Titanic Survivor Autographs

Hi everyone.

I just bought Edith Haisman's autograph for about 27$ on Ebay. I attached it here below wondering if anyone can see if it is genuine. Greg, does it look the same as your Eidth autograph?

I also wonder if anyone has information about the ship on the postcard. I have tried google, but I don't find anything.

The auction I won was this: item=3250171154

Do you know if the cards have any value?
I have seen Edith Haisman's autograph a couple of time on Ebay and it has often been sold for more than 100$ Millvina Dean's autograph is usally sold for between 20$ and 100$ dependent of what she has signed.

best regards, Mikael from Sweden.

79926.jpg

Hello Mikael

My mother's autograph on your picture of the ''New York'' is not clear enough for me to identify properly for you. However, you and other autograph hunters should be extremely wary regarding autographs that are supposedly hers. Unfortunately, fraudsters have been at work and there are far too many in circulation for all of them to be genuine.

Yours Sincerely,

David Haisman

The ship on the postcard started life as the City of New York and was built in Glasgow in 1888 for the Inman Line, for whom it won the Blue Riband. Later it became the New York of the American Line, and this was the ship which famously broke free from its moorings and almost collided with Titanic at the start of its voyage. By that time it had undergone a major refit and had only two funnels.

http://www.greatships.net/newyork.html

Hi again.

Thank you Bob for the information about SS New York. I didn't knew before that the ship Titanic almost collided with was so big. I thought it was another smaller ship.

Thank you again David for helping me with the autograph.

best regards, Mikael

I HAVE A AUTHENTIC W/CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY - SIGNED S.W. FISHER PRINT -- SIGNED BY TITANIC SURVIVORS --EVA HART & MELVINA DEAN (PASSED AWAY MAY 31ST, 2009). IT IS IN EXCELLENT
CONDITION!!!!! WOULD LIKE SOME RESPONSES TO THE VALUE OF THIS PRINT. THANK YOU RICH

Hi there,

I might point out that posting in all caps is the equivalant of screaming in here, just so you know.
You might wait until "sympathy" purchasing/selling is over and things reflect reality again. The period of time after a celebrity of any sort passes on is not a good time for realistic pricing on either side of any purchase in most cases, except perhaps for those out to make a buck (I don't mean you). Her name was Millvina by the way, not Melvina - her "real" name Elizabeth Gladys Dean.
In my collections I have a hand colored photo from 1924, taken aboard the Adriatic no less (the ship she and her surviving family returned to England on), which she inscribed to me personally just at the end of last year and I'd never sell it no matter the offer - literally. I'll share it here. Lots of people have her signature as she signed huge amounts of material - in some cases several hundred in one evening alone. Most of these are modern postcards and prints that were mass produced. You have two signatures so that is a plus of course. My little photo is literally unique - vintage, great Titanic tie-in twice over and with a lovely, rather long inscription (she was having trouble signing as this time) and I treasure it more than I can say. Captain Smith also made some very interesting statements aboard this ship in 1907 in N.Y. when he brought her over on her MV - remarks about his career and wrecks that would read very differently just a few years later.

I don't recall if/where I read it, but I think someone said she was a truly wonderful Lady - who just happened to be on Titanic - she would have been incredible to know had she never set foot on that ship.

"Aboard the Adriatic" Hand Tinted Original Photograph taken in 1924, Signed by Miss Millvina Dean on 9.26.08

Best,
Eric

Hello Richard,

Welcome aboard. Please do not type in ALL CAPS, as it is considered to be shouting. As per the rules for the message board:

Never use ALL CAPS or a VaRiAtIoN. It is hard to read, considered rude and generally very unpopular!

Thank you for your co-operation.

Hi Eric,

I don't recall if/where I read it, but I think someone said she was a truly wonderful Lady - who just happened to be on Titanic - she would have been incredible to know had she never set foot on that ship.

Darren Honeycutt in his post quoted Phil Gowan, in the thread regarding Millvina's passing.

Hi Jason,

So sorry - I did not mean to play moderator! I was just trying to help. And thanks - knew I had read that somewhere. And it is so true. In my very limited interaction - she was a indeed a lady of the best sort.

Hi Eric,

No worries.

You're welcome. And yes, Millvina was truly a wonderful and remarkable woman.

By the way, nice postcard there!

Back