Beesley in a 10-gallon hat

Pat Cook

Don't you hate to admit when you're wrong?

For those of you who had the tenacity to read my article on Lawrence Beesley you may recall my saying that after he returned to England after writing his book he never went to sea again.

Guess what? Apparently, he did.

Senan Molony sent along a tidbit that he'd come across that a certain Lawrence Beesley travelled on the S. S. Minnehaska to New York in 1913. I thought there may be some mistake (us Texans hate to be wrong). Fortunately, Fiona Nitschke-Beckwith, when checking the Ellis Island records, pointed out that THIS particular Beesley was 24 years old - OUR L. B. would've been around 35. I emailed Sen with this news. Not to be outdone, he emailed me back with FURTHER info. Turns out, according to the ships manifest that the 'Minnehaska Beesley' was 5' 11" tall, with blue eyes and born in Wirksworth AND had been to the U. S. in 1912. YIKES!

I do hereby stand corrected. Lawrence Beesley DID make, at least, one other trip across the pond.

Oh, you're probably wondering about my topic heading. Beesleys 1913 desitination? Dallas, Texas. Any guesses, anyone?

Best regards,
Cook

Cookster:
That Ellis Island record is a little tough to find, with the first page of the manifest about 5 pages after the second. I noticed he listed his occupation as a Librarian. I've liked Beesley ever since you told me he was a golfer. Now I understand your fascination with Mr. B -- besides lying about his golf scores, he apparently also lied about his age.
Happy New Year You Old F...
Herb Old

Cook,

It's good to be wrong sometimes - even when you're a Texan - because it leads you to even greater things! I mean how else could you have discovered that Mr. Beesley had the good sense to visit Dallas at least once in his life?

All the best Titanic folk have some Lone Star Link. Beesley really already had a posthumous one, thanks to you. Now he can qualify as an Honorary Texan!

Hooray for a 10-gallon Big-D Beesley!

Randy

Pat,

Considering, that if this Beesley is THE Beesley, he would be an "alien" subject, thus the Ellis record should show his destination, or at least some contact address with whom he will be staying whilst in the US. He might have been heading for the same place as he did in 1912 ... ?

Daniel.

If you check the last link Randy provided, you'll see that most of Pat's plays contain ... "COMEDY" ... that's probably why Pat's so funny!
proud.gif

Dear Ran and Dan (sorry, guys - couldn't resist)

First, Lawrence Beesley's destination, as written in the 1913 Minnnehaska manifest WAS Dallas, Texas. And, in an interesting second twist, when listing his prior U S trip, he ALSO said Dallas, Texas. I have a copy of a letter written by Lawrence to the Fenwicks (thanking them for the photo on the Carpathia) in which he lists his itinerary in great detail; all cities either in Northern U S or in Canada (he mentions Boston twice; I suppose he went through there on two separate occasions). Nowhere does he mention Dallas. Curiouser and curiouser.

And Randy, thanks for the plug! I need all the help I can get!

Best holiday wishes, y'all
Cook

Cook:
All kidding aside, with your permission, can Randy attach all those wonderful websites to your "Introduce Yourself" file. In my case, they are now permamently in my "Favorites" file, but I'd like to know where they are the next computer crash. You are an inspiration, Pat.

Pat,

In this case, what are the chances that the 1913 Beesley is not actually THE Beesley? Also, one has to be careful of the Ellis searches on the web. All passengers (so long as they're on the list, whether they cancelled or not) come up on the search. One has to check the original manifest to make sure the name is not actually crossed out. Also, some people that are actually on the list (and on the web) sometimes do not appear in the search. I've previously encountered all these problems, so I thought I should warn.

Daniel.

Dear Daniel,

Good point. For what it's worth, and as you well know, when you go to the Ellis Island Records, you can look at the original manifest, which I did (they even have a photo of the Minnehaska!). This was where Molony and I got most of our information.

According to the original - Lawrence Beesley, from London, was 5' 11", blue eyes, born in Wirksworth and had been to the U S before in 1912. I have been to the Wirksworth census pages for the years 1841, 1851 and 1881 and there was only one family of Beesleys - our boy Lawrence's. However, they're posting new census records soon so I'll be back there.

Also, again according to the Minnehaska manifest, he was going to Dallas to see a friend, not a relative. As to whether or not he made this reservation and then canceled and this entry was not crossed out, I can't say - this all came to light in the last week. Even if he DID cancel, he made it in the first place so he MUST'VE known somebody in Dallas.

Of course, there was that American heiress he was pursuing halfheartedly...

Happy New Year, sir!

Best regards, O M,
Cook

ps. Kritina, I believe, as far as I can tell, Lawrence may still have ridden the range in the Lone Star state.

Back