Britannic 2000

Is there a thread on this movie ? ("Britannic" - A 2000 movie with Jacqueline Bisset, Amanda Ryan and others.) Fairly good "mystery-thriller-spy" type but almost a carbon copy of Cameron's "helicopter shots" throughout the movie and the sinking and "Rose and Jack in the water scene" at the end. Just finished watching.

I think there is a thread on this somewhere. One of the mods will move the posts if they desire.

I thought it was OK. Entertaining. But definitely NOT the thing to base any kind of historical research off of.
It's still fun to watch on occasion. I find myself watching it usually about once a year.

Robert / Matthew:

There doesn't appear to be a thread specifically devoted to this film, but some comments regarding it can be found in this thread.

I have this one on tape somewhere. Where exactly, I don't particularly care. I think that sums up pretty well my feelings for this film, although I did find it entertaining when I was 14.

I'd watch it again for the CGI ship and for Amanda Ryan - but what good is a 'Britannic' film with no Violet Jessop??? Or did I miss something?

And if they're going to concoct a story leading up to the sinking, seems as if at least the sinking should conform to history - say, for instance, the time of day, you know, little things like that . . .

>>but what good is a 'Britannic' film with no Violet Jessop??? Or did I miss something?<<

Well, since the film didn't make even the remotest attempt to be faithful to history, I'd have been surprised if Miss Jessop had even been mentioned. The only reason she's even on the historian's radar screen is because she wrote her memoirs on her career. Had she not done that, I don't think she'd have even been known except as just another name on the crew list. One of several hundred.

Michael-

>>Let's just say that I found this film to be as unimpressive as it was unconvincing. The CGI was decent but the story was way past unbelievable.<<

As usual, you have read my thoughts and expressed it exactly as I felt. :)

>>As usual, you have read my thoughts and expressed it exactly as I felt. :)<<

Gawds! I hope that doesn't make me a telepath!
shock.gif

Seriously, I doubt that anybody who knows even the rudiments of Britannic's history could possibly be impressed by this film. The base plot was bad enough with the heroine climbing into bed with and boffing the Bad Guy at about the time she begins to think she's a the Bad Guy (Yeah...right!) the running firefight through the passageways that doesn't seem to blow her cover and which the crew doesn't seem to hear of, but the I think the final straw was when that one scene had the sinister U-boat following the Britannic and keeping up with her while submerged!

Give me a break!

>>Had she not [written her memoirs], I don't think she'd have even been known except as just another name on the crew list. One of several hundred.

Ah, the power of the printed word.

Well, the main character of Britannic did pull a Violet Jessop of sorts, having also survived the Titanic disaster. I always wondered whether or not the film's writers had actually been inspired by her story. Perhaps they read a short blurb about a woman having witnessed all three episodes in the history of the Olympic Class liners and thought it'd be neat if their character did the same.

As for Violet Jessop not being known had it not been for the publication of her memoirs, I suspect she would still not be as known as she is had she not survived both tragedies and been aboard during Olympic's collision. This makes her story especially captivating for those interested. Every passage I can remember reading about her in books has focused on her bizarre luck (or misfortune, whichever way you see it).

IIRC, I read something written by the man who originally wrote the screenplay that this was supposed to be a sequel to JC's Titanic, with Rose being the main role.. I seem to remember him saying that the original version was more correct in terms of the historical aspect, but several changes were made by the director to make the plot more exciting.

Yes, Violet was lucky because she survived these three disastrous events. But at the same time she was unfortunate because she had to endure the ordeals. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time!

>>As usual, you have read my thoughts and expressed it exactly as I felt. :)<<

>>Gawds! I hope that doesn't make me a telepath!<<

OK ! Let's just say "great minds run in the same circles" and leave it at that. :)

Let's all hear it for the moderator....Hip Hip !...

Back