Bruce Ismay and the Ring's Taunt by Senan Molony

All, I may be rambling here (senile decay Mr Behe!) but I remember seeing the original telegrams sent from the Carpathia (and those not sent) when John Booth still had the complete set.
I also recall one, concerning a female passenger who was notifying a relative of her escape, with the words "charge to Ismay" written across it. Can anyone back up this tale? I'm sure it's probably in the John Booth book but I've loaned it to someone!

Geoff

Geoff,

Sorry that I can't be of any help regarding the telegram since I don't have the Booth book in front of me.

I would like to say that I spoke to William MacQuitty at length in 1996 regarding the Edith Russell/Bruce Ismay relationship. Mr. MacQuitty firmly believes their relationship was more than just friendly, and related tales that Edith told him about Ismay through the years. While Edith was prone to "stretching" some of the details of her Titanic experience, Mr. MacQuitty does not doubt her claim regarding Ismay.

Mr. MacQuitty is truly a classy gentleman, and I'm sure would be happy to discuss Edith's memories with anyone who may be interested. The Ismay revelations are quite interesting....

Best,

Mike Findlay

Hi Mike,

I had heard of the possible Ismay/Rosenbaum story before from another source. When I was researching the Empress of Ireland's passengers for Dave Zeni's book I came upon the Cheape family (landed gentry with property in the South and Scotland). The Cheape's lost a married daughter, Catherine Beatrice Cay, in the Empress disaster and one of Bruce's sisters had married into the Cheape family. Of course, this was in the days of the great house parties when virtually an entire family would descend on one of the ancestral homes for the weekend. I was told by the family that during the period around 1910 Bruce Ismay had been to one of these gatherings with an American lady "known to be not his wife" and that the Cheape family had wondered how the two had ever been thrown together as Ismay himself was reserved and extremely shy to the point of rudeness. His companion, whose name my informant could not recall (she would of course have been a very small child - but small children love to listen in!) was just the opposite, brash to the point of being vulgar and deemed "thoroughly unsuitable for an English Gentleman's Mistress!!" by the family. Whoever she was, and I really couldn't say if it was Edith, was no looker - in fact one of the family referred to her as looking like "a bulldog chewing a wasp!"
I had rather formed the opinion that if Ismay did indeed have a paramour aboard the Titanic, then she would probably be unlisted which is why I raised the point about the telegram.
Hope all is well with you Mike - I had a two hour phone call from Bob the other night in which we put the world to rights!

Geoff

Oops! I meant to say that it was Ismay's daughter, Margaret, who married into the Cheape family. Given the close connection it seems incredible that Ismay would attend such a house party with a mistress? Could it be, I wonder, another member of the Ismay clan that the Cheapes were confusing with Bruce?

Geoff

5063.jpg

Bill MacQuitty: "So, Edith, tell us about this amusing pig you had in your cabin..."
Miss Russell (or is it Rosenbaum?):
"Oh he got off in Collapsible C."

Just wondering: If this story is true, and IF Bruce Ismay had a mistress aboard, wouldn't this necesarily interefere with his ability to interfere with the ship's navigation?

Dear all,

Thank you for that marvelous story. I have long regarded Miss Russell/Rosenbaum as a bit of a card and it's lovely to have further information on this. Fascinating. What wouldn't I do for a gander at her unpublished manuscript.

Am I picking up a certain, er, partiality here though? Surely there are men interested in more than a pretty face? I understand our Edith was quite witty and vivacious rather than pretty and vacuous. She may've even had a neat set of pins under those hobble skirts. Well, good company at least until 'later years".
5064.gif

Am avidly leafing through Booth/Coughlan looking for further evidence to back up that from Dave G's unimpeachable source.

Thanks again,

Fiona

The thick plottens Do they now? Well, really.

Hi Geoff,

Still haven't located the Booth book. If you saw my office at home, I'm sure you could imagine why.

Thanks for the info on the Cheape family - I never heard that before. Personally, I do believe that Edith and Bruce Ismay knew one another but I hesitate to elaborate on just "how" well". A few fellow researchers have chuckled that the White Star Line put Russell up on A deck so Ismay could sneak in to visit her on his trips to the bridge. I've always wondered why Edith Russell specifically remembered Nicholas Martin, the White Star Line agent at Cherbourg. Her recollections of her dialogue with him were pretty interesting. Although a veteran traveler, did Edith know him because of other connections???

Bob told me about your phone call the other evening. You will be hearing some unbelievable news concerning a recent find by RMS T. Judy Geller called me last night...I'll send you an e-mail. I still owe you one concerning Marion Smith....

I'm sure Bob told you that both of us, along with Jack and Charlie, and perhaps George and Cindy Tulloch, will be attending the BTS convention. I look forward to seeing you again. Will Dave Zeni be coming as well? I've lost his e-mail. It would be great to see him again.

Regards,

Mike

5067.jpg

"...so I said to Brucie, 'Did the ship move for you?', but he could only feel a slight rustle..."

MacQuitty: "Um, er, yes. Well, we've got Ian Holm doing Ismay this time."

"Oh dear. I had rather hoped - oh, never mind."

your_image.gif

"This is a very tricky position in which we find ourselves, Edith."

"Well, Bill, I hesitate to say this publicly, but the ship did... um, invert, you know."

Back