The Real Jack Dawson by Senan Molony

An incredibly well-researched, well-written and fascinating article, one of the best that I have seen! I agree that the story of the real-life J. Dawson was much more interesting than Cameron's fictional character (whom I didn't particularly care for; also I thought DiCaprio was the wrong choice for the part, but that's getting too OT).

In another coincidence of names, there was also a real Rose Dawson -- not a First Class passenger but the daughter of a surviving fireman. "Titanic Voices" lists a Rose Dawson, nee Major, under "Interviewees and Correspondents". On page 174, there is a picture of the little girl, Rose Major, along with her mother, who was also named Rose Major. They were the wife and daughter of fireman William Major. Dawson was obviously the married name of the younger Rose.

Barbara

I think my inital post on this topic was a little bit off the beam in places. A thousand pardons, folks.
I think I ought not to have jumped to conclusions about the cruise ships and Halifax, too.

Richard (maybe I should sleep on it before I post some of my writings?) K.

Senan, Did you see the original of the photo of Joseph Dawson in military uniform? I was told that it was his wedding photograph but as the bride was a Protestant she had been removed from the photo with a pair of scissors!
Geoff
p.s. look below for a further thread in which I have answered your last email to me - my system is still "unwell"!

Saw both Geoff. Thanks for the address. The Dawson picture is ripped and does show the outline of a woman's bonnet below him, but there's nothing in it. Probably taken at some concert. There's no connection between the two figures because they are in different rows, upper and lower, and the rip is probably the indication of that - ie, that the bonnet (and the woman who may have been beneath) is of no significance. People who have seen it now are spinning all sorts of yarns. The family don't say anything of the kind.
Thanks for the Monica thing. I'll try her.

Marvelous article, Sen -- thanks for sharing! You really can bring the dead to life. :)

For those who haven't already done so, be sure and get a copy of Sen's book, "The Irish Aboard Titanic". (And be sure to have a hankie or 2 handy -- Sen manages to convey these people's lives and dreams, and even their hoped-for destinations once reaching New York... then tells you, in a single, powerful word, whether they survived or were lost.)

But getting back to Halifax, even (IMHO) questionable ventures like the Cameron movie can have some positive consequences. As I understand it, prior to the release of the film, and its attendant upsurge in interest in Titanic, the Halifax graveyards were in deplorable condition. I do believe there was a movement afoot by serious Titanic buffs to force the town to do something about same, but the lure of the tourist dollar was a huge enticement. By the time we visited, in 1998, new signs had been installed, the grounds were manicured, and Fairview looked great.

Seeing the heap of flowers on Joseph Dawson's grave, far outnumbering those elsewhere (tho some kindly soul had left bouquets for the Palsson mother and child and many others, as well), I first thought, "How ironic!", then re-thought, and decided it was far better to be remembered, albeit incorrectly, than to be forgotten altogether, buried a continent away from one's family. Of course, at that time, the "remembrance" hadn't been carried to the extreme of chipping away at his gravestone.

Even if the whole T to-do did cause cruise lines to add Halifax to their schedules, they would have succeeded in introducing their passengers to a wonderful, vibrant city which reminded me a bit of Boston. As Gavin points out, there are many, many good reasons to go there. Our visit coincided with the annual International Busker Festival, which was great fun. Also, for the disaster-fascinated, the Halifax area has had more than its share. From what I read, the Titanic disaster provided a "training ground" for dealing with the subsequent Halifax Explosion, a collision between a munitions ship and a second ship. Then, too, there's the Atlantic, and Swissair...

But there is another reason besides Titanic for cruise lines to have added Halifax to their ports-of-call: it fits in nicely with their spring-to-fall voyages to eastern Canadian cities from NY and points north, an alternate itinerary to Alaska or Europe, or Bermuda, or the Caribbean, which is best saved for North American winter.

Regards to all -- Susan

P.S. Thanks for that info on Rose Dawson, Barbara -- that was quite a shock! :)

Irony is a good way to put it, Susan.
This case ranks right alongside how lots of people mistook Arthur Penn's depiction of George Armstrong Custer in "Little Big Man" for an accurate depiction of the real G.A.C. Thus, many people thought George was the same as Richard Mulligan's Custer.
For all the controversey surrounding G.A.C., it is a true fact that he was not at all like Mulligan's Custer!
Regarding the whole Joe D.'s grave thing, in my opinion it started out innocent. So I can see your point about Joe being remembered incorrectly rather than forgotten, but when the flowers were joined by Leo D. pics and other "love offerings" (to put it delicately), and there were pieces being chipped from the headstone, the whole thing at Joe D.'s grave slid rapidly into the tacky, tasteless, and decadent (IMO).
Why, I was so enraged when I fully learned what had happened to Joe D.'s grave, I was ready to cast the whole of Titanic movie mania into the lowest level of Hell I could find. I confess I've been a harsh critic of what happened at Dawson's grave ever since, too.
Grave trashing is sacrelegious.
It's bad enough that celebrities graves are trashed, and it borders on outright moral corruption (IMHO) when something like the decadence-fest at Joe's grave happens. And, in my opinion, decadent things are rampant these days, and so what happened to Joe D.'s grave is just yet another sad example, IMHO.

Richard (full of opinions about the T. saga) K.

P.S. I've recanted from that cruise ship opinion of mine, btw, now that I know more about why those ships stop at Halifax. R.K.

Sen -

I understand your accent very well :) I'm tinkin' it's Tirsty Tursday again today, isn't it? 'Course when my own accent is a thorough hotch potch of Oz, English, and even (alledgedly) American, it tunes the ear into other tongues.

You know I don't don the cheerleader outfit and pom poms unless they're thoroughly merited...but I don't believe in half measures when I do. Like the book, the article packs an emotional punch.

Ing

NOW HEAR THIS: has Joe's grave been FIXED, and now is clean of all innane, tasteless trappings, or is it still a poison spot of decadence?
Thanks to anyone who can confirm or deny.

Richard K.

Outrage against what happened at Joe D.'s grave has been-as far as I can tell-scattered and muted.
What a shame! Have we lost our sense of the sacred? Letting SACRELEGIOUS things like this go FREE without being protested through and through?!
The world is in another decadent trough, I swear.

Richard K.

Dear Senan,

I really enjoyed your article about the real J.Dawson.Excellent work,considering the lack of material.

I'm more focused on Britannic's story.Inside the article I've noticed the photo of Fireman John Priest,who was also a Britannic survivor.It would be a nice addition to my site and I would like your permission to use it.

Regards,
Michail Michailakis
Webmaster "Britannic"
http://embark.to/Britannic

Sure, you can use it as far as I am concerned, but it's not my copyright. It is a Public Record Office image and luckily they don't mind it being used as long as it is credited to them. Actually you might be best advised to check with them first, but they are very generous. Search under pro.gov.uk

I just want to say to Senan if you happen to read this: I feel that is some of the most brilliant writing my Brother!
Totally blew me away at how you painted such a vivd portrait with your gifted use of words and feelings and I haven't even read the book, only the report. That alone deserves a Pulitzer prize to me.
Respectfully yours
Paul Brown
Keyboardist/Producer/Arranger
http://paulbrownmusic.netfirms.com

Rumour has it that "The Real J Dawson" will be aired on the Discovery Channel on April 4th at 9pm. A must see for those who want to see Senan pacing the floor of...um...some archive or another (where was that scene shot? I can't recall). And Cobh. And some pretty bloody good research in there as well, even if it was cut down to digestible chunks for the general audience.

Last night I saw the Discovery Channel program about "The Real Jack Dawson." Alan Ruffman, Brian Ticehurst, Jack Eaton, Charles Haas and Senan Molony were interviewed. Another Titanic expert whose name I didn't recognize was interviewed, in Southampton. Perhaps someone else here can identify him? Also, a relative of Joseph Dawson was interviewed. In the program, they noted that James Cameron really didn't know that there was any "Dawson" aboard the Titanic until after he had written the screenplay. Dawson was a "trimmer," or in other words, one of the guys who shoveled coal around --it was miserable, backbreaking work that was done in four hour shifts. Haas made an interesting comment about the need to understand the stories of such lower class people as Dawson --saying "we owe them that." I very much agree. If we're going to get a picture of 1912 society and how it all came to head that one night-- everyone's story has to become known. The work that Ruffman, Molony, Ticehurst and others have done reveals the microcosm of society as it was when they all hit an iceberg. From there, our 20th century Illiad starts to take form. My congratultions to our 20th Century Homers, i.e., Senan, Alan, Brian and all the others for their fine work.

Back