Casting the Ultimate Titanic Movie

Clint Eastwood is a good looking 70, I'd take him as a 40 year old. Too bad all of us don't have the funds to make a movie, it would be the best. My sister and her roommate have film degrees from Hunter College so we'd be able to get cheap labor.

Hi Randy,

I love your suggestions of Kelsey Grammar playing Henry B. Harris and Harrison Ford as Benjamin Guggenheim.

Personally, I think Anthony Hopkins would make an extremely convincing W.T. Stead. His quiet, low-key manner would fit the part perfectly. Added to which Stead's photo in Eaton and Haas' "Journey Through Time" reveals an uncanny resemblance!

Ben

Ben,

I forgot W.T. Stead!!! One of the biggest of the big on Titanic! You're are right re: Hopkins. He'd be great. Also, if Marlon Brando could get his act together, he'd be a good pick for Stead. He's heavy-set and could grow a beard, if he hasn't got one already. Plus, you know how weird Brando is; it wouldn't be a great stretch for him to play eccentric old Stead. I can't believe I forgot Stead.

Who else would be a good character that we've omitted so far?

Randy

Hi Randy,

I agree Marlon Brando is an extemely credible alternative.

re Other characters, I can think of five fairly major ones:

Bob Hoskins.......................Charles M. Hays
Donald Sutherland/Steve Martin.....Walter Douglas
Dustin Hoffman.....................Clarence Moore
Jon Voight...........................Clinch Smith
Jude Law..........................Dr. Alfred Pain

Regards
Ben

I have a few suggestions.
1. Mira Sorvino as Virginia Clark ( if you saw her in the Great Gatsby you'd know what I mean )
2. The late Madeline Kahn as Helen Bishop. Picture her role in the begnning of 'Young Frankenstein'
" oh the nails!!! "
3. There is an actress that works on broadway and soap operas. her name is Robin Strasser. And physically she has an uncanny resemblance to Eleanor Widener. it is uncanny.
4. And Debrah Farentino ( Storm of the Century ) as Rene Harris.

Umm, couldn't Ioan Gruffudd just reprise his role as Lowe instead of Ewan Mcgregor? Don't get me wrong, I am VERY fond of Ewan (if you've ever seen "The Pillow Book" you know why :p), but I would rather see him as James Moody, though he is just a bit shorter than James really was, but he has a sense of humor and a sparkle in his eyes that Moody must have possessed.

And I would rather see Victor Garber as Andrews, but would like to see Liam Neeson as Jacques Futrelle (perhaps?)

Is there any way we could fit in Kate Winslet and Natalie Portman (maybe she could play Maria Penasco instead of Jennifer Lopez)?

Ioan Gruffudd might not be reprising his role as Harold Lowe anytime soon, but he is going to present the ITV Wales documentary on Lowe which is filming at the moment. Scenes in North Wales have already been done, and Gruffudd (whose shooting had to be delayed due to his other film committments) will be doing his segments this month.

I'd be inclined to cast unknowns in the roles of officers - I'd like to see, if possible, ages and general physical appearance adhered to, and people that (if not indigenous to the location these men originated) are at least capable of doing the regional accents. I'd also like to see hardened, non-Hollywood edge to them - even the youngest, Moody, had been at sea for almost a decade. If you've read Lubbock and other contemporary sources you know the sort of escapades they got up to.

Liam Neeson should be an Irish character - I'd cast him as James Farrell (although perhaps he's already a bit old for that role).

How's this for casting... at least as long he is still young enough. Haley Joel Osmont (the incredible child actor from The Sixth Sense) playing Frankie Goldsmith?

Also, I would recast the Allisons, though I think Daniel Day Lewis and Kristin Scott Thomas would be perfect as the Harris'. The Allisons were still quite young, so how about maybe Kate Hudson as Bess and Joaquin Phoenix as Hudson Allison? (Consolations for them not winning their respective Oscars last night)

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on casting Edith Evans? Winona Ryder, perhaps?

I know a role that Johnny Depp might find offbeat enough! How about Baker Charles Joughin, he could work some physical comedy into that role.

There are also a number of opportunities here for Catherine Zeta Jones to redeem herself after her previous Titanic disaster TV movie. She would be great as either Edith Evans or the Countess of Rothes. If she and Michael Douglass have a sense of humour they could also play J. J. and Madeline Astor.

I have spent the last two hours trying to fit in the stars of one of my all time favorite movies "An American Beauty" into this. I have come up with some off beat roles for them. If Kevin Spacey added a mustache, I think he'd be terrific as Bruce Ismay. I don't know why but when I think of Annette Bening, I keep coming back to thinking of her as Rosa Abbott.

OK, think I've finally tossed off all my Titanic casting ideas. What do you think?

Back