Edwardian evening gown

here is one of my edwardian dresses and shoe
dsc01818.jpg

Wow, the shoes are in remarkable condition--yes I can see some tears but I advise you to spray them with an adhesive or clear fabric sealant and allow them to dry where dust or bugs won't stick to them in the process. This will prevent the tears from getting worse.

I'll have to post some photos of my gowns. Two of them were created from pictures of Lady Duff-Gordon original couture.

This gown was created from a 1916 design of Lady Duff-Gordon's Lucile Ltd. couture (source:Tom Tierney's Great Fashion Designs of the Belle Epoque)

dscn2426.jpg

I designed this gown using pieces from several patterns on hand, inspired by an illustration I found on RaspberryBeret.com

dscn2431.jpg

My own version of The Flying Dress using the Vogue pattern of the same.

dscn2435.jpg

This gown I designed using the "Simplicity Swim Dress" pattern. I made it for my daughter so it's a smaller size than the other gowns.

dscn2443.jpg

This is as close to an exact replica of a suit sold in a 1916 Sears catalog as my skills would allow.

dscn2447.jpg

One of my favorite gowns in TITANIC is the breakfast gown Kate Winslet wore when "Cal" overturned the table on the private promenade deck. So this breakfast dress is inspired by that one--and is one of my favorites in the collection. You'll notice I used the same fabrics as the "swim dress" I made for my daughter. Loved the fabric but didn't want to make identical gowns. The yellow print is the robe over the blue gown with white embroidery on both front and back bodices.

dscn2458.jpg

Inspired by Scarlett O'Hara, I call this one my "curtain gown." Underneath that is the same gown with the matching embroidered shawl.

dscn2461.jpg

dscn2462.jpg

This gown was inspired by the Ken Marschall painting of the Grand Staircase--there was a woman descending the stairs wearing a luscious red gown with black sash and flower on the shoulder. I later learned that Ken used an actual gown by Lucile Ltd. for that image!

dscn2468.jpg

dscn2471.jpg

One of my favorites, inspired by a Lanvin "at home dress" circa 1912. I was thrilled when I walked into the fabric shop and spotted this material almost identical to the actual Lanvin gown. I also designed a matching hat, pictured separately.

dscn2481.jpg

dscn2487.jpg

I didn't make this blouse. It's an actual vintage lace blouse from the Victorian era and I loved it so much. It was very exciting to win this in an auction.

dscn2512.jpg

I don't have a really good photo of my black beaded embroidery gown with velvet shawl, but I will post one as soon as I can. I didn't make it--actually bought it on sale at Macy's but it's perfectly Edwardian.

These are not gowns that I made, but part of my collection. This one is a vintage nightgown topped with a stage lifebelt.

dscn3534.jpg

Here is a detail of the embroidery on the nightgown.

dscn3536.jpg

Detail of the back of the nightgown.

dscn3557.jpg

My First Class evening gown (front)

dscn3550.jpg

(Back)

dscn3556.jpg

My velvet embroidered shawl to go with my gown.

dscn3543.jpg

Hallo Chad - always good to see another vintage clothing collector! My main area of interest is a bit later - primarily 1920s - although I do dabble occasionally in the teens and 30s. I've dealt online with Vintage Martini and have found them excellent - they recently had a great sale and I picked up a couple of cloches I was very pleased with, in addition to a 30s gown. I'll have to send an email to Bon Ton to see if they sell internationally. I'm way behind in the Ballyhoo thread, but I've been on an anti-Recession buying spree lately (in true 1920s denial and spenthriftlessness). One of my favourite recent buys is a House of Adair green velvet dress with with heavy pink beadwork c. 1922-23 and a matching pink silk opera cape. Also some fantastic evening cloches.

Love your gowns, Kyrila - Lanvin is one of my favourite designers from the Edwardian period, and possibly my very favourite of the 1920s. Do you have the lavishly illustrated Merceron coffee table book? Glorious. I don't have any of her earlier dresses, but do have one from 1932 that looks quite transitional - shorter hem with a training "peacock" hem, waist sitting quite low. It's in excellent condition - just a tiny nibble or two on the taffeta sash and one or two repairs in the lace - but I've only ever dared wear it for a quick couple of photos as I'd never forgive myself if it were harmed.

I hadn't heard of that one, Inger. My interest is more Victorian and Edwardian, so my collection of books about historic clothing are narrowed to those eras. Although I would love to have something on Coco Chanel. Charles Worth is one of my favorites, as is Lucile Ltd. But I also love Paul Poirot, Doeuillet and Drecoll. I have a friend here who collects Edwardian gowns and has a gorgeous Charles Worth that her daughter wore in the documentary, TITANIC REVEALED. I was wearing my red gown in the photos featured in that same documentary.

How many gowns do you have, Chad? Are you registered with the guild in Hollywood? Costume designers are always looking for sources for authentic period clothing when costuming films.

Tom Tierney illustrated a "paper dolls" book called NEWPORT FASHIONS OF THE GILDED AGE which actually features two gowns worn by Mrs. George Widener (a reception gown from 1890 and a 1913 "at home" gown) and a day dress worn by the widow Mrs. John Jacob Astor in 1913 at a sporting event following the birth of her son. In fact, Madeleine's outfit is featured on the back cover of the book, while Mrs. Widener's black velvet reception gown is on the front cover--featuring a rope of her famous pearls dangling almost to her knees.

The Vanderbilts are also featured among other Newport hostesses. It is interesting to note that Tom Tierney included a bit of trivia regarding the Widener's Newport home, Miramar, being designed by Julian Abele, the first major African-American architect.

oh my collection isn't what it use to be......at one point I had over 300 hats,400 dresses,200 pairs of shoes and over 4,000 pieces of antique jewelry...and that was my personal collection....not including my store stock......at the time I had a 3 bedroom house.....one of then bedroom was converted to a closet.........about 5 years ago I decided to sell a few pieces.......i am down to 150 dresses,60 hats,and 15 pairs of shoes....i can't seem to get rid of the jewelry......i have it all over the place.....love the way it sparkles

That sounds like an absolutely magnificent collection, Chad - I imagine that what you've saved must be some of the absolutely choice pieces? I haven't done an inventory on my collection in a while - I'm behind in updating my acquisitions files - but the conservation boxes are filling up all the available places. The pieces you linked to in this thread look like quintessential classics...absolutely book-worthy.

I'm fond of a bit of sparkle myself! One reason why I've built up a bit of a collection of late teens/early 20s diamante bandeaux...and why I have a deep and abiding affection for the beaded and sequinned dresses of the 20s.

Kyrila, you'd love the Merceron book on Lanvin's work - it extends back to her Edwardian beginnings. Some of the millinary work in particular is breathtaking (remembering that she began her design career as a milliner).

I only have a couple of books on Chanel - there's The World of Coco Chanel which is an interesting look at her in her cultural context (some of the earliest Edwardian photos of her are absolutely fascinating) and Chanel: The Couturier at Work.

How about Elegance: The Seeberger Brothers and the Birth of Fashion Photography? Nicely illustrated, covering Edwardian fashion through the 30s.

I've seen the Tierney books advertised (I was particularly chuffed to see he did an Annette Kellerman paper doll) but have never seen one "in the flesh". The Worth dress sounds absolutely fantastic - I'm a bit of a fan of both Charles Frederick Worth (1825 - 1895)and his sons, Gaston and Jean-Phillipe. Absolutely classic style You're probably familiar with Poiret's early work with the Worth brothers?

Chad--your collection isn't what it used to be, but it's still immense! Hollywood costumers would love to have your phone number! Do you have a website with photographs of your collection on display? If not, you should. It's also a good way to inventory your items for insurance purposes.

Inger--Yes, I would love those books! Most of my books on costuming are the Dover Publishing collections of antique catalogs, the Peacock chronicles, the Tierney paper doll books and such that feature a number of illustrations of various designers and eras. Purpose of the collection of books was to guide me as a theater costumer. I would love to start getting books about individual designers, and these titles are making me salivate! Hopefully I can find a new job soon so I can put those in my shopping cart.

Back