Engine Specifications as per the "engineering notebook"

New number to add to the plethora of data and dimensions concerning the engines: the flywheel attached to the crankshaft, the one driven by the turning engine, had 94 teeth. Source (I counted the teeth on the flywheel by using MS Paint to mark at 5-tooth intervals)

I am not too sure why you want to know how many teeth the Kempton engine flywheel has? The flywheel is 17ft diameter and the pitch of teeth is 4inch. Making 160 teeth's on flywheel. The pinion gear engaging the flywheel has 12 teeth.
The flywheel is 32 tons each made in two half due to the railway weight limit of 16 tons. Crankshaft is 30 tons made in two half All casting size had to be consider for railway bridges and tunnels restrictions.This is the same problems Titanic had to face as many parts were made in England and shipped over to Belfast. The Kempton engines were made in Newark on Trent before transported down to Kempton Park near Heathrow.
Next Kempton live steam up September 22-23. On Sunday only Classic Car & Bike Show is throw in too. Also a working on a 2ft gauge railway a steam engine. As in the past the coal was transported from the Thames river two and half miles away.

It's not the Kempton engine's flywheel I was referring to, but the flywheel for Titanic's engine (q.v. the pic linked in my above post). That's the one that has only 94 teeth.

Back