Engines in reverse

Hello everyone,
I have been a member of the Association Française du Titanic since 2007, and its president from 2010 to 2016. I have also served 28 years as a surface warfare officer in the French Navy. I have followed some of the various exchanges on that website and read several articles and books on the technical aspects of the shipwreck for more than 10 years. I just want to provide a short contribution about the manoeuvres of a large liner. I found them in a book written in the mid 70s by the last captain of the "Liberté" and first captain of the "France" : George Croisile.
The first item describes the consequences of a sudden alteration of course on the Liberté in daylight:
“Approaching the Casquets lighthouse, the officer of the watch called me: he was going to be hampered by a squadron of minesweepers which would cross our track on starboard… We were very close. I ordered 15 degrees of starboard helm in order to cross their wake and the ship promptly altered course, taking a list of 14° to port. 14°of instant list in the Channel at noon means toppled bottles, broken plates, pans starting to glide on top of the stoves and a general mess everywhere. Several bridge telephones were ringing; The Chief Purser was adamant: lots of bottles of wine had spilled their contents on table cloths that would need to be cleaned; scores of plates had been broken ; he would have to report this unfortunate trouble to the Captain…”

The second one describes the effects of a crash stop trial on the France:
We were steaming ahead at 31 knots, and I ordered “Full astern”. Down below, the steam was thus diverted to the astern turbines, first decreasing the rotation speed of the propeller shafts to make them stop completely prior to starting to rotate them in reverse, in order to absorb the kinetic energy that kept that mass of 57 000 tons of steel rushing forward at 15,5 m/s. I felt the ship vibrating in revolt under my feet, in reaction to that tremendous brake. The ship came to a halt after running exactly 2 100 m (1 n. mile = 1 852 m).

If William Murdoch first ordered the helm hard-a-port the consequences ought ot have have been similar (and even worse) to those observed on the Liberté. If ,as a second step, he ordered both wing engines full astern the effects would have been comparable to those observed on the France, with several steerage and 2nd class passengers surging up on deck, worried by the racket and vibrations in their areas. I may add that I have personnally witnessed two crash stop trials at 25 knots on board destroyers and the ship behaved exactly like captain Croisile described. For two years, I had a berth in the stern of a destroyer, just above one of the propeller shafts, and when I was in my cabin while the ship was doing man overboard exercises I knew instantly if she was going astern or if she resumed her course. When the engines are reversed, the movement of the stern going first generates irregular vibrations that cannot be mistaken for anything else.

On the Titanic, there is no doubt that after sighting ice the OOW ordered a full stop. It is highly unlikely that the engines were reversed at the moment of, or soon after the collision. If the ship's course was altered to avoid the iceberg it seems the alteration was a slight one, not one with full rudder applied.

François Codet

I had a berth in the stern of a destroyer, just above one of the propeller shafts, and when I was in my cabin while the ship was doing man overboard exercises I knew instantly if she was going astern or if she resumed her course.

Two aircraft carriers (Ranger and George Washington) two dock landing ships (Germantown and Comstock) and one frigate (Mahlon S. Tisdale.) What you described was a lot like Old Home Week to me. If there was a crash stop, everybody knew it at once!

Cher Monsieur Codet,
Tu es très sage. Beaucoup de gens qui devraient être mieux informés ont négligé cet événement de pilotage difficile. (mon français est très mauvais alors j'ai utilisé un traducteur). Merci pour vos citations de livre.

no,iceberg was suspected minute or two before impact,it was observed half minute before impact..reversing engines would take still aroud 799 meters to stop this huge piece of steel. if they reversed only one engine and keept other one full ahead and turbine running they would avoid it,problem was lack of time for doing this,engines could not be reversed in 30 seconds i think. all they could do was just put rudder to max angle and pray.

also head on collision will result in destruction of crew quarters,any people in these compartments would be killed.....if head on collision would be initiated someone would need evacuate evryone from bow section and knowing there was no time for even moving away from iceberg,evacuation would be not possible and head on crash would be more lethal plus ,damage to hull would be bigger because two compartments compression and two other one would be demolished eventually hull plating on boiler room 6 would be bend or ever torn off due to the impact force. [do small experiment,buy one bananas and take it then make head on collision with saucer or table, look at damage to outer skin and to inside fruit,now you know what would happen to titanic] with two compartments gone and another two completly crushed with possible damage to next one was something bad,the crushed forepeak compartment and cargo hold 1 2 and 3 would flood instantly pulling bow under quickly,actually faster than iceberg damage result ... then boiler room 6 hull plating would be damaged in multiple locations causing massive flooding.

head on collision would be ebst option in meaning but actually it would be very lethal at beginning and ship probably would sink quicker due to damage spread, forepeak compartment and cargo hold 1 would be completly destroyed and flooded instantly,cargo hold 2 and 3 would be heavily damaged and flooded instantly pulling the bow under,question only is if damage from head on collision could cause hull plates of boiler room 6 and further to bend /crack.. if all stops on cargo hold 3 leaving untouched bboiler room 6 titanic would not sink but it would NEVER go ahead again, if titanic wanted reach new yourk or halifax he would have to do same thing as ww2 destroyer did "hms eskimo" by reaching port going only full astern because torpedo ripped entire bow section off,watertight doors did hold water back and hms eskimo did not sink,he reached port safely....we do not know if titanic could go astern with 20 knots..

with totally demolished bow section titanic could not move forward anymore so only full astern could be option to reach nearest or destination port....towing titanic to port would be heartstab to Ismay. he would not want this to happen

Back