Father Browne phtographs

So, upon discussing this further with others (not on this site :) ) We were debating rather or not the top line on the window should have been angled upwards, but instead just taking from the height of the outer edge, as seen.
window.png

So, for kicks and giggles I redid the numbers to account for this.

153 pixels - 4 pixels = 149

149/46in = 3.239130434782609 pixels per inch

223 pixels of man / 3.239130434782609 = 68.84563758389261 inches

68.84563758389261/12 = 5.737136465324384 feet

0.737136465324384x12 = 8.84in

5ft 8in

I will leave it to own personal judgement as to which is more accurate, though I would enjoy any input!

"There was difficulty in casting off the falls. Norman Chambers recalled that the 'little quartermaster had to crawl between our legs to the amidship portion of the boat in order to reach what was apparently called the "trigger", which is, I believe, a mechanism used to release both falls simultaneously'...".

Quote from On a Sea of Glass: The Life and Loss of the RMS Titanic, referring to Lifeboat 5, which we all know was the boat Perkis boarded.

Thanks, Ryan. That was my guess.
Also , what does the star on the sleeve mean ? Just for White Star Line ? Or for a QM ?

Carpathia passenger, Carlos Hurd would write:

In the hastily compiled list of surviving members of the crew, the names of Hichens, and other quartermasters appear among able-bodied seamen, but the star and anchor on the left sleeve of each distinguishes their rank from the A.B.'s.

(Note the man's head is tilted downward, so height is taken a back of elastic at cap)

Given the titled head, generally stooped demeanour and the elastic being just above his ears, are we not robbing this man of a few inches?

How tall was Oliver?

(Note the man's head is tilted downward, so height is taken a back of elastic at cap)

Given the titled head, generally stooped demeanour and the elastic being just above his ears, are we not robbing this man of a few inches?

How tall was Oliver?
I will see if I have a copy of his employment card, maybe that says? But indeed I could be. Its my first time trying this method of measurement which is why I posted here hoping someone with better knowledge could confirm or deny, lol. I hope I didn't rob the poor guy.

Hello everyone !

I was wondering if you knew when this picture was taken by Francis Browne ? The Physical educator is demonstrating the rowing machine and William Parr is riding the electrical horse (or camel ?). I believe before sailing time, reporters were allowed on board to photograph Titanic's interiors. If I remember correctly, they were asking people to pose for the pictures in order to bring the ship to life. Lawrence Beesley was asked to ride the bicycle with one of his friend (famous picture). Is it possible that the following photograph was taken before sailing time when passengers were posing in the gymnasium (which would explain that we see two men on the picture) ?
Gymnasium.jpg

(picture from Internet)
Or was it taken later when Browne also took the famous picture of Percival White standing near to the gymnasium on Boat Deck ?

Thank you !

Best regards,
Manon

Hello Manon, Francis Browne photographed Mr White outside Titanic's gymnasium before photographing the inside of the exercise room. I would think he took these pictures between lunch and dinner on April 10, 1912, so hours after departure. I base this assumption on the sequence of the photos in Browne's Titanic Album and the two reports he wrote of his short journey on the Titanic.

Do you know this book?

Amazon.com: Father Browne's Titanic Album: A Passenger's Photographs and Personal Memoir (9781910248270): O'Donnell, E. E., Ballard PhD, Robert D: Books

Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Hello Manon, Francis Browne photographed Mr White outside Titanic's gymnasium before photographing the inside of the exercise room. I would think he took these pictures between lunch and dinner on April 10, 1912, so hours after departure. I base this assumption on the sequence of the photos in Browne's Titanic Album and the two reports he wrote of his short journey on the Titanic.

Do you know this book?

Amazon.com: Father Browne's Titanic Album: A Passenger's Photographs and Personal Memoir (9781910248270): O'Donnell, E. E., Ballard PhD, Robert D: Books

Highly recommended!
On the other hand, Mr White's shadow in Browne's photo doesn't match the combination of Titanic's course and the period in which the photo must have been taken, while there’s a match on April 11.

I cannot solve this puzzle without the (missing) original negatives or other meta information. Maybe someone else?

Here’s the best link I could find for the said photo on the internet: File:Titanic outdoor gym.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Last edited:
On the other hand, Mr White's shadow in Browne's photo doesn't match the combination of Titanic's course and the period in which the photo must have been taken, while there’s a match on April 11.

I cannot solve this puzzle without the (missing) original negatives or other meta information. Maybe someone else?

Here’s the best link I could find for the said photo on the internet: File:Titanic outdoor gym.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Thank you for the picture Mark !

I believe it was taken on April 10th since the two men had a talk regarding the Titanic's approach of the Isle of Wight. (further details in conversation)

Cheers,
Manon

It seems that Browne's album contains all the photos he took of/on the Titanic, with the exception of the two photos in Cabin A-37. The other photo’s in chapter 4 (“Supplementary Pictures”) of the book Father Browne’s Titanic Album show either the Olympic or were taken by someone else.

There might be a third exception: a photo that is in the book - even on the front cover - but not in the album or in chapter 4.

5626646E-CE72-4E25-A333-F43B2840EF42.jpeg

Nor is this photo included in Titanic in Photographs. I wonder why? Was it because of the confusion about the authorship of the photograph? According to Fr O'Donnell, Browne sent the photo to the Odell family, while keeping a print (positive) for himself, which consequently was used for Father Browne’s Titanic Album. The “bum boat” in the lower right corner looks very similar to the one visible in the last photo Browne took of the Titanic.

16E904A1-69B3-498D-9D60-11894A484F61.jpeg

So I think it’s very likely Browne took the photo from tender Ireland’s deck, although Kate Odell and other photographers, like Thomas Barker, were of course nearby, but I see insufficient reason to argue the opposite.

For the fourth and possible last exception to the conclusion that Browne’s Titanic Album is complete, I turn to the excellent 2004 article that Senan Molony wrote about Browne’s work and the possibility that some photo’s maybe missing. The article includes a photo in which Titanic’s aerials are clearly visible. The photo was found in the estate of a contemporary of Browne and a Jesuit colleague, Fr Gill. It’s not in Father Browne’s Titanic Album, nor in Titanic in Photographs, but it’s on Titanicphotographs.com.

B8F9F598-8215-4512-834D-D6280D31BFC4.jpeg

According to the caption it shows Titanic leaving Southampton. If that’s the case, Browne would have been aboard and can’t have taken the photo. But I doubt whether the caption is correct. There’s no smoke, wake and no passengers in sight and there seems to be some sort of action at funnels #1 and #2. So the photograph must have been taken earlier between the 4th and 10th of April (?), which also dismisses Browne as author of the photo. From his eyewitness account it’s clear that he saw the Titanic for the first time on the 10th, with no time to spare to capture Titanic from the vantage point the photo was taken.

If the above is logical and complete, can we then draw the conclusion that Browne’s album contains all his Titanic photographs, except for three out of the four photo’s discussed above? That would lead to the assumption that all other photo’s Browne may have taken were either technically flawed beyond repair (and subsequently thrown away a long time ago) or went missing prior to any sharing/publication (which is hard to believe given the intense interest/scrutiny right after the sinking). The fact that Browne already 100 years ago resorted to photos from other photographers to supplement his album is an indication that he had no other (usable) photos at hand. This line of thought is further reinforced by the fact that none of the more than 40,000 negatives Fr O'Donnell discovered in an old trunk, were exposed on or near Titanic.

This is why I think the chance of new Titanic photos from Browne is sadly very slim.

Please prove me wrong!

Back