Funnel interior

Hello, Allan -

I'm a newbie researcher looking for information on the top & interior of the after/dummy funnel, and your information above is incredibly helpful (esp. about there being no funnel cap).
May I ask what the dummy funnel being "stepped" means? Can you kindly point me to a primary source that has any cite-able info/images about the 4th funnel?

I've studied the amazing Beveridge deck plans, but none seem to show the top or interior of the after funnel.
I've found a Harland & Wolff blueprint of a funnel online (attached), but it seems to be one of the working funnels, not the after funnel.

And I've seen images like these that seem very useful, but none cite a primary source with any authority:

1. Top (?) of 4th funnel, Olympic - source?
Titanic boiler room plans and systems

2. Bottom (?) of 4th funnel, Titanic - source?
Titanic Station: Titanic's Funnels, or Smokestacks

3. Worker atop the 4th funnel (?), Titanic - source?
Tumblr

Many thanks, Allan - or anyone who can help me find sources!

Best,
Laura
Never mind on #1 & #2 - I found the images in the Harland & Wolff Collection, National Museums Northern Ireland.

But #3?

Hi everyone. First post on here so thank you for reading.

I'm currently piecing together an artwork commission which involves two characters stood atop the fourth smokestack of an unnamed Olympic Class Liner. Thus far I've been using Britannic: Patroness of the Mediterranean and This Image of a 3D Render as visual reference but was unable to find anything particularly helpful with regards to the interior of the 4th funnel or whether it actually had any internal means of accessing the top. The best thing I've been able to find up until now has been this which has something that appears to be a ladder but may just be a vent?

Obviously Titanic: Adventre Out Of Time was 100% artistic liberty but I would like to minimize that as much as possible, so if anyone can advise whether or not there actually were any internal ladders or other means of accessing the top, or what that access method might be (guessing this isn't a head but a blotch on the image in just the right place?), it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike.

Hi everyone. First post on here so thank you for reading.

I'm currently piecing together an artwork commission which involves two characters stood atop the fourth smokestack of an unnamed Olympic Class Liner. Thus far I've been using Britannic: Patroness of the Mediterranean and This Image of a 3D Render as visual reference but was unable to find anything particularly helpful with regards to the interior of the 4th funnel or whether it actually had any internal means of accessing the top. The best thing I've been able to find up until now has been this which has something that appears to be a ladder but may just be a vent?

Obviously Titanic: Adventre Out Of Time was 100% artistic liberty but I would like to minimize that as much as possible, so if anyone can advise whether or not there actually were any internal ladders or other means of accessing the top, or what that access method might be (guessing this isn't a head but a blotch on the image in just the right place?), it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike.
Mike: as to your last link, that is, indeed the head of a worker—likely a stoker. I believe the photo was taken at Queenstown. There is some lore about it having been a “bad omen”.

What isnt clear is that the fourth funnel, had access for fan electrical connections, a trap door/ hatch entry for electricians to turn on/ off fans and maintain that, also, the funnels must have had water drains for any places where water would accumulate, else the outer funnel spaces would fill up with rain and storm water.. i ventured the fourth funnel when trying to work out the route one of the electrical staff used to exit the control room space, shortly before the hull fracture... since his statement though certainly confusing, implies he used a spiral staircase to reach the base of funnel four, and then he climbed up onto the external fan housings there.. i.e he did not climb up inside the funnel.. because he would have needed to use a hatch... a dedicated and probably locked or restricted access point to get inside the funnel itself.. where there was a ladder from base to top.. that space wasnt electrical lit, as far as i know.. one needed oil lamps...
1636215954639.png

Alfred White used the spiral staircase to reach the base of funnel four.. he knew the route, his work included the inner funnel fan access, but i dont think he climbed the ladder inside funnel four, or the one on its outside... he stood on the external fan roof to see the ship fracture.. Electricity During Sinking

Back