Giving up his space

It the film A Night To Remember it shows Chief Baker Charles Joughin giving up his seat in order to allow a woman to go with her daughter, i was wondering if this really happened or whether it was added in to add effect to the film?? and also in the film he asks a man named Joe to take the tiller, does anyone have any ideas as to who this Joe could be??
Thanks Guys
Matteo :)

Joughin's own testimony reveals that he was assigned as 'captain' of boat 10, but that far from needing to give up his place for a woman and child the crew had difficulty finding women willing to enter the boat and eventually they brought some up from A Deck 'by force'. Before the partially filled boat was lowered Joughin stood by awaiting the order to board but two sailors and a steward were ordered in and he was not called. He seemed to accept that without complaint - a baker doesn't question the orders of the Chief Officer. And he certainly didn't know the names of the sailors. So it seems that the screenwriter for ANTR put two and two together and came up with five.

If Joughin was right that he had been assigned as the boat's commander, that would seem to be an odd choice. Wilde put AB Edward Buley in charge, which makes a lot more sense.

Oh right, is there anywhere online or in books that i could read up on the testimonies of the survivors?? Ah right, am I right in guessing that the women from A deck would have been mainly made up of 2nd Class Women?? I'm guessing that the Sailors wold have been Buley and Evans and the Steward being Burke, but what about Fireman/Stoker Rice would he have been ordered in as well?? I don't think a baker arguing with the Chief Officer would have been the best ting to do, guess it's a bit like a cleaner shouting at the company director, judging by the names of the crew in charge he certainly didn't, yeah he certainly did, good film though, Bob where do you find all of this stuff out??
Thanks

Matteo, I've already told you where to find the crew testimonies online. See my answer to your question in another thread about 'crew books'.

The women and children brought up from A Deck by Joughin were 3rd Class, if I remember right. You can check that when you read his testimony.

Sorry Bob didn't notice that bit, i'm on the site now though, oh right, I thought it was the 2nd Class women who were loaded from A Deck, is it true that Moody tried to interupt the lowering of the 2nd Class women from the boat deck and try to send them down to A deck?? i mean i can't see this being true but he may have just been trying to stick to rules obviously being a junior officer and hoping to impress the higher officers, really need to read up more on this
Cheers though Bob

sorry got that wrong way round, is it true that Moody tried to sent the 2nd class women from A Deck to the Boat Deck?? Gotta stop making these mistakes
Thanks

I don't know, but you might get an answer from reading the testimonies of surviving crew who were working with him. But seamen, when questioned at the inquiries, were often unable to identify the 'class' to which a passenger belonged and found it especially difficult to distinguish between 1st and 2nd Class.

I've started reading them, wonder why they repeated the question and made questions on the answers the witness had said, yeah they don't seem to find it easy, those in the book Voices From The Titanic never seem to know about class other than the influential people like the Astors and the Wideners etc, i guess at the time i can't have been easy
Cheers Bob

Back