Great women of the Gilded Age

happy.gif
- I did it!

Good day, fellow emancipationists!
Yes, the suffragette/suffragist (sorry, now I'm confused!) movement was a most important aspect in history- now often trivalised to nostalgia. At a time when some women could not own property or a business, and ridiculed, by both sexes, if they tried, their efforts are quite monumental.
I think of the part in Wyn Craig Wade's book "The Titanic: End of a Dream", he mentions how the suffragettes were empowered, and disabled somewhat, by Titanic. The whole "Votes for Women!/Boats for Women!" argument. In spite of this, there was still a signifigant march of suffragettes(-gists) down 5th Avenue (including a band of male supporters!) in May 1912.
Just another something that we take for granted today, yet what a struggling feat it was!
Yours-
Kris

I just got a catalog today that has twenty-three books about Edwardian and Victorian clothing and accessories, including a dictionary of costumes and fashions, hats and undergarments. If anyone is interested, the website for these books is www.mjdtools.com. Their toll free number to order the catalog is 1-800-869-0695. I have a couple of the books and they're great! I wish I could afford to order the others!

All the best,
Kyrila

Although they might not have considered themselves magnificent, I do think a certain respect should be owed to the teachers, then as now. The following came to me as a "junk fax", funny history sort of thing. I do not know where the information came from, but I'll share it anyway:

"Some Actual Rules for Teachers from the early 1900's in the U.S.:

-To keep the school room neat and clean, you must:
*sweep the floor at least once daily
*scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water
*clean the blackboards at least once a day
*start the fire at 7a.m. so the room will be warm by 8 a.m.
-You will not marry during the term of your contract.
-You are not to keep company with men.
-You must be home between the hours of 8p.m. and 6 a.m. unless attending a school function.
-You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
-You may not travel beyond city limits unless you have permission of the chairman of the board.
-You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.
-You may not smoke cigarettes.
-You may not dress in bright colors.
-You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
-You must wear at least two petticoats.
-Your dresses must not be any shorter than two inches above the ankle."

I really don't know what to say after all that, save for a deeply, heart-felt thank you to those who educated my Grandparents!

Yours~
Kris

P.S. What WAS going on in ice cream stores back then?!?

Hello Kris,

Just think if this was still the rule for teachers today, how many would we actually have teaching???

I know that teachers have a hard enough time this day and age without the added pressure of "not getting married" or "loitering in ice cream stores"

Your'e right, what WAS going on in ice cream stores back then? Was that the local meat markert that we call "Night Clubs" today?

Former Teacher,
Beverly

Kris,

This is very funny. A quaint time it was then - carriages, ice cream parlors, and petticoats. What nostalgia!

And I agree that a salute is always owed to teachers. My mother is a teacher and so enough can't be said for them as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for sharing this sweet bit of the byegone.

Randy

PS) Those ice-cream and soda fountain counters were akin to dens of sin apparently - does anyone recall the scenes in The Music Man? Shirley Jones in her go-to-hell hat sipping wistfully whilst deflecting advances from a "feller".

I'm glad that I didn't live back then. But what I'd really like to know is that who would check to make sure that a teacher was wearing two petticoats?
proud.gif

I'd like to see what happens to a man who tries to check if a woman is wearing two petticoats. (If I was a physician, I'd be looking forward to the business!)
mad.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

I love this thread! And I wish those who bemoan the fact that there are no good roles for actresses these days should come here and read about the inspiring ladies of the Edwardian age (and make more movies with more lovely costumes from that period!) James Cameron, are you lurking? Here's new material! Why the story of Marjorie Stinson would be a great vehicle for a young actress! Hey, Randy! Wanna collaborate on a script?

Kyrila

Here is a Magnificent Lady of Titanic's era: Frances, Countess of Warwick, society favorite, politician, former mistress of the Prince of Wales. She was close with at least two Titanic passengers - W.T. Stead, of whom she was an outspoken supporter, and Lucy Duff Gordon, by whom she was exclusively dressed. This image, from the National Portrait Gallery (London), shows the Countess in 1898 wearing a "Lucile" evening gown.

(Image Deleted: Sorry Randy, I know for a fact that the NPG charge £100 per year for the use of their images on the web. I have tried in the past. Please only post images if you can confirm that you have permission to do so. ed.)

Phil,

A copy of the image I posted of Frances Warwick was purchased by me from the National Portrait Gallery. I have worked for the NPG as a researcher and it was I who identified this image and dated it for their collection. The curator of photos granted me portfolio and promotional rights. I was unable to scan my print so I used the online thumbnail image. I know I am within my rights as an author to use it but you know best about web permissions, etc., and I understand your concern.

At any rate, I post here another Magnificent Lady image that is definitely in the public domain as it appeared on numerous postcards in its day and prints are still widely available. This is Princess Ena of Battenberg in 1906, the year she wed King Alfonso of Spain. She was a client of Lucy Duff Gordon's and in fact wears here a Lucile gown, designed especially for this engagement photo. Lucy later provided lingerie and other items of apparel for Ena's marriage to the King of Spain.

10257.png

Oh My!
Isn't she quite stunning. Oh Sir Michael, don't you wish you were the POW???? Then you could check the number of petticoats legally well and done.
happy.gif
(from the THREADS thread)

Beverly

Back