Henry Harris

-- oops double post! I like my 2nd one better
happy.gif
--

All,

According to Hermann Soldner's excellent passenger list, Baumann was over 60 years old! No known age is given, but this is a rough estimate judging by the age of his daughter. So there is no way that he was the young man who came to the Harris cabin.

I also thought that Meyer might have been the person, as I knew the Harrises were friendly with him, but as far as I'm aware, that's the first mention I saw for a young male friend coming into the Harris cabin. This occurred not too long after the collision. Messrs Harris and Futrelle had gone out to investigate, and Rene and May sat in C83 waiting. I don't have the Futrelle account with me at the moment, but it was either before, or soon after the men came back that this young friend came in. So this could not have been after Meyer placed his wife in a boat.

Mike, a reply waiting for you already.
happy.gif

Regards,

Daniel.

Daniel,

It is my belief that John Baumann was
in his 40's and thus more of a contemporary
of Henry Harris. Not only has Baumanns' sister
been traced, but Edna Baumann's employment
records, will, and estate settlement
scrutinized and there is no mention of any
children whatsoever. I have even visited
Mrs Baumanns family plot in California.
Somewhere along my research path, I en-
countered someone who told me that Mr Baumann
was on the Titanic because the Harrises had
found him in strained circumstances in Europe
and arranged passage for him to return with
them, thus his name appearing very late, and
with no cabin assignment. But this has never
been proved elsewhere.
I have always been surprised that in the
information supplied here on ET, there was
no record of age or origin of the material
given. Mr Baumann is one of two first-class
passengers whose ages have not been confirmed
.....yet.

Daniel, I too am curious about where you found a reference to a Baumann daughter? I have hundreds of pages of personnel records for her covering many years and she never refers to any relatives whatsoever other than stating that she is a widow. Her estate went to a variety of friends.

Hi, Brian!

>Somewhere along my research path, I en-
> countered someone who >told me that Mr Baumann
> was on the Titanic >because the Harrises had
> found him in strained >circumstances in Europe
> and arranged passage for >him to return with
> them, thus his name >appearing very late, and
> with no cabin assignment. >But this has never
> been proved elsewhere.

I'll send you and Phil G. a little tidbit that might be useful to you in that regard.

All my best,

George

Thanks George--got your account and am thrilled to have it. We've put a lot of work into Baumann and this account helps a lot. Also got the most recent photo set. If you come across anything else on John Baumann please let us know. We've been working on tracking down a collateral line of his family and hopefully that will shed some light on his early life once we find them.

My best,
Phil

Brian and Phil,

My info on Baumann came from Hermann Soldner. I once asked him how he estimated any age for Baumann. This conversation took place a long time ago, but as far as I recall it, he did say that he estimated the age with reference to Baumann daughter's age. Where Hermann got his information from I would have no way of knowing.

Either way, unless Baumann was remarkably young looking for his age, he might not be the "young" friend that came into the cabin while Mrs. Harris and Futrelle sat waiting.

Baumann or not, here's the quote anyway. This is after the ship struck the berg, and Jaques Futrelle has just looked out of the cabin as Henry Harris came to the door (this seems to corroborate with Rene's 1932 account):

quote:

"What's happened?" he asked.
"Oh, nothing, I guess," sais Jaques, "but I suppose we'd better get out and see what's doing." As he and Harris started down the passage, I ran over to Mrs. Harris's cabin. The confusion on board grew worse. We tried to reassure each other, but I for one was seized with a bit of trembling which I could not control. Just then a young man, a friend of the Harris's, came into their cabin where Mrs. Harris and I were sitting. He was pale. I asked him to tell me what had happened. He said:
"I DON'T BELIEVE IT'S SERIOUS,
but we seem to have brushed against an iceberg."
Before this had fully sunk in, Jaques and Mr. Harris were back. They said that they heard the iceberg story, but that the officers had closed the water-tight compartments, had examined everything below and had reported that there was no danger.
There followed a time which I do not fully remember ...

Regards,

Daniel.​

Dear George,

Have been away from the computer for most of
the day yesterday. Thanks for the source
material on John Baumann. As Phil has said,
this helps immensely. Glad to see you have
returned to ET, and thanks for the photo
assistance.

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi George,

Just a quick note to say thank you again for the Baumann article. Much appreciated! I'm sure others would be delighted to see it too, but I can also fully understand any reluctance you may have at this stage to present your source publicly. However, I'm sure everyone would be delighted to see it worked into an article of some form a little further down the line.

Brian -- Can I be particularly prying and ask who, out of Fletcher Lambert Williams and William F. Hoyt is the passenger (besides Baumann, of course) for whom you have no age as yet?

Best Regards,
Ben

Thanks for the info, Phil. In which case, I'm very impressed to hear you've tracked down FLW's birth cert (and at least have Hoyt's age)! Great stuff, as always :)

Ben,
There's actually a memorial tombstone for Hoyt stating that he was born in 1870--so he was either 41 or 42. Fletch Williams didn't have any children but we've tracked down descendants of his step-children and have some great photos and, of course, dates from them as well. He was a tough one to track.

Have a great weekend.
Phil

Hey Phil,

Info on Hoyt is most appreciated, and photos of Lambert-Williams? That's easily on an Edith Evans scale in my book! Good job!

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Ben

Dear Ben,

I actually found the birth information from
another source which took some time to dig out.
Was able to confirm it through documentation
later. I was quite pleased with myself over
the Fletcher Lambert Williams find. The
pleasure will only be exceeded by being able
to share his whole story very soon.

Thanks for your support.

Brian

Back