Interior Design Styles 1900-1925

>>>...you might want to contact Eric Sauder and get his book on the ship.<<<
shy.gif
That's the one I just aquired...........

proud.gif

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your detailed post, might have to print this whole thread, with your guys posts it just keeps on getting more interesting.

Daniel,

Thank you for sharing that diagram. It is certainly strange to make the room smaller, compared to 1913 refit when they were trying to make the reception room bigger. Maybe they also wanted a bigger entrance way? I think other changes to the room was also that they placed in lino down as you have mentioned that this occured throughout Olympic's carrer but I never thought they would have taken out the famous Axminister carpet that as noted in the Shipbuilder I think. I guess it got very worn down, but I can't determine if they replaced the carpet in the 1920 refit from the previous one that was down there in 1911. I think its the same design.

The lino is seen in that photograph you posted showing Olympic's painted staircase.

Do you guys think it lost its popularity later on, maybe with the older Jacobean style used through out the room (not to say that it was ugly, it was very nicely done) trying to modernise it in the 20s. Did they paint this room in different virbrant colour or did it retain the white paint orginally used for the room? Did the paint the elevator surrounds as well?

All the best,

Nigel

I'd say that the room might have been minimised because it lost its popularity. There was still carpet, it was just of a different design. They had to replace the old carpet, which was still there in 1920. I have no solid evidence, but they might have changed it in 1928.

Daniel.

Hi!

I won't go into my thoughts as to the reception room, as I haven't my sources with me. Daniel's research as regards the interiors is excellent.

In answer to your question Nigel, I like both Olympic's 'homely' tile colour schemes and Titanic's more 'tangy' or vibrant décor in some of their public rooms; but to pick a favourite I'd go for Titanic as I like brighter colouring.

To be honest I don't like leather anyway, no matter what colour; it's cold in winter and sticky in summer. And being a veggie, I am bound by convention not to want it. As for the colours, though, green seems best to me.

Best regards,

Mark.

Cheers Mark and thank you for your opinion. You proved me wrong ;-)

Did they make any changes in the 1930s to the Lounge? I know from what you guys have said that a cimena was added but there was no drastic changes to the panelling? Or did it still really look the same as it did in 1911? They didn't paint that white as well or did they....?

Does anyone also know what the dining dance floor in the Dining Saloon was made of as well?

Any way thats it for me, better call it a night.

Best,

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I am not sure how I proved you wrong, but I am glad you appreciated my opinion.

As to the lounge it was essentially untouched by the brightening up, though the installation of the cinema screen necessitated some changes.

As for the dance floor, I would have to check.

Best,

Mark.

Nigel,

The Lounge was untouched, other than the movie screen mentioned. The panelling remains today and it is still oak. A photo of the Lounge taken in about 1933 (or after) shows the Lounge much as it was in 1911. This photo is in the Titanic Voices book, and is captioned to be the Olympic's Lounge in the 1920's ... it was later than that, it had to be post 1933.

Regards,

Daniel.

Thank you Mark and Daniel,

I not exactly tying to distract the topic from the thread but if you had a choice to incorporate some of the Lusitania's interior features into the Olympics- which ideas would you choose?

I think they could incorporated something similar to the Lusitania's veranda cafe, where one side could of been opened up to fresh air. I think they could of put this on the portside between cloakrooms and A-36 stateroom on the open promenade deck A. Same type of style as the Lusitania’s café.

Mark I agree with your question about installing some private promenades for those added suites added in Olympic's later career. The other vessels in the competition of 1911 to 1920s did not incoperate private verandahs in there high profile suites? Was the two last White Star's sisters (Titanic & Britannic) the first and the last. I agree with Mark's question why did they not add any private decks to Olympic?, it seemed like a major selling point.

Did these new staterooms they added forward have private bathrooms and WCs? On the topic of bathrooms I was actually looking through "the only way to cross" sometime ago and I saw one of the Imperator's bathrooms all covered with marble slabs. Was this done to most of the high profile staterooms? No wonder the Imperator was top heavy. They did not use lots of slabs of marble in the Olympic’s private bathrooms did they? But talk about over done.

Probably the most over done over gilded room on the Olympic was the sitting room C-53, in Regency Style.

Another interesting bit in "only way to cross" is the advertising of the new French Liner, S.S France, they criticized Olympic's single roof first-class dining room saying that "low ceilings down aid the appetite" or some thing to that effect and went on to say how great the France's Dining Saloon was. What are your guy’s views? Talk about competition!

Nigel

The advertising sounds like an ad man's slightly overaged and overly ripe bovine excreta to me. Hype without substance, but then that's the nature of the beast. In order to attract fare paying passengers, the line would have to give the impression that in some way, their ship was better then all the rest. A little bigger, a little better, a little faster, more comfortable, better food etc. Snob appeal and a good spread on the table sells!

Personally, the hight of the ceiling (Overhead to us sailors!) never had an impact on my appitite one way or the other. But if the galley was serving seagull chicken or braised barf beef tips and the broccoli was still moving under it's own power it would.
wink.gif

Dear Mike,

I agree on your points there. I think John Maxtone Graham, then stated that this "nonsense piece of dribble was only an attack on Olympic's single storey saloon."

All the Best,

Nigel

That's what I like about John Maxtone-Graham, he's not afraid to streight out call something what it is. His books are loaded with blunt comments like that. Did you see his remarks on that silly figurehead the Imperator was fitted with?

Nigel,

I don't know enough about Lusitania's interiors to be able to make a suggestion, as to what would have been nice to have on Olympic. An open air Cafe would be nice, however that's what the Cafe Parisien on Titanic and Olympic attempted to do ... although it wasn't quite open air.

With Regards to your statement about “C53” (it was C55 on Titanic) I'd agree that this room was the most overdone compared to others. However that's not to say it was not appreciated (at least not in 1912). Mrs. Straus herself was delighted by their accommodation, and found the cabins occupied by them in very good taste!

Best Regards,

Daniel.

Mike,

I read "The Only Way to Cross" last year and that particular quote about the dining saloon stuck to my mind, because of his response to that load of bullocks statement. Another reason why I remember it was because the French Line was hassling the good old Olympic. In my opinion look at the thing the French line created, its not anywhere as great as the Olympic, exterior and interior.

That ship looks like the whole thing has been squished downward. I would be interested to know what Maxtone Graham said about the eagle on the Imperator. I agree that some of his comments are blunt, which adds to the fun of reading the book, its actually quite humorous. I wish I could remember what he said about the eagle, I’m sure it would probably knock me of my chair in laughter. I might borrow it from the local library again.

Daniel,

I particularly like that style myself though over gilded; it would suit me fine as well, especially when I saw it in colour in Cameron's film. It’s probably my best sitting room on Olympic and Titanic. Following that, my favourite would have been Ismay's sitting room (Titanic B-52, Olympic B-40 — those deck plans are so helpful) in Louis XVI. Did they refurnish these rooms on Olympic in her later years? They didn't do major things like repainting walls etc?

Regarding the lounge they also painted the ceiling white. Was that after the 1920 refit? That’s why I thought they renovators might have given the room a “totally” new look; it seems that the lounge was very popular for no major change to occur at all.

All the best,

Nigel

Nigel,

Olympic's B and C deck (later A and B deck) suites remained largely untouched throughout her life until 1935. During the 1933 refit the Louis XV rooms were repainted a different colour, but other than that, the grand suites were not painted any hideous colours. In the 1919/1920 refit the rooms did receive some wallpaper changes (for those period suites that did have wallpaper), but I believe the original colour schemes were respected — on C deck, the Louis XVI suite still retained its yellow paper, next door Queen Anne still had pink wallpaper etc.

Daniel.

Too late to edit my post, but I thought I'd add. In the 1919/1920 refit, there was a lot of floor change. We can see new tiles in the Smoke room, the staircase foyers etc. Also, all of the 1st class staterooms had their carpets removed from the floor, and linoleum floors had been laid instead, with different rugs on the floor serving as the only "carpets" in the cabins.

Back