Keel & double bottom

That is the shell plating plan. I don't see that on my list of plans provided at the museum, so IDK where to obtain a copy (I'll do some digging, and if you find out - if you could let me know). Other plans that may be of interest is the 'Keel Plate Plan' (HOYFM.2010.73.1) and Tank Floors and Brackets (HOYFM.2010.73.19) Hahn's is a good choice! Also check out the book RMS Titanic A Model Maker's Manual by Peter Davis-Garner.

Hello everyone,

Transversally framed double bottom.jpg

Since a while, I'm trying to understand the construction of those great liners and I got through many web sites.
I have found some schemas (like the one I put here, of transversally framed bottom's ship) but I really need someone to explain it to me. Here is few questions.

1) Between the bottom plating and the tank top is there was stokehold or bunkers in Titanic ? I mean is there any human being in those spaces or was it just for rats if you know what I mean ?

2) The bracket floor seems to be open between the two dark grey parallels : when the Titanic hit the berg, water could have got through that opening : what's the point to do it like that ? Would not have doomed ships built like that in case of collision ?

3) The holes that are on the white parts (girders and web frames, I think ???) are that Watertight doors ??

4) The round part just behind the the bottom plating is that the bilge ?

5) The average height between the bottom plating and the tank top is of what ? I mean is a man can stand?

Here is the web site where I found that schema if you need to go : 4. Construction - Transport Canada

Thank you very much to those who could help me out with it.

I'll answer your questions the best I can.

1) The area between the bottom plating and tank top were tanks, or could be used as tanks. Fresh water could be stored there, oil for ships with oil fired boilers or oil engines, ballast. That space is also the bilge(s) and I would assume that moving the fluids around, adding or subtracting to the quantity, could be used to help trim the ship. On the Titanic there was about five feet (1.5m) of height. It was not a space where crew would normally be.

2) That space does appear to be open but remember, the tank top was water tight. The open spaces allowed these areas to be used as tanks.

3) The holes you speak of are not water tight doors. They are simply holes that allow passage of the fluids stored in those tanks and also allow access for maintenance.

4) The rounded part of the bottom plating is called the "turn of the bilge".

5) The average height is about 5 feet (1.5m). A man could get in there and they were in there on occasion for inspections and maintenance such as painting. I believe that trimmers who were not needed for trimming coal would be sent into the bilge.

Back