Lights and Californian

The one thing that I have always faulted Captain Lord for was that Evans wasn't woken up to have a listen on the wireless. But not just Lord. Anybody on the bridge could have gotten him up to see if anything was going on. The whole bridge crew failed in that regard to me.
Yes, that's true but we must also consider why that happened. Obviously, none on board the Californian had any ulterior motive to shirk from trying to go to help the other ship if they had quickly realized that it was in trouble. IMO (and only that) is, that having stopped for the night themselves, the crew were not as alert as they might have been had they still been sailing. So, Stone and then Gibson did not realize the significance of the odd appearance of the lights from the other ship and then the early rockets; at some stage they felt that something was out of the ordinary and reported to Captain Lord, but his sluggish responses meant that it was too late by the time anyone on board the Californian realized that something was seriously wrong with the other ship. After that, their self-preservation modes, both individual and collective, kicked-in.

I fully agree that Stone could and should have woken-up Evans to check what was going on by himself without needing to refer to Captain Lord. Notwithstanding certain past assertions from you-know-who that it was unnecessary and would have rsulted in an "irate wireless operator" and incurred the wrath of Captain Lord.

I find it difficult to understand the pervasive lack of curiosity of those aboard Californian. They were in a hazardous ice zone. One would have thought that fact alone would elevate the significance of seeing multiple rocket signals coming from a ship within visual range. Mustn’t disturb the blessed sleep of the Captain or wireless operator lest we incur their wrath.

Last edited:
Regarding a "conspiracy theory": a conspiracy isn't necessary to explain injustice; it happens all the time, often for concealed reasons, but unless there's some kind of cabal to work injustice, that doesn't make it a conspiracy.

Yes, that's true but we must also consider why that happened. Obviously, none on board the Californian had any ulterior motive to shirk from trying to go to help the other ship if they had quickly realized that it was in trouble. IMO (and only that) is, that having stopped for the night themselves, the crew were not as alert as they might have been had they still been sailing. So, Stone and then Gibson did not realize the significance of the odd appearance of the lights from the other ship and then the early rockets; at some stage they felt that something was out of the ordinary and reported to Captain Lord, but his sluggish responses meant that it was too late by the time anyone on board the Californian realized that something was seriously wrong with the other ship. After that, their self-preservation modes, both individual and collective, kicked-in.

I fully agree that Stone could and should have woken-up Evans to check what was going on by himself without needing to refer to Captain Lord. Notwithstanding certain past assertions from you-know-who that it was unnecessary and would have rsulted in an "irate wireless operator" and incurred the wrath of Captain Lord.

It says a lot that you would get in trouble for investigating a potential safety issue; that’s a definitional bad command climate.

So, Stone and then Gibson did not realize the significance of the odd appearance of the lights from the other ship and then the early rockets; at some stage they felt that something was out of the ordinary and reported to Captain Lord, but his sluggish responses meant that it was too late by the time anyone on board the Californian realized that something was seriously wrong with the other ship. After that, their self-preservation modes, both individual and collective, kicked-in.
Stone and Gibson did realize the significance of the odd appearance of the ship's lights after rocket after rocket was being sent up. As they said, a ship is not going to send up rockets at sea for nothing. But Stone's attitude was something along the lines of, well I told him I saw a rocket and he didn't seemed too concerned about it, so why should I? Gibson was an apprentice and was not going to act on his own. He could only question Stone, tell him what he sees, and maybe hope Stone does the right thing. They were talking about it pretty much all the time until Stone finally sent Gibson down to wake up Lord, but that was after the lights of the steamer disappeared from sight.

Stone, however, was the OOW and had full authority to do what was needed, including waking up Evans. Unfortunately, he took on a very passive role and probably didn't communicate with Lord very effectively. Lord himself admitted he was not satisfied with Stones' responses to his questions, but for some unknown reason, he stayed below, a decision he later admitted, was a mistake on his part.

From Lord's letter to the BOT on Aug 12th:

"With regard to my own conduct on the night in question, I should like to add a little more. I had taken every precaution for the safety of my own ship, and left her in charge of a responsible officer at 00.40 am with instructions to call me if he wanted anything, and I lay down fully dressed. At 1.15 am (25 minutes after he had seen the first signal) the officer on watch reported the steamer we had in sight was altering her bearing, in other words was steaming away, and had fired a rocket. I did not anticipate any disaster to a vessel that had been stopped nearly for an hour, and had ignored my Morse signals, and was then steaming away. I asked him was it a Company’s signal, and to signal her and let me know the result. It is a matter of great regret to me that I did not go on deck myself at this time, but I didn’t think it possible for any seaman to mistake a Company’s signal for a distress signal, so I relied on the officer on watch."

The nonsense about the steamer steaming away was not told to Lord at the time he said it was. That invention came up during the inquiry hearings as an excuse for not recognizing distress signals for what they were. The disappearance of the steamer's red sidelight was seen after the 7th rocket was sighted according to Gibson's written statement of Apr 18, well after Stone spoke to Lord on the speaking tube. It was after that 7th rocket when Stone first mentioned to Gibson that the steamer appeared to be altering her bearing.

Stone's attitude was something along the lines of, well I told him I saw a rocket and he didn't seemed too concerned about it, so why should I?
It seems that way but as OOW, Stone had a great deal of responsibility and I would have thought it would have been his duty to impress upon his Captain what he, Stone, himself felt the rockets from the other ship meant.

This might be loaded but I have to ask. Could Stone have actually realized that the other ship could be in distress but was reluctant to wake-up Evans off his own back or be too assertive with his report to Captain Lord in case the latter ordered his standby engine crew to go to the rescue? The Californian was stopped because of the icy conditions and Stone likely knew about the previous reports about icebergs around. Maybe a part of him did not want his ship to move out of its safe, stopped position and go to what could be a risky rescue mission under those conditions?

Stone, however, was the OOW and had full authority to do what was needed, including waking up Evans. Unfortunately, he took on a very passive role and probably didn't communicate with Lord very effectively. Lord himself admitted he was not satisfied with Stones' responses to his questions, but for some unknown reason, he stayed below, a decision he later admitted, was a mistake on his part.
Completely agree. It was like one man's passivity contributing to another.

I did not anticipate any disaster to a vessel that had been stopped nearly for an hour
I wonder if Lord was speaking a modicum of truth here - a sort of left handed way of admitting his own mistake? I think the fact that in Lord's mind the other ship was stopped - like he had ordered his own - might have created a subconscious false impression that a stopped ship could not really be in distress - effectively what he seemed to be saying above.

This might be loaded but I have to ask. Could Stone have actually realized that the other ship could be in distress but was reluctant to wake-up Evans off his own back or be too assertive with his report to Captain Lord in case the latter ordered his standby engine crew to go to the rescue?
I try not to get into the mind of someone else, especially if they are no longer around. In fact, I've been unsuccessful trying to do so all these years. I've been informed that I'm not clairvoyant. :D

It seems that way but as OOW, Stone had a great deal of responsibility and I would have thought it would have been his duty to impress upon his Captain what he, Stone, himself felt the rockets from the other ship meant.

This might be loaded but I have to ask. Could Stone have actually realized that the other ship could be in distress but was reluctant to wake-up Evans off his own back or be too assertive with his report to Captain Lord in case the latter ordered his standby engine crew to go to the rescue? The Californian was stopped because of the icy conditions and Stone likely knew about the previous reports about icebergs around. Maybe a part of him did not want his ship to move out of its safe, stopped position and go to what could be a risky rescue mission under those conditions?

Completely agree. It was like one man's passivity contributing to another.

I wonder if Lord was speaking a modicum of truth here - a sort of left handed way of admitting his own mistake? I think the fact that in Lord's mind the other ship was stopped - like he had ordered his own - might have created a subconscious false impression that a stopped ship could not really be in distress - effectively what he seemed to be saying above.

I assume you are familiar with confirmation bias from aircraft accident investigations, yes? This is a textbook case of it. Captain Lord used the fact the other ship was stopped as mental confirmation that there was nothing wrong with it, because what could happen to a stopped ship in those conditions? He used the fact the ship hadn’t moved for an hour as a reason to justify that it couldn’t be in distress — because he’d already decided when first informed of it that it wasn’t in distress and now its lack of movement itself became proof. Instead of reevaluating, it made him “confirm” his original take of the situation.

Well, we have all speculated a bit here and there over the years.
Without any speculation like that we actually have plenty from existing statements to understand what happened onboard Californian in light of the modern cognitive science of how accidents develop.

As an aside, this shows how painful the delay in launching rockets was. Launching rockets from the same moment that the CQD was sent might have prevented confirmation bias from setting in for Californian’s crew as it would happen much sooner after the “unknown” vessel stopped.

He used the fact the ship hadn’t moved for an hour as a reason to justify that it couldn’t be in distress — because he’d already decided when first informed of it that it wasn’t in distress and now its lack of movement itself became proof. Instead of reevaluating, it made him “confirm” his original take of the situation.
Yes, I fully agree that could have happened with Captain Lord.

Looking into how far the Californian and Titanic where apart in miles is far from an easy task, and yet one can see there are different opinions.
Two qualified sea men with their extra marine certificates. captain Lord claims 19-20 miles away and forth officer Boxhall claims you cannot see a rocket at 14 miles. Further investigation by Thomas Barnett from Mariner Accidents thought 5-7 miles and Captain James de Coverly thought 17-20 miles away. Sam has about 13 miles. Yet surprisingly the one with least qualified and done no where near the research as the others. Which turns out bad news for Captain Lord. Is the man in charge of the the British Inquiry Lord Mersey who claim 5-8 miles. Since he is the Elite of Society you cannot question him, therefore he is right and others are wrong as captain Lord was to found out. So basic on 5-8 miles away, yes it is possible to reach Titanic in time. But however an earth does one rescue 2,200 from a sinking ship within one hour is beyond a beggar belief. Perhaps the man should of joined the Hollywood brigade.

But however an earth does one rescue 2,200 from a sinking ship within one hour is beyond a beggar belief.
If there is a possibility that another ship is in need of assistance, the important part is not what you actually accomplish. It’s what you attempt to accomplish. Captain Lord accomplished exactly what he attempted to accomplish: nothing.

Easy to be wise after the event I am 100% sure if captain Lord knew that Titanic was sinking, he would come to there rescue. Whether or not how many he could of save is debatable. Where you need marine expects and not a bunch bundling lawyers.

So are you saying that Lord was justified in not rendering aid because it wouldn’t have made much difference as determined later by “experts”? He didn’t know what the situation was but he was told about white signal rockets. Therefore he had a duty to investigate or wake up his wireless operator, but above all do something. There’s plenty of time for sleep.

Back