Lusitania's Sinking

Jim, just read your posts. I was spellbound and saddened at the same time. I have 2 very young boys, and I think how I could have fared in that situation. I could have maybe saved myself if I were on deck, but would probably have died trying to save them.

Hi Steven: Families badly, because one basic war zone precaution- which, in fact had NEVER been enforced aboard the Lusitania- was not enforced.

People were not advised to stick together.

One stewardess recalled preventing a woman, with a child, in fast-submerging third class (at the bow) from going down to her cabin to rescue her other child. She would have been trapped. The stew told her "Be content with the one you have."

Cecelia Owens' two boys had come to her cabin, five minutes before the explosion, to ask permission for another half-hour on deck. She granted permission, and never saw her sons again. on deck, she ran into her brother and sister in law, who were searching for THEIR missing children.

Walter Tijou was in the bathroom when the torpedo struck. He ran out on deck, calling for his son, and continued searching until he was washed overboard. His son was never seen again.

Sticking together marginally improved chances of survival. Teenage Molly Mainman, whose family was on their way to a new life in England after inheriting a 10,000 pound fortune, got her younger brother and sister, twins, into a lifeboat. But her two older brothers, and parents, were lost.

The Frankum family, husband, wife, and three children, made it to a port side boat. Mr. Frankum went to get life jackets, and upon returning discovered that his family had gotten into the boat, only to be offloaded again. At the end, they were among the passengers who climbed back in, hoping that the boat would break free of the ship as it sank. It didn't. Mr. Frankum, and one of his boys, survived.

Charlotte Pye got her daughter, Marjorie, into a starboard side boat. #15, Barbara's boat, was far enough aft to have time to unhook from the davits as the Lusitania began her sudden heel to starboard. Charlotte's boat, #9, I believe, did not have time to unhook, and was driven up against the davits and then capsized. She wrote to her husband that Marjorie had time for one horrible scream before both were pulled under. Mrs. Pye clung to her daughter, under water, until blacking out. When she awoke, she was on the surface, surrounded by floating bodies, and Marjorie was gone.

TIMELINE: The best documented passenger aboard the Lusitania, and perhaps abapord ANY lost liner, is a completely obscure second class passenger named Richard Preston Prichard, who pops up through my postings.

Richard died. His mother was terrified that he had been trapped below. So, she and her son wrote to hundreds of survivors, sending a wanted poster and asking "Did you see him?"

They received a very large number of replies. Richard had been a sociable young man, and so quite a few second class passegners, and crew members, knew who he was, and were able to supply details of his final week.

Those who did not know him, took time to spell out their own experiences, to assure Mrs. Prichard that he had not been trapped below decks. Mrs. Bretherton, pregnant, was able to assure Mrs. Prichard that if she, in her condition, could run down four flights, grab her son, and run back up again, then certainly Richard could not have been trapped.

Some of the details are quite chilling- Mrs. Pye, speaking mother to mother- supplied the detail about blacking out under water and letting go of her daughter, adding that since then her life had little meaning. Mrs. Adams wrote of watching Joan die, but said that she was luckier than most parents~ at least she knew her little girl's fate. Miss Paynter, sole survivor of those who played word games with D.C. Harris every day, tried to reassure Mrs. Prichard that drowning wasn't that horrible; her father's corpse had a badly damaged head, but wore a very serene expression.

The letters are a must-read, if you want to understand what was in the survivors' heads in the months following the disaster.

95 years ago today. The final numbers were in, so to speak. People who had not found their missing relatives alive, now knew that they were not unconscious in a hospital or ‘put up’ in an out-of-the-way hotel with no phone service or access to the telegraph.

Minnie Smith’s husband, back home in Canada, quit his job as a police officer and immediately enlisted, to avenge the death of his wife and their unborn child. Norman Stones told fellow survivor Phoebe Amory that he was enlisting, hoping to kill as many Germans as possible as payback for Hilda’s death. Cyril Pells enlisted. His wife, Anita, never heard from him again, but his hatred of Germans, and desire to kill them, remained such that he was later featured in a book which detailed the events of his death at the front. Charlotte Pye, who wrote Mrs. Prichard that her life seemed to have no meaning after the death of her daughter, Marjorie, found reason to go on after she joined the war effort~ a film of her leading a 1916 fund raising rally survives.

Arthur Scott, of North Adams, Massachusetts, had kept a vigil, with members of the press, as he awaited word of his wife, Alice, and son, Arthur junior. The first list of survivors to arrive contained the names SCOTT, MRS. A and SCOTT, ARTHUR. The relieved Mr. Scott teared up with joy, and there was much back-slapping and handshaking between him and the reporters. Alice had dreamed of the Lusitania being destroyed, the night before she and Arthur, Junior, had departed for New York. Her family had jokingly chided her, saying that perhaps she should cancel her passage. She had replied that she could only die once, and that she was going.

Alice Scott had, in fact, died. She had placed Arthur into a lifeboat, which was successfully lowered. The lifeboat she entered upended, and she never came to the surface.

The family of Martha King, of Illinois, had a similar experience. Mrs. King was among the twenty or so to be pulled from the water alive, only to die of shock before reaching shore. The first word to reach them was that Martha was alive, followed by a second notice saying that she wasn’t.

Allan Adams, of Canada, recalled a horrible struggle in the water. He recalled growing numb and disoriented. And, he recalled giving up, and ‘dying’ in the bottom of a swamped boat. He awoke, hours later, on a rescue craft.

Margaret Logan awoke on a rescue boat. She recalled her son being torn away from her by drowning people. And she remembered the creeping numbness and blacking out.

Architect Theodate Pope awoke aboard a rescue ship, with a final memory of growing groggy in the water, and passing out. Mrs. Naish saw her lying on deck, among the recovered bodies, and thought she saw signs of life. Crew members labored over Theodate, and eventually revived her. She remained friends, thereafter, with Belle Naish, and even provided for her in her will.

It would seem, from letters written immediately after the disaster, that perhaps two dozen “dead” survivors had enough life in them to revive, once pulled aboard lifeboats or rescue vessels. They all had similar stories, of growing disoriented and then blacking out, only to revive hours later. Jeanette Mitchell awoke. Her husband, Walter, never did. Martha King never awoke.

Beatrice Witherbee, who lost her son and her mother, is almost definitely the woman who confronted Captain Turner aboard the rescue vessel Bluebell. In a calm and dispassionate voice, she told him of how she had placed her son on a ‘raft’ at the urging of an officer. The raft, or boat, had overturned and she lost her child. The woman told Turner that she held him personally responsible for her son’s death. Only two mothers fit the bill~ Mrs. Witherbee, from first class, and a woman traveling in third. Mrs. Witherbee was a frequent traveler, and would have recognized Turner without his hat, and wrapped in a blanket. The other mother most likely would not have.

Teenager Allan Beattie awoke, to recall how he and his mother had been dragged down with the sinking ship. They held one another, but became snarled in ropes beneath the surface. Allan got free, but Geneva “Grace” Beattie did not.

Reverend Jas. Beattie and his wife, Margaret, were taken from the water, alive, by one of the British military ships. Margaret awoke, James died. Margaret was furious to discover that not only had her husband’s corpse been looted, but she had been as well. When her effects were returned to her, even the brass buttons had been cut from her coat. The captain of the vessel blamed the scoundrels in his crew for the looting. Mrs. Beattie, through her lawyer, tartly reminded him that he had PERSONALLY taken charge of her effects and James’ money. Her clothing had been taken from her. She had no place to hold her money and jewelry, or James’ effects. The captain had taken possession of it. Only her clothing was returned.

Elizabeth McKechan came ashore, with her infant son, Campbell. Her older boy, and sister in law, Mrs. Gill, were both dead. Campbell would die, too, and become the final official victim of the disaster.

Millie Docherty came ashore with her weeks-old infant. She, her son, and her friend from the voyage Jessie Murdoch, had escaped by lifeboat. Millie had been a maid in New York. She wrote to her former employee of how the women in Ireland loved her infant and “wanted to eat him up.” She wrote that she had lost everything she owned, but was grateful to have her child.

Eliza Booth was dead, but somehow, her 8 month old son, Nigel, was saved.

Betty Bretherton, whose mother had entrusted her to a man who refused to go below to rescue Mrs. Bretherton’s son, was recovered. She was buried in the nuns' cemetery at the convent where Norah Bretherton had been educated.

More than half of the Armenians, en route to ‘Persia’ to rescue their families, were dead. Those who survived arrived just in time to be caught up in the forced starvation marches that saw over four million Armenian Christians die before the summer of 1915 was over. Only two of the Lusitania’s Armenians are known to have returned to the U.S., and in neither case did they return with the family members they were attempting to save,

95 YEARS: Katherine Dingley had not adapted well to life in the United States. Her husband sent her back to England, after a year of worsening depression, hoping that an extended visit with her parents might restore her ‘balance.’ Mr. Dingley’s boss told him “Fall to your knees and thank God, Dingley, that your wife sailed on the Cameronia” on May 7th. But, Katherine Dingley was transferred to the Lusitania and, as her husband would learn, had died.

Harold and Lucy Taylor, a very young married couple from Niagara Falls, New York, had departed for England and a reunion with family there. A rare happy ending unfolded after a few tense hours: the families in England did not know Harold and Lucy had sailed aboard the Lusitania until they were notified, by Cunard, on Sunday morning. A few hours later, a telegram announcing that both had survived arrived.

Letters sent from the ship on May 1 began arriving. Millie Baker had vanished forever, but her mother received a note signed “Love always, your Millie.” A thank you note Harwood and Elaine Knight wrote to their niece arrived; the Knights had tucked a first class passenger list in to the envelope. James Longmuir Ward sent his father, in Scotland, a long letter, in which he wrote about the entire Western Canadian town, in which he had been a school teacher, turning out to see him off. He wrote seriously, but reassuringly, about the submarine peril. Henrietta Pirie jotted her parents a cheerful postcard. Florence Armitage sent a card to the friends she had visited in New York City. None of these people survived. A letter Alice Loynd had written aboard the vessel was recovered from her husband David’s body~ her last words were of seeing the coast of Ireland quite clearly, and thanking God for a safe voyage.

Lady Marguerite Allan was hospitalized with broken ribs and a broken arm and shoulder. Her teenage daughters, Gwen and Anna had drowned, but her two maids survived. Joseph Myers was hospitalized with a ruptured abdomen. He had climbed into a port side lifeboat as the ship sank, and had been severely injured by the beating he took from the submerging craft. Ogden Hammond had broken bones when he was flung 60 feet downward from an upending boat: His wife Mary had died on their eighth anniversary. Andrew Faulds was also injured thrown from a collapsing boat; his wife, Margaret, seated beside him was uninjured. Dr. Carl Foss had been struck a massive blow across his back while attempting to aid a passenger who had been gashed by a still-rotating port propeller, but did not require hospitalization.

Rose Howley was hailed as a hero after saving Edith Williams. Edith’s father had deserted, and her neighbors had collected money to send her mother, Annie Williams, home to her parents. Annie and four of her children died in the disaster. Edith had tried to save her younger sister, Florence, but the water had torn her away as the ship sank under them. Mrs. Howley spotted Edith in the water, and pulled her to safety. The press tried to arrange a tearful reunion between the two, but Mrs. Howley refused to cooperate, saying that she had only done her duty as a Christian and saw no need to participate in a photo op.

Her neighbor in New Rochelle, New York, Margaret Hastings was dead. Mrs. Hastings had been fearful, throughout early 1915, that her teenage son in Belfast might enlist and become part of the mounting death toll. She purchased third class passage to the U.S. for him, aboard the Lusitania, and had invested what remained of her life savings on round trip passage for herself; presumably to guarantee that he boarded the ship.

Musical star Josephine Brandell survived, after being thrown from an overturning lifeboat. Her close friend, Mabel Crichton, died in the same boat mishap. Music hall star Dave Samuels, traveling under the alias of David Samoilesco, was dead. $4000 in gold, plus personal jewelry would be recovered with his body. Inventor Anne Shymer’s body was recovered with several thousand dollars worth of jewelry on it; the jewelry would be stolen in transit to the U.S. consulate.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for all the posts. Plenty for me mull over
some questions that arise are..

- what was Capt Turner playing at by going so slow and stopping early in the morning?

-previous held wisdom had the Lusi closing the Irish coat well south and the doing a dog leg into the coast. What I now understand is that they were close to thw coast initially the n hared off out and then came back in or even didn't go that far off at all.

-Jim you mention a survivor being directly above the impact point. Where abouts on the deck was he in relation to known deck geography?

- #10 and #12 lifeboats are cited as having major mishaps before Turner orders the port boats emptied. What happened to them? I don't trust my secondary sources about the portside.
and lastly...

- I have tracked Norman Wilkinsons, famous image of the sinking to the Illustrated London News archive which descibes the original as a drawing based on the memory of survivor Thomas K Turpin [2nd class] of British Columbia.
In your research have you encountered anything about how he left the ship and survived?

Anything that sheds light wil be welcome and greatly appreciated from you Jim, or anyone else who knows

cheers
Martin

Hello, Martin:

You are welcome. I hope that you will enjoy the article all the more when it comes out.

> what was Capt Turner playing at by going so slow and stopping early in the morning?

The most likely answer is that the ship was in a thick fog bank, with the military cruiser the Naishes and Thompsons, (among others) saw, somewhere close by ahead. Turner was correct in reducing speed~ had he collided with a military vessel while running at full speed in fog, the publicity would not have been favorable.

What I find interesting about this interlude is how quickly people slipped into common sense emergency mode as they realized that something odd was going on. People gathered their families. People took down life jackets. People made ready to face some unknown danger that they felt was out there. And, they behaved in a way which would have assured high survival rates in an emergency.

The second the fog lifted, and people saw Ireland off to port, all sense of fear evaporated. So, too, did common sense. Life jackets were put away. Children were allowed to go off on their own. Couples separated….

Yet, the ease with which people switched into emergency Survival Mode during the foggy hours highlights something I find very sad. Had they been told “officially” that they were still in danger and should behave accordingly until Liverpool was reached,, I have absolutely no doubt that they would have. It would not have saved everyone, but

*Had husbands and wives not spent the final 18 minutes looking for one another.
*Had parents not squandered all of their escape time looking for missing children.
*Had crew and passengers not rushed below until the final minutes to bring up armloads of life jackets

The toll would not have been as high as it was. What killed so many was not panic, but the natural instinct to save loved ones. People did the logically correct thing while in the fog, and the morally correct thing when faced with a fast sinking ship. It’s a shame they weren’t told “Good work- keep it up” when the fog lifted.

>Jim you mention a survivor being directly above the impact point. Where abouts on the deck was he in relation to known deck geography?

There were two groups of passengers on the boat deck, directly over the point of impact. The passenger I THINK you are referring to is C.T. Hill. Mr. Hill left the first class dining room in a hurry, already late for an appointment with the ship’s stenographer, who did not survive. He took the forward elevator, and the elevator boy reflexively stopped on the promenade deck, where CT Hill’s cabin was. Hill, reflexively, stepped out. As he prepared to walk up to the steno’s office (somewhere on A deck) the chief steward called to him, from outside, “Mr. Hill! A torpedo!’ Hill stepped out on to the promenade deck. He and the chief steward watched the torpedo strike the hull with a thud, followed a second or two later by the explosion.

> #10 and #12 lifeboats are cited as having major mishaps before Turner orders the port boats emptied. What happened to them? I don't trust my secondary sources about the portside.

I’m not sure if it was 10 and 12. Two port boats, just aft of the grand entrance, had a horrible accident. The first boat upended at boat deck level, throwing everyone down 60 feet. The aft boat almost instantly slipped from her davits and fell, fully loaded, 60 feet downwards on top of those from the first boat. A few people who were not hurled from the first boat were seen in a heap at the bow, clinging to whatever they could and trying not fall out.

> I have tracked Norman Wilkinsons, famous image of the sinking to the Illustrated London News archive which descibes the original as a drawing based on the memory of survivor Thomas K Turpin [2nd class] of British Columbia.
In your research have you encountered anything about how he left the ship and survived?

Yes. Mr. Turpin sank with the ship, and ended up on top of an overturned boat with the seriously injured James Paul Grey, if my memory is correct. Mrs. Turpin was with Grey’s daughter in law and grandson, all of whom were washed off of the boat deck a few minutes before the end.

Jim, many thanks. I thought you might know: You must be the best read researcher on the subject about. The only anomaly is that I don't know exactly how much Kent and the Sauder brothers know tough I know that they know a hell of a lot.

I remember that tragic post about the 3rd class mother and the stewardess et al.
I still think that the impact point was abeam the #1 funnel. They would have seen the wake but wouldn't that rise behind the torpedo and arrive soon after? Also the down/up blasting of #5 off of its davits leads me to that conclusion.

#10 & 11 are alongside the entrance and we can account for #14 which is next aft. That graphic I did was not far wrong , only it happened with 5min rather than 12 or so minutes after impact.

Mr Turpins escape explains a lot.

Many thanks again,
This is most helpful.
best regards

Martin

>They would have seen the wake but wouldn't that rise behind the torpedo and arrive soon after? Also the down/up blasting of #5 off of its davits leads me to that conclusion.

Indeed. But, it seems that conditions were optimal for peoplee at a high vantage point to see the torpedo from quite a distance. The viewers on the boat deck, who wre directly over the point of impact but who did not have the unobstructed view that Hill had, had time to converse before the torpedo struck.

Regarding Hill...I omitted many details from his painstakingly precise deposition, for the sake of brevity here. He saw Jones at the railing, from inside the B Deck grand entrance hall, decided to leave the stenographer waiting for a few more minutes while he discussed details of some plan he had already outlined to Jones, and was already at the door which led on to the promenade deck when Jones spotted the torpedo and commented on it.

I think that the impact point was slightly aft of funnel #1.

There were also three witnesses slightly aft of the impact point on the C Deck promenade, who had time to track the torpedo and comment on it.

I'm curious about the port boat which was lowered after #14. 14 was able to disengage from the Lusitania, and row away. Her passengers had time to stand up and begin bailing, etc....

Several survivors mentioned being in a boat that was still attached to the Lusitania when she took that heel to starboard and almost crushed #15. This boat was struck by the ship, as she rolled on to her side, and was capsized.

The accounts reenforce one another, but are vague when it comes to clues about which boat it was. #16 seems like a good choice, but there is really no way of telling.

interesting points Jim. boat 16 is opposite 15 but how would all that happen? It can't slide across like the one or more of the #22 collapsables due to the last funnel.

your impact point makes sense, but not to far aft... right under boat 3 would still work= for br#1 to flood quicker than BR#2 and create a bulk head collapse - Lauriat p.72

"..she seemed to right herself and even raise her bow a little." to be strictly honest with the narrative I'm not sure how soon after impact this happens. Lauriat gives the impression that in may have been within a minute or two.

My theory needs about 4 minutes for the forward BR to flood enough to cause a collapse, a huge surge aft would redistibute the fwd weight causing the bow to rise a bit.

Martin.

"#16" was lowered to the waterline on the port side. As the Lusitania made that final heel to starboard, shen apparently hooked the lifeboat with her side and rolled it over. It didnt slide to starboard!

More later.....

I know that there was one explosion from the apparent torpedo, followed by an explosion from something. Then shortly the lights went out and everyone panicked. The bow floods and there is a starboard list. The water reaches the bridge and lifeboats are lowered (which Titanic's lifeboats lowered when the water reached the forecastle and well deck. Then many boats fail to launch , sending many to the ocean. Only 6 float off nice. Then the Lusitania begins its final plunge. All of these facts happened in 18 minutes, but nobody knows what happened inside. A documentary "Terror At Sea" , shows that the steerage areas began to implode fast near the bow. Oh, and before the plunge, the first class passengers trapped in an elevator drown as water reaches the higher decks. Then the passengers row to Queenstown, where they rest.

People on this site (I think including Mr. Jim Kalafus himself) have determined it most likely didn't happen, taking into account testimony, ship layout, the role of the elevator operators during the sinking, etc. Look around here/do an internet search and you'll see the 'elevator death trap' scenes from the movie come from sensationalist but probably untrue stories about the Lusitania.

Back