Sure, but I was thinking that Evans was likely to have sent similar ice warnings to other ships within range and their responses might not have been as unappreciative or surly as that of Jack Phillips.

Sure, but I was thinking that Evans was likely to have sent similar ice warnings to other ships within range and their responses might not have been as unappreciative or surly as that of Jack Phillips.
Yes you are right about that. But it was earlier in the evening. He sent an ice warning to the Antillian. He even got a cordial response from the Titanic about the ice report he offered to Titanic that he gave to the Antillian. I don't blame Evans or Phillips for what happened that night. I think they were tired maybe hungry and a little grumpy for lack of a better term. Evans admitted to jamming Titanic after he got the rebuke. But that was not an uncommon thing to do if another operator tweaked you. At least in those days. When he was informed about a ship firing rockets he immediately got up and got on his radio. But by then it was way too late.

Now that at I kind of veered off from Williams original question...Yes it would have a made a big difference if Titanic had no radio communications at all. I don't know how long it would have taken for others to figure out that Titanic was missing. With the currents the lifeboats could have been scattered all over the place. Many more especially those who got wet could have succumbed to hypothermia and other factors. But she did have her back up radio that was working so she still could have contacted the ships that were in her local area and they would relay to other stations.

Last edited:
"On A Sea of Glass," page 53, recounts that Phillips and Bride made contact with stations in Tenerife, Canary Islands, and Port Said, Egypt, distances of approximately 1700 and 3500 miles, respectively, using the Titanic's primary radio. This was on a radio calculated to have a range of 500 miles during the day and 1,000 miles at night. This raises the question of why didn't they test the emergency radio to determine its range.

What wasn't completely understood was that power wasn't the only factor in determining the range of a radio signal. Frequency also entered into the equation. Back in 1912, the signals were not frequency controlled. So a signal on 600 meters was not confined to just 499.654kHz but likely covered from 400 to 600 kHz, if not a greater frequency spread.

As an Amateur Radio operator, I'd love to see the Marconi transmitter recovered and restored, and have the chance to operate that spark gap transmitter, but I know that, even if it was restored, hearing the transmitter would never happen because of its wide frequency splatter.

I've read it both ways. Maybe "mad" is not the right word. UN-appreciated might be a better description. Evans had already worked 16 hours and was tired. When he got the shut up message from Titanic he replied “All right have it your own way” and then turned off his radio. Doesn't sound like a happy response to me. But I could be interpreting it wrong. But that's the way it seemed to me. Cheers
Just in the interest of accuracy clarifying a point. Another thread made me think of this. That statement that Evans sent that phrase I have not been able to verify that's what he actually sent. I looked but couldn't find the basis for that claim. It's from a book called "SOS – A Titanic Misconception". I haven't read that book. But I did read an excerpt from it in the link below. Evans admitted to jamming Titanic but what he actually sent I'm not sure. If anybody knows would be glad to find out. Even if it is a minor point. Cheers.
The relevant excerpt: Evans wished to give the operator on the Titanic an ice warning. However he called and was rapidly answered by Jack Phillips who, in no uncertain terms, told Evans to “keep out” and not interrupt his contact sending passenger messages to Cape Race coast station. “All right have it your own way” replied Evans – he realised that his duty was finished for the day. With the Titanic signals being so loud there was no reason for him to stay on watch as he was unable to send and receive signals. He retired to his bunk and went to sleep. Had Jack Phillips taken the message Evans wished to send, then the Titanic would have been warned of the approaching danger.

Last edited:
I often wonder if Evans ice warning to Titanic ever got to the bridge would of made any different? It would seem captain Smith was in his own dream land that icefield was no threat and that visual sighting was good enough. As for captain Lord couldn't be any different for a sea captain whom took the icefield as a serious dangerous hazard ahead and did apply caution.

I often wonder if Evans ice warning to Titanic ever got to the bridge would of made any different? It would seem captain Smith was in his own dream land that icefield was no threat and that visual sighting was good enough. As for captain Lord couldn't be any different for a sea captain whom took the icefield as a serious dangerous hazard ahead and did apply caution.
Only way I see it making a difference is that if Murdoch got the message and acted on his own without first contacting the captain which he had orders to do if conditions changed. Other than that I don't see it making a difference. Especially given the short time involved. Speculation of course.

Would Murdoch be in that position to act on his own before asking Smith?

As O.O.W. he had the authority to do what was necessary to keep the ship safe. Like he did when he tried to avoid the iceberg. Something that wasn't an immediate concern he had orders to consult the captain. But if he had gotten the message and decided to take the ship further south or whatever the bridge crew were supposed to follow his orders.

As O.O.W. he had the authority to do what was necessary to keep the ship safe. Like he did when he tried to avoid the iceberg. Something that wasn't an immediate concern he had orders to consult the captain. But if he had gotten the message and decided to take the ship further south or whatever the bridge crew were supposed to follow his orders.
I would agree with you that Murdoch as O.O.W. has to avoid the iceberg and doesn't have time to inform Smith of his action and the safety of the ship is at stake. But a an ice warning message is some thing of the future and need to be planned ahead, where no doubt Smith must be informed.
Where quite frankly Smith does come across is not giving his full tension to do so. For a officers to challenge a captain decisions must be a tricky position you are putting self into. Specially dealing with an old sea dog as Smith was, whom is more than 20 years older than you are!
Like I have said before captain Smith come across he has decided to take on an icefield through visual sighting first and not to back of the speed or have extra lookouts. Or even ask officers for their pinion of the up coming icefield ahead to.

Back