Marconi collection being sold

Some of you have talked about recent news about the Marconi Company breaking up and selling its collection of artifacts, including those used in Titanic exhibits, because of financial troubles. In response, I just today received the following from the chairman of the Marconi Foundation (USA) with his permission to share it here:

<font color="#000066">Newspapers have a way of twisting and editorializing information although incomplete. It is regrettable that there is information being transmitted, printed and repeated who not know the complete story. We are working out a plan to convey the artifacts to the intended Trust and will have a favorable report released in November to all interested parties and the press. The mis-information fermented when the Marconi Company attorneys listed the Marconi Archives as assets since the archives had not yet officially been transferred to the Town of Chelmsford as agreed to almost two years ago. The Marconi attorneys have been very busy this past year handling the sale of the Marconi Divisions to satisfy debitures and have essentially neglected to officially convey the archives to Chelmsford. Hence, the archives are caught in the middle waiting for a plan to remove them from the Marconi property.

To repeat, we are working on a plan and as soon as it is implemented, I will issue a second release. I just arrived home tonight from the QCWA Convention in Florida and I see an avalanche of e-mails repeating the story first printed in London by an over zealous reporter. I also received in the mail a copy of the same report printed in the Lawrence Eagle Tribune. Unfortuantely too, Elettra Marconi is quoted in these newspaper stories as saying, "Marconi has run out of money". This is not so, Marconi enjoys financial stability. Kindly advise those on your mailing list of the above or e-mail this page to your list. In the meantime, I will prepare a release stating the precise status of the archive situation that should relax everybody.

Ray Minichiello, W1BC , Chairman
Marconi Foundation, USA, Inc.&
U.S. National Marconi Museum

Back