Marconi room & operators info

Hey,

I am planning on creating my own Titanic website and would like any good, in-depth info. on the Marconi room: what it looked like, its design, etc.

Plus, I am interested in any in-depth info. on the operators, Jack Phillips and Harold Bride, especially their birth dates, death dates, and burial locations.

Brandon,

If you can wait a few months, I am finishing up the written part of my description of the wireless room and equipment, with illustrations to do next. Because I will (hopefully) soon be publishing, I need to keep a close hold on my research to date.

I won't, however, include any biographical information on the Marconi R/Os...there are others who are working that angle at this time.

Parks

Brandon,

I can direct you to Glenn Dunstan's excellent Titanic Radio Page at:

You'll find a lot of what you're looking for there. I sent my last message before I thought to give you this link.

I am reconstructing two of the three rooms (the third was merely a sleeping quarters for the operators) in two separate drawings...the Silent Room, where the transmitting equipment was housed and the Marconi Room, where the operator sat and most of the receiving equipment was located. The set used in the Cameron movie depicted a typical shipboard Marconi Room set-up, but there are significant differences between that and Titanic's set-up. Not to mention, too, that the electrical connections were totally hosed up by the set director. :)

Parks

Brandon,

If you can wait a few months, I am finishing up the written part of my description of the wireless room and equipment, with illustrations to do next. Because I will (hopefully) soon be publishing, I need to keep a close hold on my research to date.

I won't, however, include any biographical information on the Marconi R/Os...there are others who are working that angle at this time.

Parks
My main interest is actually in the Carpathia, but I have been unable to find anywhere whether either ship's marconi operator could communicate with the bridge in any way except hand delivering the messages. Anybody know ?

My main interest is actually in the Carpathia, but I have been unable to find anywhere whether either ship's marconi operator could communicate with the bridge in any way except hand delivering the messages. Anybody know ?

If Titanic couldn't then it's unlikely that anyone else had a phone.

There are lots of photos of 1910s Marconi rooms on the web, but no obvious phone.

They Matrconi operators seem to refer to the wireless' headphones as the telephones.

The Marconi Operators were not positioned in the ship's hierarchy,
under the command of only The Captain, so they would have to send him a written note.

These would be an MSG directly from another Ship's Captain - a litereral transcription delivered by hand - content ignored.

No one seems to have thought about the status of overheard messages . . . or Cyril specials . .

If Titanic couldn't then it's unlikely that anyone else had a phone.

There are lots of photos of 1910s Marconi rooms on the web, but no obvious phone.

They Matrconi operators seem to refer to the wireless' headphones as the telephones.

The Marconi Operators were not positioned in the ship's hierarchy,
under the command of only The Captain, so they would have to send him a written note.

These would be an MSG directly from another Ship's Captain - a litereral transcription delivered by hand - content ignored.

No one seems to have thought about the status of overheard messages . . . or Cyril specials . .

That is what I thought. My main character is based on Harold Cottam on the Carpathia and I picture him running back and forth from the marconi shack aft of the funnel to the bridge with all the messages from Titanic. Man what a workout!

Back