Millvina has passed away

Michael, what is the source for this story??

To Brian Ticehurst and Anthony Cunningham: is this true?

If the news is true, then I both grieve for Millvina, and am thankful for the time that I have known her.

RIP. I met Millvina Dean several times in Southampton during BTS conventions in the 1990s. I even have a photograph taken at the same dining table on one occasion.

Miss Dean was one of only 3 Titanic survivors that I met, the others being Edith Haisman and Eva Hart.

Phil Gowan got a phone call this morning from mutual friends who keep tabs on Millvina and passed the word to those of us on Facebook. At the time, the press had not been notified. Here's what he wrote: "So very sorry to hear this morning that Millvina Dean, the last Titanic survivor, apparently died in her sleep. After a bout with pneumonia last week she seemed to be doing better and returned to the nursing home. Am sure the media will be flooded with more information as the day passes. She was a great lady, a good friend, and will be sorely missed."

I only met her once one-to-one but I'll never forget that encounter. I said it was "a pleasure to meet her"... she said, deadpan but sincerely, it was "a pleasure to meet me"! I'll never forget the twinkle in her eye! She had a tremendous, and very appealingly down-to-earth attitude to her unexpected fame.

I never got to meet her, but a few of my friends knew her pretty well and had told her about the work I was doing with TITANIC IMPACT. She sent me a message through them saying simply, "Keep up the good work!" I was very touched by her acknowledgement.

Rest in peace Millvina Dean
sad.gif

Back