Pregnancy in the gilded age

Evangeline, where did you read that about Consuelo Vanderbilt? It's interesting - how could have she been laced in the seventh month?! I mean how is it possible? Are there any reports of children being born handicapped?

And I have another question - how much was it noticeable that Madeleine Astor was pregnant? She was in fifth month, was not she? I can imagine that her belly was quite big at that time. Were there any special corsets or so?

Thank you
Vitezslav

I believe I read it in To Marry An English Lord or the most recent biography on Consuelo. You must also remember that Consuelo was very tall and very slim--rather like Nicole Kidman--and if she didn't carry a lot amniotic fluid with her first son (rather like Nicole), she wouldn't be as large as we expect pregnant women to be. As her sons were tall and robust, apparently there were no physical complications.

"Free Love" as a concept wasn't invented in the 1960's. H.G. Wells was an advocate of this concept, but if the Etruscans are any indication, he was a latecomer to the game by at least 2500 years.

That he was, Michael as was his wife. H.G. Wells had numerous relationships and children with women who weren't his wife. In fact his wife, who was also a firm believer in free love would make or buy baby clothes for Mr. Wellses children he had with other women. Seems an open marriage isn't a new concept either.
happy.gif
Free love is as old as dirt.

>>Seems an open marriage isn't a new concept either.<<

Fortunately for Mr. Wells. Had his wife been a believer in rolling pin justice, he would have had a lot of lumps on his head!

"Maternity Skirt of good quality light weight All Worsted Panama Cloth, in black only. This scientifically designed garment is in side plaited outline made with a belt like an ordinary skirt, thus dispensing with the customary drawstring or elastic band. The fullness in the back is gracefully arranged in deep inverted plaits. By the aid of hooks and eyelets the waist measure may be increased as required. The ingenious construction of the model causes the fullness to drape evenly both front and back without bulkiness or discomfort. The model is equally appropriate as a maternity skirt or for ordinary wear. Finished with a three-inch basted hem. $5.98"
National Cloak & Suit Co. 1909. Model #4752

The illustration looks like any other skirt. So I guess one could be pregnant...just don't show off!
K-

Something else to ponder...breastfeeding. Even today some people are too immature to realize that it is completely natural and necessary, but in Edwardian times, I am sure there weren't alternatives, such as formula like Similac and Enfamil.
This always made me sooo upset, to think that even in our times, breastfeeding and childbirth are gross and disgusting things which should be kept private and carefully hidden... While on TV and movies we are shown death, killings, wars and various other atrocities without any problem (both real and fictitious). :mad: It just seems so unfair to me!

Back