Sex in the Gilded age

>>Yes, I always got the idea that middle class was the most balanced and correct class of this age society.<<

That or they made real sure that they just didn't get caught!
wink.gif

Going back a long way, Randy .... in ET terms, and in simple years.
If you ever visit England again, make your way to Brookwood, which was a car racing track in Surrey (near London) in the 1920s / 30s. Barbara Cartland was a 'track bunny' and there is quite a lot about her in the museum on the site. She was quite young then, of course, and a normal sort of upper-class young woman, and fairly sprightly.

No false eylashes, nor loads of novels, extraordinary pink etc., just normal - well, for the upper classes at any rate.

Part of the heavily-cantilevered track is still there, and it's fairly mind-boggling in terms of imagining these people racing cars around it. Also a wind tunnel, and some WW2 / post WW2 planes - it's a good day's entertainment because it was the site of both that racetrack and the Vickers aircraft factory. My boys, when aged 9 and 10, had a great time in a plane with an old vet who took them through flying a WW2 plane - not that it ever left the ground of course - but they played under instruction with the radio and flight controls. I was ordered to the back of the plane and put in charge of a decommissioned machine gun ... and thus left with nothing useful at all to do, of course.

Rather good restaurant, too ....

Brooklands is the name (not Brookwood). There was a wonderfully casual atmosphere in its heyday, when the Brits regarded motor sport as a spiffing day out and a strictly amateur affair. Anybody at all could take to the track at Brooklands, and many an incompetent driver, without benefit of seat belt or crash helmet, would hurtle round at indecent speed in a recently acquired second-hand racing car, until he overshot the edge of the banking and came crashing down through the treetops. In which case he might not be missed till the end of the day, or at whatever time his family and friends began to wonder whatever became of him.

Tach! Brooklands, it is! And, Bob, didn't a girl in the Waugh novels race round the circuit, only to expire in a local hospital after an extraordinary accident?

That will be Vile Bodies, Mon. For the bright young things in the world of Waugh, extraordinary accidents are a constant hazard. As is expiration.

Hello, Monica:

I suppose it’s appropriate to this thread that Bob calls you "Mon." He’s so cheeky that one!

Thanks for the info on Barbara Cartland the "track bunny." Evidently she went anywhere fun could take her. I know she loved flying, too, and even piloted gliders, carrying mail for which she was later awarded some sort of prize. Your family seems to have had a good time at Brooklands — or rather they did and you were just there!

Your mentioning old Barbara reminds me of my correspondence with her some years ago; she was quite a trooper, answering questions about her "deb" days and giving me permission to quote from her books (several of them mention Lucile). She was fairly upright for her class, as you say, never getting much past the tea cups with men in her youth. But I suspect it was because she was shy, not because she was so terribly moral. Her first novels were racy, whether or not her own life was, she wrote a play that was kicked out by the Lord Chamberlain’s office, and her gossip column was peppered with naughty innuendo. Of course, in time she became this crusader of virginity, the defender of sugary sweet romance in a cloud of pink. But then that was after she became the mother of a daughter. And don’t you bet she had her hands full reigning Raine in?!

When I met her in 1999-2000 the old warhorse was slowing down but she was still remarkably astute and lively for her 97 years. She wasn’t dressed in pink but she was wearing high heels that made her unsteady and I was afraid she was going to trip over her dogs as she showed me around her place. She gossiped the whole time, scolding me about "your naughty prime minister" (referring to Clinton and "Monicagate") and putting down the royals who "are just as awful," she said. She also told me she’d been asked to endorse a lesbian romance novel. "I suppose the cover will have two girls kissing!" she laughed. "Can you imagine it?" I didn’t dare tell her I could!

Anyway, obviously she was a lot of fun, and that day in Hatfield pouring tea for Dame Barbara (she wasn’t able to lift the pot) and listening to her stories is a fond memory. Old Babs died soon after my visit so it was sad and a little weird because, while waiting for my taxi, she and I stood at a window in her living room watching the rain, and she pointed to an old oak tree not many yards away. She said Queen Elizabeth I had planted it, that its acorns were magical and that she was going to be buried there.

Back