Secret engines on the Mauretania

Tom, the Shipbuilder has been in business for well over a century and there is no way I could possibly give you every single title and special put out. The titles listed in the index of both volumns of Mark Warren's reprint alone are a formidable number and just cover the period of 1906-1914, and at that, only the liners. The publication is now known as Shipping World and Shipbuilder in it's current incarnation.

I have to wonder if even they could answer your question.

Mmmmmm..if you're talking about the Great Liners of the Past series, I know of only one, and that the Maxtone-Graham reprint that I have. Unfortunately, it's no longer in print. As to whether the thing is on microfilm, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Every once in awhile, somebody does a reprint project, and they have to get the material from somewhere.

What are the names of the shipbuilder reprint books you have. The reprint books i have are The cunard turbine-driven quadruple-screw atlantic liner Mauretania and the ocean liners of the past queen mary

The One's I have are of the Ocean Liners of the Past dealing with the Olympic and Titanic as well as the two volumn series edited by Mark Warren. I'm afraid that even if I had the means to scan and post the deckplans, (I don't) I still couldn't do it as all this material is copyright protected. I haven't counted how many deckplans I have by way of these books.

Also around in addition to the ones Mike mentioned are Ocean Liners of the Past Aquitania, and Mauretania (1939), as well as Empress of Britain 1931. I am currently looking for these 3.

There might also be one for the Queen Elizabeth however I am not certain.

Brian

Ocean Liners of the Past for Queen Elizabeth? Is this a reprint or an original issue? I'd love to see a copy.

Thought there were only 7 reprints from the Shipbuilder:

#1 Olympic/Titanic
#2 Lusitania/Mauretania
#3 Aquitania
#4 Empress of Britain
#5 Normandie
#6 Queen Mary
Unnumbered Canberra.

There are also the Engineering reprints by Mark Warren.
Lusitania
Mauretania
Aquitania
and various ships covered in Volumes 1 and 2

Have I missed any?
Not sure if Mauretania 2 might have been reprinted at some time as well.

--SDR

Hi, Scott:

You're quite right. As far as I know, a Queen Elizabeth edition was never produced in the Ocean Liners of the Past series.

The Mauretania 2 edition of Engineering was reprinted as was that for Campania/Lucania.

Eric Sauder

Thanks Eric --

"The Queen Elizabeth: The World's Greatest Ship" by Winchseter Publications (c)1947 is probably about the closest thing ther is to a "Shipbuilder" on her. No plans, but you have to love the colorized photographs.

--SDR

Michael did you check your book for the number of engine and dynamo room plans? and dose anny of your books cover the Empress of Ireland coud you answer thees qustins Ware was the dynamo room on the Empress of Ireland and how many
boilers,pumps and dynamos were there.Are there any plans of the engine,boiler and dynamo rooms?and did yo check out my clam on the Mauretania ?

Tom, I've been so busy the past week that I haven't had time to check anything. I do remember the Empress Of Ireland and the deck plans are included.

I'll be out of town for four days to attend the Topeka Event that Erik Wood is hosting. I'll be taking my volumns with me so I'll have a look then.

Trust me, some of us knew.
smile.gif

If you ask me it's even more incredible that Mauretania briefly attained 32 knots for several hours in July 1933. For a 26-year-old ship designed to maintain 25 knots, isn't *that* something! I have nothing but admiration for her performance.

Best regards,

Mark.

Back