Should The Wreck Site Be Declared Off Limits

Let me repeat what Kyrila has quoted on August 1st:

"it is 'a maritime memorial, a grave site and an underwater museum and laboratory."

I think the Titanic is nothing of that. What is the meaning of any memorial site, any grave site, any museum? People can visit these sites for remembering, mourning or getting informed. These places are normally kept in good condition for later generations. And to me a grave yard is a place were people are buried by people.

Not one of these points is valid for the Titanic: nobody (except wealthy people) can visit this site and in that depth it cannot be served for later generations.

To my opinion salvaging as much things as possible is the best way to bring (a part) of this tragedy to places were we can visit them and remember the ship and the people on board.

I know I am probably standing alone with my point of view. But let me add the following: if any relicts of human beings would be found, I think this should be bring up and buried. What maybe would be the opinion of most of the drowned if they had been asked before whether to salvage them or not: "Let me rest on this ugly cold place" or "If possible, please salvage my corpse and bury me on a regular cemetery"?

Henning,
I happen to share your view on this issue. I expect few mariners would choose the shattered hulk of an underwater wreck as their final resting-place. Unless they are diehard seamen, the boat is simply their job.

Why shouldn't a body be recovered and attempts made to identify it? If the remains are identified, release them to the family to do as they wish; if not, bury the remains inland or cremate and scatter the ashes. Either way you remove the body from the wrecksite, and you remove the temptations to exploit it.

I'm afraid the temptation to exploit it is there, human remains present or not. When $$$$$$$ talks, everything else seems to walk, the ethics notwithstanding.
angry.gif

As to what mariners would choose, quite a few choose the option of being buried at sea, and I may excercise that option myself. As a retired Navy man, I have the right to be buried at sea from the decks of a U.S. warship. To those who make the sea a career, "the boat" is never just a job. She's something one may love or hate for her virtues and vices, but you do form an attatchment.

Word to the wise, never badmouth a sailor's ship even if you hear them doing it...unless you can duck real fast! It's a right to gripe that the officers and crews reserve for themselves, not outsiders.
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Greetings To All,
I agree with Henning, If you will indulge me, please ponder the following...
For 80 plus years the sinking of Titanic had been a mystery. Each of these dives have helped us to learn more about what happened on the night of April 14, 1912. Though not conclusive, we now know it was not a gaping wound to Titanic's side that made her founder, but possibly an area covering approximately 12 square feet in the seams of the hull. Some even think she may have suffered some keel damage due to the iceberg. We have learned that she lies in 2 pieces on the ocean floor. We have learned, from scientists, that she is deteriorating and eventually she shall become a pile of rust on the ocean floor. And through these dives, bits and pieces of history have been brought to the surface for all to share. It was only a few years ago that all we knew about that fateful night came from firsthand accounts of passengers and crew. There were still questions unanswered and inconsistencies. But thanks to the efforts of people like Robert Ballard and George Tulloch, In just a few years, we have learned a lot more about Titanic's fateful maiden voyage. Before we decide to ban these explorations, please ponder this...Can we learn more about Titanic in continued dives? I think the answer is yes. The bigger question is do we want to learn more? Definitely! But that has to come with some expected and sometimes unwanted outcomes whatever they be. Titanic has been a series of mysteries and with each dive, the mystery has become more clear. I think those who say not to continue, may have had their mystery solved if you will. But to some of us she is still a mystery and we must continue to explore her for the answers. My apologies for being so long winded here and I hope I haven't angered anyone. Thank you.
Best,
Dave McCann

David raised a very intersting point when he wrote: "Titanic has been a series of mysteries and with each dive, the mystery has become more clear". The question is: do we want to keep this disaster as a mystery? Any mystery is a cumulation of legends and involves a lot of open questions and many "maybes". The more we know about the Titanic the smaller the mystery becomes. As a journalist I prefer facts instead of mysteries.

On the other hand Michael is right when he says: "When $$$$$$$ talks, everything else seems to walk, the ethics notwithstanding". But even when they marry down at the wreck (what a couple has done end of July), I say: as strange as it is, let them do, it is their personal thing and personal feeling of luck - if they can afford it. Main thing is: they did not touch anything. Except maybe themselves, but I really do believe they did not make love while diving...
(I know that my opinion to that wedding is very contradictionary specially to Titanic societies which have officially protested against this wedding. What can I do - thats what I think about it...)

Just a thought for all those who disagree with items being salvaged from the Titanic. In 50 years time would anyone remember without these items. i think it's importatant so my Great Great grandchildren will know about it and can see these things in a museum. It reminds us of how arrogant humans can be, and the results of that arrogence. Since shipwrecks are generally not covered in school history,it is most likely that not too many kids will know about her in years to come,without these reminders. At the rate titanic is detiorating there won't be much left if any. As far as touring deathcamps(someone mentioned them)the same it reminds us of how Hitler tried to exterminate a race and that should be remembered we should never forget what happened and all the brave men who served so we can have our freedom.

That argument has been made many times, and is indeed valid. There are, however, alternatives to salvage (with the exception from forensic analysis of the wreck.) For example, some of Olympic's fittings survive in the White Swan Hotel in Britain; a near representation of Titanic's Lounge, albeit her sister's. Another would be the countless photos taken of the wreck itself, as well as period photos of the ship before the disaster.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there are more ways to remember Titanic than grabbing items from the seabed, and placing them out of context in a museum.

Adam

Sherry im going to very respectfully disagree with you here on this. I dont need relic or paintings or other things to remind me. I thinbk the story of Titanic itsself is a powerful gripping story that calls across the years and reminds us how blind we can be to our own mortality. What can a relic or lost artifact teach that we cannot find in the story itself? In those things you wont find the dreams, the compelling human drama, the heroicism that came from that night. Neither will you find the tragedies, the stories of how peoples lives were affected for years. Personally, maybe im different like that, but im not drawn to collections and things like that. Maybe thats partly because i view these people who recover them as grave robbers and have no right touching what never did belong to them in the first place. Just because you take your fancy submarine to bottom before anyone else doesnt mean you have any right touching it. None whatsoever. Science is the only ones that have any rights at all there, and even that to me is a little questionable to me. I mean do not misunderstand me. Im all for learning what we can. But doesnt there finally come a time when the people who lost theyre lives there that night, do not they ever get the chance to be at peace? My point comes back to the smae thing. Titanic, not the artifacts or relics on board her, and Titanics people, thats what draws me beack here time and again to learn about her. The story is of itsself powerful. No, im sorry. i will never attend a memoribila show or recovered artifacts show> They show me nothing. Titanic was the ship of dreams. And the power of her story lies within those dreams, and what happened to them. All on one beautiful starlit night. One that changed people forever.And as far as the deathcamps go. Im also sorry, but ill never have the heart to visit a place where so little value was placed on human life, and people died horrendous deaths at the hands of maniacs. If ever a place ghosts exsisted, i bet it would be there, and id surely hear the painful cries of those wondering why they were being put to death because of a relgious choice. I dont think i need to see it to be reminded. The story in of itsself is painful enough

Back