The Allison wedding

In "Titanic The Canadian Story, the author, Alan Hustak, says that Bess and Hudson Allison "were married against her parents' wishes in Milwaukee, Wisconsin"

Can anyone tell me the reason for their objection to the marriage?

Thanks!

Carole

Hi Carole:

at a guess, it may be that Hudson and bess only knew each other for a matter of weeks. back then, the usual process was to court for a while before the engagement and marriage.
To marry a "stranger" was considered as a bad stain on the family name.

if you find out the reason, please let me know

Don Lynch and I talked about this years ago - from what I can remember the Waldos considered that Hudson was from the "wrong side of the tracks" at the time they were married.

In actual fact Hudson was already an established man of business by 1905 two years before he met Bess. He had been working for his uncles insurance brokers before moving to 'Sun and New York Life' where he was inducted into the elite $200,000 club. I also understand that his family were successful business people who had various community projects to their name too.
I suppose my point is that he was far from the wrong side of the tracks, unless of course Bess' family took exception to Canadians.
Regards, John.

Hi David,

I have never heard that, why would the Daniels family think Hudson was from the "wrong side of the tracks"?
can anybody give me an actual source as to where this information came from? I am interested to find out who said this. feel free to contact me privately if it is not allowed to be discussed on the messageboard

There is no question that Hudson was doing quite well. I have no idea why the Waldo family felt the way they did although they probably changed their mind. (I am all for marrying Canadians - this 5th generation Californian did!)- Anyway Don Lynch is the source. He also happens to be related to the Waldo family.

David, do you have a contact for Don Lynch? either by email or mail? i am interested to know how he is related to bess' family since i am too, although only distantly. i could then, ask him myself.

quote:

dose anyone have any contact information for don lynch?

No, and even if we did; it's not right to give it out without permission from that person directly. It's something called privacy. If Don Lynch sees your post and wishes to comment, then he will do so.​

jason i expressed the fact that i understand you need to get his permission. jason i'm begining to think you are just trying to bad mouth me. i asked a simple question.

No, I don't bad mouth anyone, Grant. I was just explaining the proper procedure when it comes to someone's e-mail address. So, please don't take it personally.

Hi Grant

When I needed to get in touch with Mr. Lynch, I was advised to write to him via the THS, which you can get the address for online.
I can't tell you if he will reply or get the mail, but that is what another member on here advised me to do.

regards
Mary

>>jason i'm begining to think you are just trying to bad mouth me.<<

Moderator's Hat on: I saw the Cleaver thread where Jason and a few others engaged you and saw no attacks. I did see rebuttals and a request for sources, but that's a chance we all take on a public access forum. That's not badmouthing, that's debate. If you don't like that, then walk away from it.

According to Hustak's book (or possibly Geller's, but I think it was Hustak's) Bess's father was a factory clerk. I've thus assumed her roots were very humble and becoming a rich man's wife was something her family could not have reasonably expected for her.
The Allisons are always depicted as fervent Methodists. I wonder if Bess was a Methodist before her marriage. If not, this could shed light on her family's disapproval.

Back