The mystery of the collision

The question I ask how does one override the Captain order? He has given no orders to slow the ship down, in fact he has asked to increase speed! The order just keep your eye open for the ice field and iceberg! Overriding a Captain order is not the smartest move for any officers. What made it worse for Smith is the fact the Captain of California Lord Stanley approach to the same ice field was textbook correct! Put extra lookout men and slowed the ship down before reaching the ice field. Just remember Lord got the same warnings as Smith did? What one should be looking at is the pressure Smith has been under from the last 6-7 months of his life. Which is never mention! I can assure you it was well about the averaged life for a top line Captain?
Mike.

It wouldn't be hard to notice. Trust me on that! A ship in a hard turn at high speed heels over VERY noticeably. It's just that to a sailor or even a well seasoned traveler who was crossing the ocean all the time, it just wouldn't be considered to be remarkable.

Over time, you get used to things on a ship: the assorted noises of ventilation, machinery, the assorted creaks and groans of the hull working in a seaway, the pounding of waves and so on.

You just don't think about it.

I'll tell you what does get a sailors attention real quick: It's the absence of something which should be there but suddenly isn't. I learned to sleep through just about anything, including the bangs and thuds of planes being recovered to or launched from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. It was things suddenly got quiet for no good reason whatsoever that I was awakened out of a sound sleep!

You know what, you're actually right. Living on the Air Force base, visitors point out the sounds of the aircraft on the flightline nearby even though I swear I didn't hear a thing.

He has given no orders to slow the ship down, in fact he has asked to increase speed!
He is no evidence that he was ever asked to increase speed.
What made it worse for Smith is the fact the Captain of California Lord Stanley approach to the same ice field was textbook correct!
Textbook correct? What does that mean? Lord never slowed his ship down until he saw ice ahead. And then he had to take radical action to stop his ship from getting into it. In his case he went hard-aport and full speed astern on his engine.

The speed made by Californian gave her officers just about the time needed to spot the ice and crash stop maneuver. So at twice that speed, you would need a miracle to avoid that ice in the same conditions!

The common practice of the time was said to keep course and speed until ice was sighted. «Was sighted» … in normal weather conditions? What means normal weather conditions on the south ridge of the Newfoundland Grand Banks? Titanic was sailing across the westerlies convergence zone between the polar high and the temperate low. In April, the wind direction varies on a westerly semi circle, converging from north Beaufort Scale 5 to south Beaufort Scale 3. Beaufort Scale 5 is known to generate moderate waves taking a more pronounced long form, many white horses and chance of some spray whereas Beaufort Scale 3, make large wavelets, crests begin to break, foam of glassy appearance and perhaps scattered white horses. Therefore, April calms in that area are exceptionally rare even more inexistent, to the point that it could not be considered as «normal».

pilot_10.jpg

Then, «If it becomes at all doubtful let me know at once; I will be just inside» vs. «it was rather a pity the breeze had not kept up whilst we were going through the ice region. Of course, my reason was obvious; he knew I meant the water ripples breaking on the base of the berg»

The Captain required to be called at ounce if it became at all doubtful, right in front of a senior officer inquiring that it was a pity that the breeze had not kept up whilst they were going through the ice region, to a Captain who knew what meant the absence of ripples breaking on the base of the berg. Furthermore, they both questioned themselves if there would be enough reflected light, from a new moon, to white outline the blue (dark) side of an iceberg so to give sufficient warning. But as stated in 13617; «we should be able to see it». We Should ...

Can we still promote the common practice of the time to keep course and speed until ice was sighted when;

- the sea was dead calm in a region known to be windy,
- it was a dark moonless night,
- there was knowledge of an approaching ice region,
- there was a justified concern about iceberg’s range of visibility under those conditions,

… and all above, at a pace of 21½kts which was considerable for the time compared to the average shipping speed, while knowing that the reaction time would be greatly reduced but the complex machinery not any faster to maneuver. If my calculations are good, reducing speed from 22½kts to 15½kts (Half Ahead / 50RPM / Turbine Engaged) between 20h00 and 05h00, would require an average speed of less than 22¾kts to arrive New York before expected time!

The Escalation of Commitment is a human behavior pattern in which an individual facing increasingly negative outcome from the environment nevertheless continues the same behavior rather than alter course. Besides, it could be difficult to keep the critical distance needed to assure safety if a person has a propensity for over-commitment to the company and 1st class passengers, just like today’s …

It is, however, to be hoped that the last has been heard of the practice and that for the future it will be abandoned for what we now know to be more prudent and wiser measures. What was a mistake in the case of the "Titanic" would without doubt be negligence in any similar case in the future.

Dated this 30th day of July, 1912.
MERSEY.
Wreck Commissioner.

Save by the clock...

Yes, saved by the clock. I don't disagree with what you stated. In that conversation between Smith and Lightoller they seemed to be reassuring each other that despite the calm conditions, because the night was perfectly clear and stars could seen down to the horizon they thought that they would still be able to sight danger in time to avoid.

According to what Lord wrote in 1959, he said he noticed a brightening on the horizon about 10:15 and after concluding it was ice, at 10:21 he acted to stop his ship. The vessel stopped about 1/4 mile from the edge of the field he said after turning around under hard-aport helm and full astern on his engine. At 11 knots, he would have gone about 1 mile further toward the icefield before realizing what was ahead. I guessing that when he did realize that it was ice he was about 1/2 mile away.

Would that mean the Titanic's lookouts would see this 'brightening on the horizon' much sooner than the Californian did because the lookouts were considerably higher and could see further away? Was the ice barrier mistaken for a band of haze on the horizon?

Yes, saved by the clock. I don't disagree with what you stated. In that conversation between Smith and Lightoller they seemed to be reassuring each other that despite the calm conditions, because the night was perfectly clear and stars could seen down to the horizon they thought that they would still be able to sight danger in time to avoid.

According to what Lord wrote in 1959, he said he noticed a brightening on the horizon about 10:15 and after concluding it was ice, at 10:21 he acted to stop his ship. The vessel stopped about 1/4 mile from the edge of the field he said after turning around under hard-aport helm and full astern on his engine. At 11 knots, he would have gone about 1 mile further toward the icefield before realizing what was ahead. I guessing that when he did realize that it was ice he was about 1/2 mile away.

I have experienced a similar occasion. We were sailing along the Newfoundland east coast during the icebergs season. I was then second mate on the 12-4 watch. During a pitch dark night embellished by a snow storm, I was sitting by the Radar and watching desperately nonstop with both eyes wide open, the PPI (Perpendicular Plan Indicator … the TV) at full sea speed!

I told myself that it was a kamikaze situation and I should call the captain. But when you call, they always ask you the same question; «Is-there any traffic? » If you answer no, they will tell you that if you see any concerned traffic, to call back … good night! I tough about it for a minute, then I called him. Captain, sorry to wake you up at 02:00, but the visibility is reduced and I think that I saw ice on the Radar. I’ve got stomach cramps and need to go to toilet. He believed me since the cook wasn’t too good. As soon as he appeared on the bridge, I gave him the course, no traffic and jumped off. I did not have the time to reach my cabin that I felt the engine going down. Once back up after a smoke, he told me that he had reduced the speed till daylight, gave me the same course and off he went. I won the game!

When you’re an OOW stuck with a situation you don’t agree, you must find a ruse to get away with it. I you fail, you will have to argue, say that you’re not comfortable with the situation and request the master presence on the bridge. That can be the end of your career for that company but you will find another embarkment since you are «still alive». One lost ten found. Please believe me that I always found a solution to get away with an unsafe practice. Some of them gave me really hard time though … but it takes what it takes.

Was Mate Murdoch comfortable with his fate? Another debate …

Would that mean the Titanic's lookouts would see this 'brightening on the horizon' much sooner than the Californian did because the lookouts were considerably higher and could see further away? Was the ice barrier mistaken for a band of haze on the horizon?

You usually see an Ice Blink when there are low nimbostratus dark grey clouds. But you never know. Everyone saw everything that night ...

Back