The wreck

Bill, I agree. Lusitania is obscure, and shouldn't be. Thank you, Ken and Eric for the work you have done to keep her memory alive, dispite the crowds TODAY not wishing to learn more.
Sincerely,
Colleen

I'd look forward to such a book myself. I have a copy of Eric's "RMS Lustitania, Triumph of the Edwardian Age" which I bought from Eric a couple of years ago. It's not the thickest book going, but it's content is impressive to say the least.
When the definative Lusitania book comes out, I'm certain that the Sauder Brothers will be the ones who write it!

Hear! Hear! Michael,

And Ken Marschall would be the my choice for some excellent artwork. I envisage a work like Lynch & Marschall's TITANIC: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY with similar title with LUSITANIA instead of TITANIC.
How about it?
I'll grab a copy the minute it hits the shelves down here.
Thanks to all who frequent this LUSITANIA section and make it so interesting. I'm hooked ;-)

Martin

after seeing Ken's painting of the Andrea Doria wreck I always wondered how the Lusy would hve looked the day after.
Based on the writings of D. Knowlton, Commutator vol1#1 1990, E. Sauder & Marschall, RMS Lusitania: A Triumph...1993, Commutator vol18#4 1995. I came up the the attached image

cheers
Martin
31906.png

Hello:

I also enjoyed Eric Sauder's contribution to Spark's web-page. I too have a particular interest in LUSITANIA and MAURETANIA 1. Amongst my memoriabilia holdings is a first public release of Schweiger's log recordings for 7 May 1915. Circulated via the New York Times supplement.

I had always taken Schweiger's personal account of his dastardly act as gospel, and his recording of *black funnels* precise. No matter the primitiveness of the U-Boat's periscope, Schweiger would also record in his log, to the effect... "LUSITANIA in gold on her bow". Now assuming the ship's letters were similar in dimensions to TITANIC's, and were of an affixed brass design, (SEE: April 94 Nat'l Geo.) then certainly he was in range to correctly identify the distinction between *black* and *Cunard Orange*. Unlike the "razzle dazzle" paint schemes, chosen to nullify a potential torpedo bearing, I feel that *four* Cunard orange funnel tops would make for a sitting duck! However, the wrongdoings (IMHO) behind a particular *secretative* door would consequently culminate with the same end result...the sinking of the LUSITANIA.

My memorabilia collection also boasts an errie post-LUSITANIA broadside, depicting the HUN'S atrocities, including LUSITANIA victims. The entailing wail cries out..."AMERICA the hope of all who suffer - the dread of all who wrong."

And granted that Schweiger was acting on orders,
he too was a man of feeling, for he would also record...

..."I could not have fired a second torpedo into that mass of humanity stuggling to save their own lives."

Michael Cundiff
USA

Back