Titanic Models

Speaking of wreck models, I'm brewing a plan to build a model of the INTERIOR of the wreck; well, a section of it, anyway! I've been utterly fascinated by all the interior exploration done on the last Cameron expedition, and have been mulling this one over for a while. It would probably be like a cut-away through the hull with perhaps a couple of decks of the grand staircase chasm, leading off to, say, the reception room walls/windows as found recently.

Something like that, anyway! The 'rescue of Elwood' interior animation sequences from GOTA have also fuelled this idea still further!

Hi All,
I have a question for everyone who like myself is currently working on the Academy/Mincraft 1/350 scale Titanic.
What is the best way to paint the window frames?
My current ideas are to use a fine tip artists marker from the front or a fine brush from behind but I am sure that each of you have a technic which has worked in past.I feel that the detailing of the windows is what will make the model the best it can be and want to ensure that they do not look uneven or blotchy.
Any help would be great!
Thanks again,
Steve Dever

Revell kits can be either very good or terrible- I have thier S boat and it is excellent, as is thier 1/72nd scale Type VIIC U-boat.
I think the ones that have been coming out of Revell Germany are better, but they still rerelease the old ones from time to time.
I believe of all the injection molded models, Minicraft has the best, in spite of some shortcomings, but to offset this you have the great photo-etch sets from Gold Medal Models, and Tom's Model Works, and others.
I was impressed by a 1/144th scale semi-kit I saw photos on line. It is impressive, and would be great to equip for RC (You could even RC the Minicraft kit)
If I was going to build an injection molded Titanic kit, I would choose the Minicraft kit.
Jim Hathaway

i've got the big minicraft one sitting in my closet for the time being until I figure out a place to put it and finish researching it. I just completed a 1/570 wreck model and am planning an olympic in the same scale. If youre willing to put the time and effort into it the revell 1/570 kit it really is a showpiece for those of you with little space.

I know this is the wrong place to post this link, but I can't find a way to get to the right thread. Here is an excellent link to a French web site with photos of many rare Titanic models, including Joe Carvalho's model, sinking model owned by Walter Lord, table top sinking model by E. P. Lunken, Harland and Wolff's builder's model, and many commercial models, including plastic model kits and paper models.

http://philippe.melia.club.fr/maquettes/maquettes.html

Robert H. Gibbons

Jason: Thanks for moving my post to the proper place. The model by L.V. Perry is an interesting one. It actually sank in a lake in Baton Rouge, LA to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the sinking in 1972. My brother was in graduate school and sent the photos from the newspaper to TEA/THS for the Commutator. Robert H. Gibbons

When Loren lived in Garden Grove, I was lucky enough to go with him to the pond with his NY Fireboat, his USS Long Beach, and his two harbor tugs- all wonderful models. (Titanic stayed at home, something about high insurance premiums after one claim in 1912;-)
Here is a link to see his work on Long Beach.
http://wmunderway.8m.com/museum/lamaritime/lamaritime.html
This model has a sound system, lights, revolving radars, the Terrier and Talos launchers elevate and traverse with the directors, as do the 5"38 mounts. Even more impressive, the asroc traverses, and one group of cells elevates, doors open and the launch rail extends as on the actual launcher.
The model is magnificent as is all Loren's work.
He now operates Gold Medal Moodels and supplies excellent photo-etch detail sets for many ship models, including Titanic.
His NY fireboat is built from Revell's Firefighter, and features independant throttle, helm, siren, and working waterpump plumbed to water nozzles-unbelieveable!
His harbor tugs were built from the Lindberg kits, using a servo for helm, and a servo motor for propulsion, and are great fun! Also a easy project for someone starting out in the hobby.

That's an impressive model of the US Long Beach there. I've seen this ship several times in the real world, albit long after the Talos launchers and the SPS 32 and 33 radar sets had been removed. The attention to detail shown in this work is remarkable.

I'm going to withdraw my statement that L.V. Perry's model sank in a lake in Baton Rouge, LA. My brother did send me a newspaper article about the lake event in 1972, but now that I look at the photos, I don't see the dots from the newspaper photos. And we learn that Perry did models for a museum in California. Robert H. Gibbons

Hi Michael,
It is impressive, the actual ship is now in Bremerton, stripped to the main deck.
A pipedream of mine has always been doing USS Chicago, an Albany class CG. Drawings are hard to come by, I have only seen an inboard profile, but they were awesome to see-for a running model, the superstructure does make me apprehensive.
For now, I will stay with my corvettes (Flower and Castle Class)and Japanese destroyer.
Actually, Long Beach was Loren's private model, and it was donated to the museum after he retired her from running-
As beautiful as his Long Beach is, his Gearing Class DD, USS Vogelgesang is even nicer, as he was able to take full advantage of his photo-etching abilities.

>>It is impressive, the actual ship is now in Bremerton, stripped to the main deck. <<

Unfortunately, I'm all too aware of that, as is every nuclear powered surface warship we've ever built save for aircraft carriers.

>>A pipedream of mine has always been doing USS Chicago, an Albany class CG. Drawings are hard to come by,<<

Have you tried Naval Sea Systems Command? I don't know how forthcoming they'll be but these are the people that have oversight on Navy ships and their design. It may be worth a shot.

The last time I saw the Chicago, she had returned from overseas for he decommissioning. You could see the armour belt that was mounted on the hull of the ship.

Will try them, I usually go to The Floating Drydock for my drawings http://floatingdrydock.com/
Most are edited booklet of general plans.
I got my drawings for Panay from him, another project in the planning stage- another one with a topweight/shallow draft problem to solve.
When I lived in San Pedro, I saw Chicago going to Bremerton under tow- fascinating ships, all 3 began as all gun heavy cruisers of the Pittsburg class, hence the armor belt.
The topweight problem would require thought, on the actual ships they constructed the superstructure of aluminum- I bet docking them was a challenge-

I am
I'm currently building the Revell 1/400 Titanic model, it's 70cm long and extremely detailed, has anyone else built Titanic models?

JB.
I am about halfway through a 1/200 scale Titanic. Plank on frame all wood apart from a few photo etch railings and the staircase domes. The table is 6ft. long
20180605_153952.jpg

Back