Some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes that are sitting on shelves on the side of the thing, and the way you detach the ballast is you get everybody ob-board to lean to one side of the sub and they roll off
He could not have been serious! How are the occupants supposed to "lean to one side and roll off the pipes" when the sub is underwater?

He could not have been serious! How are the occupants supposed to "lean to one side and roll off the pipes" when the sub is underwater?
Who knows. Apparently a lawsuit was filed against Oceangate from an inspector who was hired to assess the submersible's safety but was then fired because he brought up concerns over the design:

Oceangate v. David Lochridge

It's worth a read, starts at page 9.

A TV reporter who did a story on the Titanic sub said: 'Some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes that are sitting on shelves on the side of the thing, and the way you detach the ballast is you get everybody ob-board to lean to one side of the sub and they roll off,'
An update on CNN said they also have manual hydraulic lifts they can use to push the ballast off. The ballast is crucial. If they can dump the ballast, the sub will float to the surface on its own.
Rescuers then have to find it in an area the size of Northern Ireland. Time is the enemy. The people are in an airtight metal compartment. They can't get out on their own. Someone has to undo the 17 bolts that seal the sub. But if located above the water, as a last resort rescuers could drill into the sub to get oxygen to the occupants.
That ballast system, combined with the use of a games controller and a vintage looking laptop, what were they thinking? sounds like a wish.com special to me.

Drilling would make sense, i wonder if they would drill a hole and then undo the hatch or go full extrication to get them out quicker?

That ballast system, combined with the use of a games controller and a vintage looking laptop, what were they thinking? sounds like a wish.com special to me.

Drilling would make sense, i wonder if they would drill a hole and then undo the hatch or go full extrication to get them out quicker?
The whole situation is just weird. They had the most qualified people on that dive (the CEO, Nargeolet, Hamish Harding), you'd think something would have happened by now to clarify what is going on.

The whole situation is just weird. They had the most qualified people on that dive (the CEO, Nargeolet, Hamish Harding), you'd think something would have happened by now to clarify what is going on.
Yea makes me wonder if something is being covered up, there shouldn't be a reason for a sub to go AWOL and No Contact in 2023, feels like MH370, what would be worse is if they found the sub and didn't give any further updates, or they never find the sub.

I'm curious what sort of distress beacons were on the sub and if there was any telemetry linkback to the mothership? if there was indeed no way of telemetry being linked back then that's just crazy for 2023.

This would be sensed on hydrophones which are designed to detect enemy submarines running quiet. The military might be withholding some information, especially if this provides a clue to how sensitive they really are.
NOAA are the hydrophone people right? another chance is if any Navy vessels were operating passive SONAR at the time, any chance they could find it with Active SONAR?

Also if they found it on the seafloor, is there anything they could do to admit oxygen like a drill bit with an oxygen line through it or would that risk implosion?

NOAA are the hydrophone people right? another chance is if any Navy vessels were operating passive SONAR at the time, any chance they could find it with Active SONAR?

Also if they found it on the seafloor, is there anything they could do to admit oxygen like a drill bit with an oxygen line through it or would that risk implosion?
I don't think this is the case. This is innocent civilians with concerned families waiting for any news, not some covert military operation.

The submersible is tiny compared to many other things in the ocean. If it did implode, what kind of sound footprint would it send out?

No way could you extend some sort of oxygen line at that depth. Where would it connect to?

I don't think this is the case. This is innocent civilians with concerned families waiting for any news, not some covert military operation.

The submersible is tiny compared to many other things in the ocean. If it did implode, what kind of sound footprint would it send out?

No way could you extend some sort of oxygen line at that depth. Where would it connect to?
Well apparently those hydrophones are really sensitive and can pick up things from miles away.

Yep my dad just told me if they did find it on the ocean floor they can't do anything without bringing it back up.

I just saw that David Pogue video and he was very honest and that in itself was not encouraging. One point he said was that they suddenly lost communication with the sub when it was 2/3 of the way down to the Titanic, which is between 8000 and 9000 feet deep. That more or less rules out that the vehicle snagged on something and is trapped; the only other alternative he said was that there could have been a "catastrophic event" like a hull breach and implosion.
The reports that I read clarified that they didn't necessarily "lose" communication at that moment; but, rather, it only signified the time for which the last piece of communication was received on the way down. I'm assuming that the last communication didn't mention anything out-of-the-ordinary -- or else that would have been reported.

I was trying to find a source that explained just how often Titan communicates while descending. Is it normal to only periodically communicate on the way down? The descent takes quite a bit of time; so, I imagine that those in the submersible would probably spend their time talking to one another.

I'm under the assumption that no reason (from the surface) has been found as to why communication stopped. In other words, there aren't any cable or electrical issues that were discovered that could explain a loss of communication.

The reports that I read clarified that they didn't necessarily "lose" communication at that moment; but, rather, it only signified the time for which the last piece of communication was received on the way down. I'm assuming that the last communication didn't mention anything out-of-the-ordinary -- or else that would have been reported.

I was trying to find a source that explained just how often Titan communicates while descending. Is it normal to only periodically communicate on the way down? The descent takes quite a bit of time; so, I imagine that those in the submersible would probably spend their time talking to one another.

I'm under the assumption that no reason (from the surface) has been found as to why communication stopped. In other words, there aren't any cable or electrical issues that were discovered that could explain a loss of communication.
Knowing what sort of electrical system they had on board would help, though judging by the other parts of the sub probably nothing special, but a dead battery would explain the lack of communication.

Also worth noting if everything runs off that laptop with no manual backup, any problems with that laptop (and i'm guessing no replacement parts) and they would be out of everything including control, could have gotten fried by a windows update or anything.

Back