Titanic Survivor Autographs

Does anyone who posts here specialize in autographs? Also, are Titanic survivor autographs something that will increase in value? Which passengers autograph would be the most collectable and how can someone tell if they are fake?

I think that they would increase in value in time. Probably Astor's and the other nationally famous passengers' autographs would be the of the most value. But what do I know... I'm just assuming that it must be a rich 1st class person who died on the Titanic. And as for fake signatures... I have no idea.

The marker (especially eBay) is full of Millvina Dean's autographs on prints, postcards, FDC's etc. etc. Other survivors are quite little compared to Millvina's autograph.

Jeremy, Millvina has autographed anything that would stay still long enough. Here, on the other side of the world, I could buy an authentic autographed card for under $US20 tomorrow. The source has them by the dozen, plus a few from Edith Walker and a Swedish survivor whose name escapes me. Don't be sucked in.

I should think that the really rare autographs would be those of the people who were lost. No big signig sessions for them!

I have the 'triple threat' in autographs. In my First Edition Titanic An Illustrated History, I have Don Lynch, Ken Marschall and Millvina Dean's autograph on the first page. I did not get those to increase the value of the book, I got it because it was something special and after all she did survive the sinking.

I have autographs of the following authors who travelled on the Titanic:

Lucy Duff-Gordon
Helen Churchill Candee
Frank D. Millet
William T. Stead
May Futrelle
Gilbert M. Tucker
Lawrence Beesley (if somebody else has one, let me know!)

Although it may not count, I also have a Gracie signed by his daughter.

I guess some of them might be valuable, and if you have any idea of their possible value, I would be interested to know - the books are not for sale, though :) .

Kalman

I have Geoff Whitfield's autograph, on a "Titanic get together" dinner menu. Does that count?
smile.gif

In my opinion, the most important names of those in Kalman's collection are W.T. Stead and Lady Duff Gordon as they were internationally famous in 1912 and are still remembered today (albeit in specialized genres) for their lives apart from Titanic.

The most important from a purely Titanic angle must surely be Beesley.

Amen to that, sir.

I've only heard of 4 copies actually autographed by Lawrence Beesley - and I seem to recall, years ago, one or two on Ebay but cannot be sure of those - and one letter.

Aw, come on, folks, there MUST be more of these out there. And if there are, please send them to Pat Cook, c/o his parole officer: Sgt. Plockett, Houston P D, Houston, TX. And I'll send you, at no charge, a wonderful thank-you card with my autograph. Oh, and fingerprints, too, if you like! They're making several copies of those right now.

Best regards, all

I have seen a first edition of Lawrence Beesley's book which was signed by Ruth Dodge. It's in private hands in London and the owner says he will not sell it until he needs money for early retirement!

Cheers,

Boz

I have quite a few autographs of survivors but I guess the most prized one is Lightoller's in his book Titanic And Other Ships (it is autographed by both him and his wife, Sylvia). Also have an autographed copy of A Journey In Other Worlds by J. J. Astor (thanks to my being clued in on its availability by Fiona!).

Susan,

I also have the autographs of Ken, Don, and Millvina, in "Illustrated History", along with that of John Parkinson, UTS President, whose father worked on the Titanic. To me, those autographs will become priceless to us Titanic buffs, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

I also obtained Bob Ballard's autograph, and am willing to wait and see if this will increase the value of any books.

To me, those autographs will always be special.

Also, I'm not sure how many recent forgeries have surfaced. I do know that, a couple of years ago, someone did try to forge Millvina's signature, but it was too obvious.

I just bought a postcard of the Titanic from 1969. It's autographed by 3rd class passenger Frankie Goldsmith. The postcard was given by the artist to the convention thing.

I paid rather alot for this thing (especailly considering it was a postcard, my fiancee flipped! LOL). Only way I got it was telling fi that it might be worth something someday...

Will it be worth something someday???? I'm really curious to know the actual value of it.

I just bought a postcard of the Titanic from 1969. It's autographed by 3rd class passenger Frankie Goldsmith. The postcard was given by the artist to the convention thing.

I paid rather alot for this thing (especailly considering it was a postcard, my fiancee flipped! LOL). Only way I got it was telling fi that it might be worth something someday...

Will it be worth something someday???? I'm really curious to know the actual value of it.

Back