Titanic Tall Tales

Here.
When one of the lifeboats was lowering, they discovered the plug was not in. People began stuffing things into the hole while they looked for the plug. One lady pulled off her underwear and stuffed it into the plug hole.
Certainly sounds interesting and if true, revealing. What was the source of that story?

I was reading about Titanic survivor Robert Williams Daniel and found out that he had made the following statements to the press.
- The Titanic's bow was completely torn away by the collision.
- Men fought, struck and BIT one another in efforts to get to lifeboats.
- I (Daniel) jumped into the water with George and Harry Widener as the Titanic went down, thrashed my way up to the surface and then swam completely nude for several hours in freezing water before being picked-up by a passing lifeboat.

In reality, Daniel was rescued on Lifeboat #3 that was launched 1 hour and 25 minutes before the Titanic sank.

But, in certain doses, doesn't alcohol delay the onset of hypothermia?
Absolutely NOT. It accelerates it for reasons that I explained before.

When exposed to extreme cold, the blood is diverted away from the peripheries like limbs to vital organs like heart, brain, kidneys etc to protect them for longer. That is why the fingers, toes and tip of the nose feel the cold so much sooner. That is a built-in protective mechanism. Alcohol causes cutaneous vasodilation and makes one feel nice & warm but in doing so it would have effectively interfered with that protection of vital organs. In other words, drinking alcohol while exposed to extreme cold can increase chances of getting a heart attack.

Absolutely NOT. It accelerates it for reasons that I explained before.

When exposed to extreme cold, the blood is diverted away from the peripheries like limbs to vital organs like heart, brain, kidneys etc to protect them for longer. That is why the fingers, toes and tip of the nose feel the cold so much sooner. That is a built-in protective mechanism. Alcohol causes cutaneous vasodilation and makes one feel nice & warm but in doing so it would have effectively interfered with that protection of vital organs. In other words, drinking alcohol while exposed to extreme cold can increase chances of getting a heart attack.
100% true. I've tested that on many camping/hunting/fishing trips. A cup of Irish Coffee makes you feel all toasty warm...for a little while. Usually wake up freezing your you know what off a few hours later. Makes it worse in the long run, especially if you don't stop at one...o_O

A cup of Irish Coffee makes you feel all toasty warm...for a little while
Yum! I confess that I do like my Irish Coffee, but in the safe environs of a pub, restaurant or party hall. My favourite after dinner drink, even better than Taylor's Port or Limoncello - my other two favorites.

But the best Irish Coffee IMO should be made with Irish Whiskey, preferably Bushmills.

Attributed to Eleanor Cassebeer:

Immediately after the collision she put on a Kimono and came out on to the deck where she met Harry Anderson. They were strolling together when they met Thomas Andrews. On asking Andrews about prospect of danger, he reportedly reassured them by saying that "The Titanic was absolutely unsinkable. It could break into three distinct parts and each part would then remain afloat indefinitely"

"The Titanic was absolutely unsinkable. It could break into three distinct parts and each part would then remain afloat indefinitely"
There is no quotation mark in the original report from Mrs. Cassebeer. It was Mrs. Cassebeer her own interpretation that the ship was unsinkable.

“We could see the berg towering some 75 to 100 feet out of the sea, and, as I afterwards learned only one-fifth of the iceberg shows above the water you can imagine the enormous size of that mountain of ice. Here we also met Thomas Andrews, who, I understand was the designer of the Titanic. In answer to many questions he assured everybody that we were absolutely safe and that the Titanic was absolutely unsinkable. He said that she could break in three separate and distinct parts and that each part would stay afloat indefinitely.”

I am only referring to the "unsinkable" label from her. On the 10th of April he told Mr. Albert and Mrs. Vera Dick that he always resisted to give the Olympic-class liners the label "unsinkable". He even told them that there is no such thing as an unsinkable vessel in shipbuilding. I believe Mrs. Cassebeer misinterpreted the meaning of that she could break in three separate parts.

I was reading about Titanic survivor Robert Williams Daniel and found out that he had made the following statements to the press.
- The Titanic's bow was completely torn away by the collision.
- Men fought, struck and BIT one another in efforts to get to lifeboats.
- I (Daniel) jumped into the water with George and Harry Widener as the Titanic went down, thrashed my way up to the surface and then swam completely nude for several hours in freezing water before being picked-up by a passing lifeboat.

In reality, Daniel was rescued on Lifeboat #3 that was launched 1 hour and 25 minutes before the Titanic sank.
Major Butt
That sounds like she was quoting Andrews.
there was one like, there was an explosion and body parts flying everywhere. yuck!!

People should read this.

The Shootings on the Titanic. The Definitive Story

It makes the scene on board the Titanic's final minutes sound like the climax of a Sam Pekinpah Western.
I chuckled when I read that. But then thought you might be onto something. Titanic sails with The Wild Bunch. I say that because when I first saw the advertisements for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter I was like "oh god". It actually turned out to be a pretty entertaining movie.

I chuckled when I read that. But then thought you might be onto something. Titanic sails with The Wild Bunch. I say that because when I first saw the advertisements for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter I was like "oh god". It actually turned out to be a pretty entertaining movie.
I'd agree but there are multiple accounts of an officer shooting either people, or shooting to have them step back

Back