Titanic's bow name plates

Regarding the vertical angularity of the name characters and the laying parallel to the sheer line of the tops of these same characters -- I agree totally.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Dave G,g'day mate,You mention port hedland,I just flew into perth from there on sat evening.I over heard somebody say that the temp was 42'c,but the humidity was murder.Our crew were trapped in dampier for three days due to cyclone clare & all the iron ore sites were shut down.I'm back up there in two weeks,I hope it cools down by then.
regards.
seven degrees west.
dw.

David,

You would have liked the BBC NI tv programme Wee Three Cranes. It was about the Yard seen through the tree steam cranes taken in the Yard. You can see two of them beside Titanic down at the Thompson Dock and beside the Canberra as well.

The three of them are just left there, now there have put a fence around them.

Bob,with all due respect,I personally think you are extracting the urine here.Apart from the canted frms at the counter,all frm heels are sqr to the centre line.The butt laps are parallel to the line of frm & in the middle of a frm space(30").Looking at your excellent photo the vertical trunk of the "T's" are sqr to the horizontal seams as are the butts.Perspective plays tricks with the twist of the shell.It's my opinion that the shell plts are rectangular & the letters are sqr & not tilted.Don't put bad money on it!!!
regards.
seven degrees west.
dw.

David:
Since we are two people separated by a common language, I'm not sure what "extracting urine"
means. That aside, it is precisely because "perspective plays tricks" that we have to use a known reference with which to compare the letters. The plate laps are as you and I have both said vertical (90 degrees) with relation to the keel (0 degrees). No matter how the hull is oriented in the slipway, no matter how the plate borders rise with the sheer, this
relationship remains constant. I accented the
plate laps around the name so that there would not be any drastic difference in the contour.
That brings us to whether the vertical aspects of the letters are at the same angle as the plate laps. I personally believe that any photo you want to look at which shows the name and the plate laps will show the vertical aspects of the letters slanting toward the bow with respect to
to the plate laps. If we don't agree on that then we have no basis for discussion. If we at least agree on that then we can discuss things like perspective and the like.
I would submit that it is the letters that are fooling the eye and not the plate laps or upper and lower plate edges.
Here is my challenge (to anybody): Present a photo showing the name and the plate laps where the vertical aspects of the letters do not slope
forward with respect to the plate laps. Also,
explain away the fact that on the rigging plans of all three sisters where they show the lettering, the letters are represented as having
their vertical aspects sloping toward the bow.

Regards,
Bob Read

Jim,I couldn't count the number of times I've walked across there.To get those bearings you must have stood there with a GPS in your hand.Am I right?
regards.
seven degrees west.
dw.

Bob,you're at the advantage of me if you've got a rigging plan,I have no plans at all.I can't for the life of me see why they would tilt the letters.Unless they were trying to make out that they are vertical.If the plan shows them tilted then I'll have to agree with you.Do you know where this photo was taken?
regards.
seven degrees west.
dw.

David:
This photo was taken at H&W's fitting out wharf next to the large floating crane. It is cropped from a larger photo.

Regards,
Bob Read

Bob,this would be the area known to all yard men as "the deep water".It was situated at the end of the Queen's rd (the main drag).after launch ships over a certain size were towed here for fit out.Also in the general area was the Brand dock,for ship repair.I think H&W realized this was a bad move because of their geographic position,as was the clyde,swan hunter, cammel laird & furness.all too far off the shipping lanes supplying europe.On the other hand the northern europe yards did reasonably well.Some south of england yards did a bit also.
Regarding "extracting the urine" it means "taking the mick".No offence intended.
regards.
seven degrees west.
dw.

Bob is right. There would be no distortion in any form or of any kind in this particular area of the hull that would create such an illusion which would lead one to believe that the letters were slightly angled when in reality they were not. All one needs to do is compare the distance between the top edge of the vertical "bar" in the first "T" and the overlap in front of it. Then compare this with the bottom edge of the bar and the overlap and you will see that the distance is far greater - thus the letters were angled. Anybody with only a reasonable understanding of geometry should realise this.

titanicname4.jpg

Back