More progress on the Reversing engine...It's tough work, with the available plans being somewhat difficult to interpret for a non-expert like me. Often, photo's of Britannic's engines help to shed light on things like this and while they have been of some help, there are fairly big differences between them and the plans (assuming I'm making a reasonable interpretation of the plans).

Attachments

• ReversingEngine_05.jpg
    ReversingEngine_05.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 241
  • ReversingEngine_06.jpg
    ReversingEngine_06.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 270
More progress on the Reversing engine...It's tough work, with the available plans being somewhat difficult to interpret for a non-expert like me. Often, photo's of Britannic's engines help to shed light on things like this and while they have been of some help, there are fairly big differences between them and the plans (assuming I'm making a reasonable interpretation of the plans).
AWESOME!! Keep up the fantastic work!!

Latest progress on the Reversing Engine for the Titanic's Portside Reciprocating. This is proving to be an extremely difficult task, far more difficult than I would have expected. Reference for it is limited as I've mentioned before, so I have to try and navigate the differences between the Photographs of the engine and the available plans. The large drum at the back of the engine, which I believe is an oil reservoir for a hydraulic backup system that could be used in case the steam supply to the engine fails or is interrupted seems to also double up as a bracket which attaches the Reversing Engine to the adjacent Y-Frame (column) of the Reciprocating engine. The problem for me at the moment is the nagging feeling that there's probably error creeping in.

Attachments

• ReversingEngine_07.jpg
    ReversingEngine_07.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 273
  • ReversingEngine_08.jpg
    ReversingEngine_08.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 287
Latest progress on the Reversing Engine for the Titanic's Portside Reciprocating. This is proving to be an extremely difficult task, far more difficult than I would have expected. Reference for it is limited as I've mentioned before, so I have to try and navigate the differences between the Photographs of the engine and the available plans. The large drum at the back of the engine, which I believe is an oil reservoir for a hydraulic backup system that could be used in case the steam supply to the engine fails or is interrupted seems to also double up as a bracket which attaches the Reversing Engine to the adjacent Y-Frame (column) of the Reciprocating engine. The problem for me at the moment is the nagging feeling that there's probably error creeping in.

Outstanding work Cian, that looks excellent!

Regarding 'error creeping in' I guess you can only do the best with what information you have available.

Decided to test fit the Reversing Engine to the Reciprocating Engine in the main scene. Texturing and unwrap are not complete, so you will see some oddness there, but otherwise most of the main elements are in place. There are still improvements and additions to be made, it's not precisely placed relative to the engine, but the 'test fit' in the main scene works fairly well.

Attachments

• screenshot001.jpg
    screenshot001.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 340
  • screenshot002.jpg
    screenshot002.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 286
  • screenshot003.jpg
    screenshot003.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 247
  • screenshot004.jpg
    screenshot004.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 273
  • screenshot005.jpg
    screenshot005.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 239
  • screenshot006.jpg
    screenshot006.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 232
  • screenshot007.jpg
    screenshot007.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 244
Hi folks, I've added a new video to my youtube channel showing progress on the engine build. Given that I've been extremely busy in work over the last few weeks there it shows essentially what was in the still images I posted a few weeks ago. Apart from 'unwrapping' the Reversing Engine for texturing and some piping (I'm assuming part of the oiling system) to the Piston rods, the video just adds to the progression on my channel. One little nugget though...after several requests, I've attempted to add sound. I'm not a sound engineer, so it's amateurish and frankly, I have no idea if it's remotely accurate

Hi folks, I've added a new video to my youtube channel showing progress on the engine build. Given that I've been extremely busy in work over the last few weeks there it shows essentially what was in the still images I posted a few weeks ago. Apart from 'unwrapping' the Reversing Engine for texturing and some piping (I'm assuming part of the oiling system) to the Piston rods, the video just adds to the progression on my channel. One little nugget though...after several requests, I've attempted to add sound. I'm not a sound engineer, so it's amateurish and frankly, I have no idea if it's remotely accurate

Your doing a really good job on this. Not as big as Titanics engines but the vid below is of an triple expansion engine room and the sounds it makes. Your sound choice doesn't sound too far off. Again good job.

Your doing a really good job on this. Not as big as Titanics engines but the vid below is of an triple expansion engine room and the sounds it makes. Your sound choice doesn't sound too far off. Again good job.

I have been on the SS Shieldhall ship three times want a fantastic experience you get on how the triple expansion engines work as used in Titanic, although on a on much smaller scale but the principal of steam is the same. The telegraph message from bridge to the engine room telegraph is very much the same as in Titanic to. The only main different is oil been used in the boilers and not coal. The temperature of the oil fired boiler room is over 100f as in Titanic can be as high 120-140f, and back breaking shovelling coal into the boilers. Even the bridge is some thing like on the Titanic again on a smaller scale. All those lovely polished brass work and varnish wood work. The steering gear is very much the same principal as Titanic to.
I would recommend a trip to anybody and the ship is still running to day, but with covid-19 restrictions.

I have been on the SS Shieldhall ship three times want a fantastic experience you get on how the triple expansion engines work as used in Titanic, although on a on much smaller scale but the principal of steam is the same. The telegraph message from bridge to the engine room telegraph is very much the same as in Titanic to. The only main different is oil been used in the boilers and not coal. The temperature of the oil fired boiler room is over 100f as in Titanic can be as high 120-140f, and back breaking shovelling coal into the boilers. Even the bridge is some thing like on the Titanic again on a smaller scale. All those lovely polished brass work and varnish wood work. The steering gear is very much the same principal as Titanic to.
I would recommend a trip to anybody and the ship is still running to day, but with covid-19 restrictions.
I would like to see that engine. I like engines so it would be a treat for me. Would also like to see the SS Jeremiah O'Brien liberty ship engines also. But will have to wait till the bug thing is over as traveling is not fun right now. 100* F doesn't sound that bad. That was spring time where I used to work.

Cheers Mike, Cheers Steven... That is an excellent vid. There's a ton of info in there, great find...

Mike, I'm assuming she's in the UK? Wish I'd known about this when I lived there.

Your Welcome. Glad you liked. If you haven't seen the movie The Sand Pebbles theres some really good engine room scenes in that movie. Although its a smaller engine and different type(still boiler driven) theres still some good stuff in it.

Mike, I'm assuming she's in the UK? Wish I'd known about this when I lived there.
SS Shieldhall is base at Southampton usually at berth 48, two berth away from Titanic set sail at berth 44 which is marked with painted orange bollards. If you seen the video of SS Shieldhall where Queen Mary 2 is leaving berth. Berth 44 is on the other side of the ship. The other interest in Sheildhall she is a rivet built hull not welded. Not bad for a ship built in the 1954!
There is another video of a triple expansion engine at Kempton Steam Museum used at one time for pumping water to London. Which I am a volunteer there. At the present is the worlds largest working steam engine. As used in quite a few Titanic documentaries. However the size of the engine give you a good impression how big this engine were in the past. Although Titanic engines where more than twice the size in cc capacity!

SS Shieldhall is base at Southampton usually at berth 48, two berth away from Titanic set sail at berth 44 which is marked with painted orange bollards. If you seen the video of SS Shieldhall where Queen Mary 2 is leaving berth. Berth 44 is on the other side of the ship. The other interest in Sheildhall she is a rivet built hull not welded. Not bad for a ship built in the 1954!
There is another video of a triple expansion engine at Kempton Steam Museum used at one time for pumping water to London. Which I am a volunteer there. At the present is the worlds largest working steam engine. As used in quite a few Titanic documentaries. However the size of the engine give you a good impression how big this engine were in the past. Although Titanic engines where more than twice the size in cc capacity!
You guys have some good museums there. I was lucky enough to visit a few of them. Glad they are saving some of the older technology so people can see how we got where we are today. I would like that steam museum. I spent hours in the transportation museum in Glasgow, at least I think thats what they called it. The Glenlee was also a cool ship to go thru.

Hi folks, this is the latest progress on my engine build. I've jumped ahead a bit here and moved on to the cylinders, beginning with the Low Pressure Cylinders. It's a 'first pass', so early in their construction and loads still to do. Bearing in mind that it is WIP, feel free to let me know if you see anything wrong.

Attachments

• LP_Cylinder_firstPass_01.jpg
    LP_Cylinder_firstPass_01.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 781
  • LP_Cylinder_firstPass_02.jpg
    LP_Cylinder_firstPass_02.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 296
  • LP_Cylinder_firstPass_03.jpg
    LP_Cylinder_firstPass_03.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 322
  • LP_Cylinder_firstPass_04.jpg
    LP_Cylinder_firstPass_04.jpg