Trumpeter 1/200 Scale

so Trumpeter forgot to add the wheel in the bridge which is unforgivable in my opinion on a ship this scale...
all the other bridge instruments are there except the fracking wheel...

it is also weird that they completely ignored the rigging and didnt include any rigging instructions for the ship.

maybe they come as part of the 180$ add-on you can purchase from Trumpeter....
I find it amazing that so many people on this forum have such criticism of this kit. "It doesn't have this" or "they failed to do that" is nonsense. Aren't you guys modelers? Personally, any shortcomings this model may have are easily corrected or scratch built. Personally, I have a significant library dedicated to the Titanic and her sister ships, but you don't need one. Everything I have is available online with just a little research and time put forth. The omission of the rigging was a stupid oversight, but not an "unforgivable" one...Same with the ship's wheel. No model kit is perfect out of the box, or an exact representation of the real thing. Use the skills you have developed as a modeler to get the effect or perfection you want. Most of all, use your brains in coming up with solutions to what has been poorly made, forgotten or overlooked. If you are not willing to research the model, or put the time into making it how you want, I am sure you can find a very nice carved wooden model ready to display for less than the cost of this kit.
I might add, there is absolutely no ship's wheel in either the 1/200 USS Arizona, or USS Hornet to be found. I certainly don't find that "unforgivable".

Swezam: The best Titanic models I have seen are scratchbuilt. Trumpeter did very little research before creating this kit because cynically they knew they didn’t need to. Whether this kit succeeds or fails is a matter of indifference to me. Of the initial attempts to build it I have seen, the building skills of the modelers has been poor. The novice to average modeler doesn’t know much about the structure of Titanic so it really doesn’t matter what kit they build. The result is always the same.
Most scratch built Titanic Models are 1/100 scale and larger. Find a place in your house that will accommodate something that large. Then gather all of the materials you will need to construct it, (not to mention the tools and consumables), and then scale your model from whatever plans you can acquire. Please remember to make it as accurate as possible with the exact number of rivets, proper center screw, and proper "White Star Buff" paint for the funnels. Be excruciatingly accurate in your build, and please attain museum quality precision in the quality of your finished product...because I can assure you, I will be much more demanding in my assessment of your model than even you can be.
Lastly, and above all else, try to remove as much fun from the process as you can. Discourage people from supporting our hobby or their own interests in order for your cynicism and disdain to be truly felt.
I am sure that your rendition of this kit will be above reproach. I look forward to seeing it on display at the Harland & Wolfe museum in Belfast.

I find it amazing that so many people on this forum have such criticism of this kit. "It doesn't have this" or "they failed to do that" is nonsense. Aren't you guys modelers? Personally, any shortcomings this model may have are easily corrected or scratch built. Personally, I have a significant library dedicated to the Titanic and her sister ships, but you don't need one. Everything I have is available online with just a little research and time put forth. The omission of the rigging was a stupid oversight, but not an "unforgivable" one...Same with the ship's wheel. No model kit is perfect out of the box, or an exact representation of the real thing. Use the skills you have developed as a modeler to get the effect or perfection you want. Most of all, use your brains in coming up with solutions to what has been poorly made, forgotten or overlooked. If you are not willing to research the model, or put the time into making it how you want, I am sure you can find a very nice carved wooden model ready to display for less than the cost of this kit.
I might add, there is absolutely no ship's wheel in either the 1/200 USS Arizona, or USS Hornet to be found. I certainly don't find that "unforgivable".

Most critics endlessly argue the best route but you'll be amazed how many never even learned to drive a car. Some people have such fragile little egos that their sole pleasure in life is tearing others down. Negativity, pomposity and rudeness is their only game. Personally, I think its sad to have so much self worth wrapped up in memorizing where light switches were located in what is in fact nothing more than a rusted out junkyard on the bottom of the sea.
My only rule in life is 'No drama queens'! Enjoy the hobby, ignore negative people and find positive venues where modelers of all levels are there to simply enjoy and help each other.

Last edited:
Anybody can build a Titanic model any way they want. Nobody cares. But to denigrate modelers who strive for excellence is just an attempt to excuse your lack of caring what quality of model you create. Don’t be so insecure. Build a sloppy model and be proud of it!

Anybody can build a Titanic model any way they want. Nobody cares. But to denigrate modelers who strive for excellence is just an attempt to excuse your lack of caring what quality of model you create. Don’t be so insecure. Build a sloppy model and be proud of it!
Are you a modeler?

Actually, I am a modeler and at age 63 I am also an educated historian with a Master's Degree, a retired USAF officer, and a collector of books and artifacts concerning the Titanic. Being insecure is something I have never been accused of. I started collecting research material on the Titanic in 1993 when I decided to build my first model of the ship; (a Minicraft, 1/350th scale). I don't build "sloppy" models or amateurish ones. Whether in plastic or wood, my models are thoroughly researched and as accurate as whatever the scale will allow. Do I use aftermarket and PE pieces? You bet, and am happy to spend the money on them. I also kit-bash and scratch build depending on what I need. My collection of Titanic books totals well over 300, so what I don't know off hand (or have forgotten) I can look up, and includes primary sources and documentation of the build through the investigation, along with eye witness accounts.
I would love to see some of your creations, and would be happy to share mine. As of right now, I am awaiting the Detail Up kit from Trumpeter before I begin my build. I would be happy to share pictures of that build as well. I am sure that compared to your builds, the rest of us will seem like "Sloppy" amateurs. It is a pity you won't be building this kit because of it's unforgivable flaws, I am sure all of us would have benefited from your vast knowledge and undisputed modeling skills.
Have a wonderful day, Mr. Read.

Actually, I am a modeler and at age 63 I am also an educated historian with a Master's Degree, a retired USAF officer, and a collector of books and artifacts concerning the Titanic. Being insecure is something I have never been accused of. I started collecting research material on the Titanic in 1993 when I decided to build my first model of the ship; (a Minicraft, 1/350th scale). I don't build "sloppy" models or amateurish ones. Whether in plastic or wood, my models are thoroughly researched and as accurate as whatever the scale will allow. Do I use aftermarket and PE pieces? You bet, and am happy to spend the money on them. I also kit-bash and scratch build depending on what I need. My collection of Titanic books totals well over 300, so what I don't know off hand (or have forgotten) I can look up, and includes primary sources and documentation of the build through the investigation, along with eye witness accounts.
I would love to see some of your creations, and would be happy to share mine. As of right now, I am awaiting the Detail Up kit from Trumpeter before I begin my build. I would be happy to share pictures of that build as well. I am sure that compared to your builds, the rest of us will seem like "Sloppy" amateurs. It is a pity you won't be building this kit because of it's unforgivable flaws, I am sure all of us would have benefited from your vast knowledge and undisputed modeling skills.
Have a wonderful day, Mr. Read.
Major Bob: My actual modeling gave way to virtual modeling when in the early 2000s I began CAD drafting plans of Titanic, Olympic (maiden voyage and HMT), and Britannic (RMS and HMHS). I sold these plans for a few years. I stopped selling them a couple of years ago to concentrate on writing Titanic research articles. That’s mainly what I do now at age 69. My website and bona fides can be found here: TITANIC CAD Plans. Oh, if it matters I too am educated. I am a retired dentist.

Fellow Modelers; I received my Trumpeter/ Pontos Detail Up upgrade kit today. It was delivered by Fed-Ex. The overall cost was $180 USD and after looking through the parts and directions I can honestly say I was not disappointed! The packaging is superb as is the number of parts and detail you get for the money. Someone went out of their way to make sure that you will have the opportunity to build a "Museum Quality" model. Starting with Brass Screws (including your choice of a 3 or 4 blade center screw, to turned brass capstans and bitts, masts and staffs. The winches are are miniature kits unto themselves being part turned and part PE brass. The Photo-Etch sheets are beautiful and include full wraps for the funnels, lifeboat covers, lifeboat interiors (with oars), benches, deck chairs, and window frames. The instructions are detailed although compact and will require magnification in some areas (especially if you are older, like me). But they did show (although I didn't look for them on the PE sheets) individual lettering in PE for the stern (TITANIC Liverpool) and Bow (TITANIC). It even looks as though the teak railing tops are modeled in PE. Some of the items are redundant to the PE which came with the model, but they may have even more detail. The Funnel Stays also appear to be made from PE, as are the Wireless antenna spacers, but alas, there is not instruction for rigging the ship. That is however easily researched and made. The wooden deck also appears to be superb, and well detailed. As an aside, I saw that BNA Model World will be offering a wooden deck for this model by ARTWOX. I like what ARTWOX produces and may invest in a separate wooden deck from them.
There are literally too many parts and items that make up this upgrade kit to go into great detail, but it put a very large smile on my face, and I am sure it will put one on yours too.
However, before plunking down almost $200 for this kit, be advised it isn't for beginners. You WILL need some of the specialty Photo Etch tools, benders, rollers, magnifiers and such that fine detail work like this requires. If this is your first time using PE on a kit, there are plenty of redundant pieces you can practice on from the PE included in the model itself. Practice, Practice, Practice. Once you get the hang of bending and forming, it becomes almost second nature. For those of you not scared off by what I have said, there are going to be some really outstanding models that will come out with this upgrade. If I can answer any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Major Bob

I forgoto mention before that both the Sounding Boom and the Ships Wheel (along with the Telegraph), are included in the Detail Up kit. Also included are Ship's bells, highly detailed Crow's Nest.Water Brake, Anchor Crane, Stream Anchor, Well Deck bulwarks and anchor chain beds.

Back