Trumpeter 1/200 Scale

I forgoto mention before that both the Sounding Boom and the Ships Wheel (along with the Telegraph), are included in the Detail Up kit. Also included are Ship's bells, highly detailed Crow's Nest.Water Brake, Anchor Crane, Stream Anchor, Well Deck bulwarks and anchor chain beds.

It looks as though this thread has gone the way of the Dodo Bird. It is really a pity as the detail up kit will really make this model a terrific display when finished.
Good luck to all of you. Stay safe.
"Dress me up in me oilskins and jumper, no more on the dock's I'll be seen. Tell me old shipmates, I'm takin' a trip, mates.
I'll see you someday in Fiddler's Green..."

Moderator's hat on:

Three inappropriate messages have been removed. Any further personal commentary will result in the thread's being closed.

Moderator's hat off.

This popped up in my my youtube viewing list. Its pretty impressive IMO. Is it accurate that Titanics wing props rotated in opposite directions from each other when going ahead? Or are they showing one engine ahead and one astern? Hope this is the right spot for this as it is a model.

This popped up in my my youtube viewing list. Its pretty impressive IMO. Is it accurate that Titanics wing props rotated in opposite directions from each other when going ahead? Or are they showing one engine ahead and one astern? Hope this is the right spot for this as it is a model.

Yes and No.

By rotating in opposite directions, the ship's propellers would produce fewer vibrations at higher speeds due to a reduction in interfering propulsive waves, but by the time it would be noticeable, the center propeller would have been cut in, as it was run by less efficient turbine engine.

So, what they are demonstrating with that particular propeller configuration is the Titanic operating at high speed.

Yes and No.

By rotating in opposite directions, the ship's propellers would produce fewer vibrations at higher speeds due to a reduction in interfering propulsive waves, but by the time it would be noticeable, the center propeller would have been cut in, as it was run by less efficient turbine engine.

So, what they are demonstrating with that particular propeller configuration is the Titanic operating at high speed.
Thank you for the reply. Kind of like counter rotating props on a multi engine aircraft canceling out the P-factor. Although that's probably not a good analogy as those are different forces in play. Torque induced yaw not vibration. But the same end result is achieved, canceling of unwanted effects. I appreciate the explanation. Cheers.

Thank you for the reply. Kind of like counter rotating props on a multi engine aircraft canceling out the P-factor. Although that's probably not a good analogy as those are different forces in play. Torque induced yaw not vibration. But the same end result is achieved, canceling of unwanted effects. I appreciate the explanation. Cheers.
Exactly.

The aircraft analogy is actually a good one. Air and sea water are both fluids, so the basic principles of fluid mechanics would apply to both. The major difference is that Titanic would have been limited in pitch angle due to buoyancy issues. If you consider the primitive state that Aeronautics was still in around 1912 (it had really only been 9 years since Kitty Hawk), you can really look at Titanic like a dirigible aircraft (Hindenburg-class airships are, ironically, a prime example) and much of the same forces would apply.

Back