Unrecorded Passengers?

Arun Vajpey

Assuming that in 1912 there was the possibility of odd slip-up with transatlantic passenger manifests, is it likely that there were passengers on board the Titanic who did not appear in any of the post-disaster passenger lists? I am not talking about stowaways but genuine fare paying passengers who got on board in the last minute at Southampton, Cherbourg or Queenstown and so were not yet recorded on the main lists? If so, could one or two of those have even survived?

The shore manifest was perhaps not complete and there were mistakes in the survivor lists, particularly in the spelling of names. It would not be surprising if some people had slipped the net. The following survivors appeared in British and American newspapers over the years and yet none of them appear on the survivor list.

Newspaper reports:

1912 - Mr. Luis Klein - Titanic survivor says lookouts were asleep and officer was drunk.

1913 - Mr. Martin Moran - Titanic survivor is killed by a rush of coal at Natalie colliery.

1914 - Miss Anna Wood - Titanic survivor is examined and taken to Bellevue hospital.

1922 - Mr. Francis Jenkins - Titanic survivor dies of pnemonia. Suffered from nervous shock ever since the disaster. Mr. Jenkins was 31 years old.

1927 - Mr. Albert. V. Cowen of 841 Eighth Avenue - Charged with petit larceny. Judge suspended his sentence because he was a hero on the Titanic. His counsel told the court that Mr. Cowen had been a steward on the Titanic and saved lives in the disaster.

1948 - Mr. John. A. Rumpel - Dies at 105. He was a civil war veteran and Titanic survivor.

1961 - Mr. Logan - Austalian resident and Titanic survivor watches the film 'A Night to Remember'. (Video below).

Either the manifest was recorded inaccurately, or the proper one went down with the ship. Perhaps these people were not recorded on the Carpathia owing to the confusion among the Carpathia's own passengers and crew. Perhaps these people had just read about the Titanic and used the disaster as a means for publicity or sympathy. Trouble is which 'survivors' were telling the truth and did they produce any evidence that proved they were on the Titanic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming that in 1912 there was the possibility of odd slip-up with transatlantic passenger manifests, is it likely that there were passengers on board the Titanic who did not appear in any of the post-disaster passenger lists? I am not talking about stowaways but genuine fare paying passengers who got on board in the last minute at Southampton, Cherbourg or Queenstown and so were not yet recorded on the main lists? If so, could one or two of those have even survived?

Not very likely as they would be on list from Cherbourg and Queenstown.

Not very likely as they would be on list from Cherbourg and Queenstown.
Before departure from Southampton there was time but was there not the opportunity (especially with plenty of unfilled passenger spaces) that some passengers joined in the last minute at Cherbourg and especially Queenstown?

The passenger lists were legal documents and as such were as accurate as humanly possible. So were the US immigration records of survivors.

If all the people who have claimed to be on board had really been there, Titanic would have avoided disaster. She would have stuck firmly in the mud at Southampton. I have three phonies from Adelaide SA alone. All can be easily disproved. Many lies surround Titanic. Some years ago, on this forum, somebody announced the discovery of a stewardess from Californian. Then there was the reported death of the last last surviving Italian passenger. Something about the ship brings the bats from the belfry.

If all the people who have claimed to be on board had really been there, Titanic would have avoided disaster. She would have stuck firmly in the mud at Southampton. Something about the ship brings the bats from the belfry.
I have heard claims that Elvis Presley survived the Titanic as a baby. ;)

Before departure from Southampton there was time but was there not the opportunity (especially with plenty of unfilled passenger spaces) that some passengers joined in the last minute at Cherbourg and especially Queenstown?

They could but they would have to buy a ticket which would carry their name (and which would have been of course noted). Also they should then had to made sure to be in time to get aboard the tenders.

Was there a list with the names of passengers who had purchased tickets ? For example when you boarded , would your name have been checked against the list ?
I know the 1953 movie is a favorite of nit-pickers. But could have Richard Sturges (Clifton Webb) have purchased a ticket for himself at Cherbourg and/or just said he was joining his wife and children at the last moment and purchased a ticket for himself. Other wise, plenty of vacancies....No need to bribe the Uzcadums (spelling ?) LOL

Yes, they would have been checked with a list aboard (but difficult on a last minute booking I would say). Also (not sure if it was the same in 2nd class) the 1st class passengers choose their cabins/suites and if it was an inside or exterior (with porthole) cabin. So Pursers and Stewards would know who paid for what and was where. Mr. Sturges could have buy a ticket and might have got a empty cabins or suite next to his family. No need to separate the Uzcadums. LOL

Yes, they would have been checked with a list aboard (but difficult on a last minute booking I would say). Also (not sure if it was the same in 2nd class) the 1st class passengers choose their cabins/suites and if it was an inside or exterior (with porthole) cabin. So Pursers and Stewards would know who paid for what and was where. Mr. Sturges could have buy a ticket and might have got a empty cabins or suite next to his family. No need to separate the Uzcadums. LOL

Well.....He (Mr. Richard Ward Sturges) probably saved one life.....(Mr. Juan Pablo Uzcadum)......LOL

Last edited:
I would assume that every passenger of any class would have been assigned to a particular cabin number.

I remember that many years ago I had booked passage on RMS Queen Mary several months in advance and had been assigned to a certain cabin number on the conformation notice.
However, I changed plans and cancelled a month or so before tne sailing date.

Last edited:
Back