Was the forward funnel the only one to collapse

Quincy, the Washington Times printed this as a quotation back in 1912:

"We stood on the deck watching the lifeboats of the Titanic being filled and lowered into the water," said Williams. "The water was almost up to our waists and the ship was about at her last. Suddenly one of the great funnels fell. I sprang, endeavoring to pull my father with me. The funnel was swept overboard and my father's body went with it."

If that's accurate, then he certainly wasn't in the water at the time the funnel came down.

Bob. Thanks for relaying that quote by my grandfather. I have read a few contemporary quotes by him with some interesting bits he never mentions in his memoirs. At some point I am planning to collect these 1912 quotes to make an addendum to his memoirs. Maybe for the 100th anniversary. Not sure if it will be something worth publishing...

I will have to go back and read my grandfathers account as I may be wrong that they were on the starboard side. Its been awhile since I have read it.

There are gaps in my grandfathers account. It was written in the early 60s based on notes he wrote while aboard Carpathia. I have read in one book (letter to Gracie maybe?)that he stated not long after the sinking he saw the ship break in two but he never mentions this in his memoirs.

Bob have you read any mention of the ship rotating 180 degrees just before sinking. Could this be the stern section twisting while being carried down by the bow section after splitting in half?

Regarding the 'rotation' of the stern section, here's an abbreviated version of Jack Thayer's account of events as seen from his viewpoint in the water, forward and to starboard:

"Long and I had been standing by the starboard rail, about abreast of the second funnel ... I sat on the rail. I faced out, and with a push of my arms and hands, jumped into the water as far out from the ship as I could ... The ship was in front of me, forty yards away ... The water was over the base of the first funnel. The mass of people on board were surging back, always back towards the floating stern ... Suddenly the whole superstructure of the ship appeared to split, well forward to midship, and bow or buckle upwards. The second funnel ... seemed to be lifted off, emitting a cloud of sparks. It looked as if it would fall on top of me. It missed me by twenty or thirty feet. The suction of it drew me down and down, struggling and swimming, practically spent. As I finally came to the surface I put my hand over my head, in order to push away any obstruction. My hand came against something smooth and firm with rounded shape. I looked up, and realized that it was the cork fender of one of the collapsible lifeboats, which was floating in the water bottom side up ... Sitting on my haunches and holding on for dear life, I was again facing the Titanic

There was the gigantic mass, about fifty or sixty yards away. The forward motion had stopped. She was pivoting on a point just abaft of midship. Her stern was gradually rising into the air, seemingly in no hurry, just slowly and deliberately. We could see groups of the almost fifteen hundred people still aboard, clinging in clusters or bunches, like swarming bees; only to fall in masses, pairs or singly, as the great after part of the ship, two hundred and fifty feet of it, rose into the sky, till it reached a sixty-five or seventy degree angle. Here it seemed to pause, and just hung, for what felt like minutes. Gradually she turned her deck away from us, as though to hide from our sight the awful spectacle. Then, with the deadened noise of the bursting of her last few gallant bulkheads, she slid quietly away from us into the sea."

Compare that with The testimony of the Chief Baker, Charles Joughin, who remained on board the stern section right to the end. He described not a rotation in the sense of a change of heading, but rather a great increase in the list to port, sufficient to throw hundreds of people on the well deck off their feet. At that point he was able to maintain his footing only by holding onto the starboard rail and climbing over it to stand on the side of the ship. The greatly increased list to port would of course account for Thayer's observation that the stern "turned her deck away from us".

Quincy, you will be particularly interested in this comment from Thayer: "I afterwards heard from my friend, Richard Norris Williams, that his Father and mine were standing in a group consisting of Mr George D. Widener and his son Harry, together with some others. They were close in under the second funnel, which was very near to where Long and I were". That confirms that your Grandfather was on the starboard side. Thayer's account of the falling second funnel is more of a puzzle. According to Lightoller, it was only the first funnel that came down on the starboard side.

Dear Mr. Williams
I came across a brief interview with your grandfather. it has a small picture as well. This is from the 50th anniversary.
"I jumped. My arms and legs began to freeze. I made for the wreckage of a smashed lifeboat and hung on- I don't know how- for nine hours till rescue came. When I think about it now, and tell it, I wonder if it all really happened."

Best wishes
Mike Poirier

There was another thing we can be sure of - the Titanic ripped herself apart at the surface and the funnels being attached by gravity and supported in place by guide wires were jettisoned I think very likely at the surface.

In my mind's eye, I can see what Thayer described. It must have been a very frightening sight.

If the 1st funnel falls to the port, could there have been a list to port? And if the 2nd funnel falls to the starboard, could there have been a list to starboard?

And, would the funnels still be attached by their guide wires to the ship as she plunged to the bottom as shown in the recent documentary?

Michael: thanks for quoting that article about my grandfather. A keeper for my file.

Bob: interesting what Thayer and Lightoller said. I will have to read his account again as I do have the copy he gave to my grandfather. WEll at least we can confirm that my grandfather and his father were on the Starboard side. And now closer to the base of the second funnel than I thought. If indeed the first funnel fell to port then it must have been the second funnel. But Lightoller's account negates Thayers, or visa versa. The mystery continues.

Thanks to all for piping in on this subject.

I believe all 4 funnels fell at some point before the ship hit bottom. The first 2 I know fell before she completely sank, the 3rd one broke when the ship split in half. the 4th funnel may have fallen off underwater or when the ship hit the bottom.

Obviously the funnels fell off before the ship hit bottom. We have testimony that #1 and possible #2 fell off before the ship split. #3 had to collapse when the section of the ship under it broke apart, either at or just below the surface. We have an account (Dillon, I think) that #4 tipped back toward the stern, before it went under.

Back