What do you collect and why

Hi Laura,

quote:

"What I want to see is the very earliest film made about the ship; which, I believe was made in 1912, by Dorothy Gibson. It was called Survivors of the Titanic."

Actually, the film was titled "Saved from the Titanic".

Hi Mark,

quote:

"The Dorothy Gibson film actually does exist, although there aren't very many copies. Supposedly, it's the only movie she made that survived."

Unfortunately, no known copies of the film are believed to exist, as they were all destroyed in a fire in the studio where they were located. If one does happen to turn up, it would be incredible.

quote:

"Randy Bigham, a member here at this site, actually owns a copy."

No, he doesn't. Randy has viewed another film that starred Dorothy Gibson called "The Lucky Holdup", but I don't think he owns a copy.​

Really ? Well, I've just got that title from Judith Geller's Titanic: Women and Children First.

I didn't think any copies existed either, since the film is THAT ancient, sorry Mark. See THAT's why keep my stuff together, nice and neat, well, for the most part.
proud.gif

Jason,

My mistake. Sorry.

Laura,

>>Really ? Well, I've just got that title from Judith Geller's Titanic: Women and Children First.

I didn't think any copies existed either, since the film is THAT ancient, sorry Mark. See THAT's why keep my stuff together, nice and neat, well, for the most part.<<

No need to apologize to me. I'm the one who erred, hehe.

Well, keeping your stuff together is a good plan. Maybe you can have them placed by a window so that, should there be a fire (Heaven forbid), then you could easily put them out the window. Hopefully, nothing's breakable, hehe.

How is Judith Geller's book so far?

Jim,

>>I ordered the German film on DVD off the kino website- there is quite a bit of interesting films there too-I will have to go back to look for some Eisenstein- another of my favorites.
As for the quotation, Akiyama Saneyuki was a major strategist during the formative years of the Imperial Japanese Navy.
The quotation was a message reporting conditions from Admiral Togo's flagship Mikasa at the beginning of the battle of the Japan Sea (Tsushima Straits) and reads "Sky clear, but sea rough".<<

Thanks for the sources on the German movie. I'll check it out. kino.com?

I find W.W. II battles interesting, too. I have a few W. W. II battle documentaries on DVD.

As for the quote, thanks. Japanese is a fascinating language, but that is one I haven't had a chance to learn as of yet. The phrase sounds like a subtle prelude to disaster, which I presume is the point, ;) hehe.

Laura,

>>I'm from Hungary, but I'm actually more German genetically(75%) than Hungarian.<<

I presume that you speak German and Hungarian, too? How old were you when your family moved to the U.S.? If you were old enough to remember, I bet that it was an adventure for you.

>>Oh yes, this day IS long, and VERY cold. Came home from sledding, my feet were frozen, face red as it can be. Plus, thanks to my 150lbs. brother for jumping on us, crushing my spine as we were going downhill.<<

OUCH! That smarts! Well, you survived, hehe. You must be smaller than he is.

As for the cold, that's one thing that I will not miss when I move to California this summer, and then subsequently to Florida (and then Mexico or Spain, at whichever I decide to live. It'll be one of them). I am a tropical man myself and love being near the beach and in perpetual sunshine and warm weather.

Well, see now Mark, if I throw my belongings out the window, the possibilities of that is that it's gonna land on someone's head, or car, since I live on the fourth floor.

Too bad, I forot how to speak the language, but my parents are fluent in it, as well in Hungarian. But, I used to learn it in school, and loved it, hated English, though. Came here when I was 10, oh yes, adventure! First time crossing the ocean, I was souped, so was my brother. So in the airport we befriended a Greek kid, and we were unstoppabble, played hide and seek and tag, chased them to the men's restrooms...so we played for 9 hours, while waiting for the Boeing Lufthansa.

Yeah, I'm lighter then Trevor, I'm 115 lbs., underweight for my age and height, according to my doctor. (High metabolism.)

I love cold weather, like in Alaska, in the taiga,mountains, evergreens...that's life- since I grew up with it, but I like the hot weather too, especially the water.My family was to go to Florida for vacation this summer, but thanks for the hurricanes, maybe next summer.

The book is cool, my very favorite one.

>>Well, see now Mark, if I throw my belongings out the window, the possibilities of that is that it's gonna land on someone's head, or car, since I live on the fourth floor.<<

I was just kidding, Laura, lol. I would never suggest throwing anything out the window, unless it is absolutely necessary.

>>Came here when I was 10, oh yes, adventure!<<

What I mean is, was there much of a culture shock for you? Was it like: "Wow! This place is strange!"

>>Yeah, I'm lighter then Trevor, I'm 115 lbs., underweight for my age and height, according to my doctor. (High metabolism.)<<

Hey, I have a high metabolism, too! I can eat and eat and eat and not gain an ounce (well, not that much, anyway. I'm thin, but not at all lanky).

>>My family was to go to Florida for vacation this summer, but thanks for the hurricanes, maybe next summer.<<

I'm yearning for Florida, but not the hurricanes. It seems that you're a young woman for all seasons. ;)

>> can still speak Hungarian, we speak it at home, but not German, this is to make it clear.<<

Needless to say, you probably don't have a problem with non-English languages in school, ;) hehe.

Sorry, it appears as if we're digressing off the main point(s) of the thread. Don't want to do that. If you don't mind, Laura, we can continue through email. I'm fascinated by other cultures...

Again, sorry, all!

Mark, you've said EXACTLY what I had in mind-we're COMPLETELY changing the topic, and deep down, I feel bad about that, I really do. I recognize this thread does not revolve around me, but around the topic. I must apologize as well. You know, if you hadn't have said that, I was seriously considering saying it, because this was inappropriate for the discussion. That is why Monica changed the location of the thread too, I know.

I'm closing this:no, I don't, thankfully. Have a good ear for languages.

Ok, we can e-mail, my e-mail is [email protected] (Used to like baby Gosta Palsson of Third Class a lot back then.

Ok, to swing this thread back on track, I try and collect items that were made before it sank. Granted my budget is limited so I don't have a large number of items, but what I do have I think is a pretty nice collection. I have a few pre-sinking postcards (some advertising both ships), some advertisements for both the ships (while Titanic was still being built), a Jack Phillips written postcard, and a Capt. Smith signed New Year's card. Like I said, not a 'large' collection, but quite a rare one in my opinion.

Darren

Hi, I know this is an old posting, but thought I'd share what I have in ways of a collection. I have retrieved sunken artifacts from the Empress of Ireland and Andrea Doria. I have a nine foot length of wooden moulding that originally went around the First Class elevator of the Britannic. Menu's from the Lusitania, Aquitania, Mauretania, Olympic, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Andrea Doria, Normandie, and Transylvania. I have a china plate that was taken off the Lusitania by one of her officers months before she sank. I also have coal recovered from the Titanic, plus a small piece of wood that came from the wreckage that was picked up by the recovery ship Minia, as well as a piece of wood from the Olympic, and shipwreck coins from the early 1800's. My reason for collecting what I have is my way of reaching back into the past and having a personal touch with all these wonderful ships I've always studied and read about. I also collect alot of reproduction china that would have been used on the Titanic. I have a concert programme from the Majestic, and a passenger list from the Olympic. I really have all I need collection wise, but you always see stuff on e-bay that makes you just want to pull the old card out. I'd have to say my Lusitania china and my Britannic moulding are among my most favorite items as well as my silver coasters that were recovered from the Andrea Doria, and crystal dish and ceramic mould that was recovered from the Empress of Ireland. I have a friend who has an actual dinner plate that was removed from the Titanic before her maiden voyage, and has complete wall paneling from the Olympic. As I said, my collection is very sufficient for me. I'd love to hear others tell about their collections. Thanks.

All I have is a pretty large collection of books, models, and movies...the latest I've been lucky enough to aquire being 'In Night And Ice'. As far as anything really "good" i.e. pre-sinking postcards, ads, dishes, or anything of any TRUE value to a REAL collecter, I have nothing. Not because I don't want it, I just simply don't have the financial means. And when I see something on Ebay that says "authentic 1912" something or other, I just don't trust it to spend the $3-500 dollars they are usually wanting. I really just want to get my hands on 1 postcard that is pre-sinking. Or an invitation to the launch. If I can get just 1 of either of those things, I will consider my collection "complete" I guess you could say. I just want 1 thing from 1912 either from right before the disaster, or directly afterward. Oh well. One never knows what opportunities tomorrow will bring.
happy.gif
It's great to hear about all of your collections though! I'm so jealous! lol.

I'm like Matthew in the previous post as far as financial means: I have about 15 different books, about 20 different videos quite a few DVD's alot documentaries off the Discovery Channel about Titanic. 6 beanie titanic bears, an official "Rose" doll, all the official Titanic ornaments depicting James Cameron's movie licsensed by 20th Century Fox, a bell, a share of stock, some postcards but before you get excited all replicas not originals. About 6 cd's, a bank, a key chain, some pins, the pattern for 2 of Rose's dresses, replica of the necklace, 2 models,
2 newspapers, a lot of pictures I pulled off the internet ( almost 400 ) my favorites is any involving the construction of the ship, and landmarks in Ireland where Harland & Wolff was and where Titanic was built . . .someone had taken several nice pics of key landmarks that I found on line, also of course Father Browne's pics he took on the ship itself before he departed in Queenstown ( I think ) that's all online - you don't have to buy the book although it would be nice to have. I also seen pictures of some of the bodies the Mackay Bennett supposedly pulled out of the water and brought back for burial - I don't know if they are authentic though - I question it - as those would have been rather rare and I would think considered poor taste back in that time. Is there a way I can upload some pictures to this site so all of you can look at them and tell me of the authenticity of them? I would send you the links but I don't have them as I didn't make a not of them when I was there I just clicked and saved all the pictures they would allow me to. Thankfully, I have a good up to date anti-virus and a good firewall protection. Before I forget to mention even though about 1/4 of my collection is on James Cameron's movie I treasure those too - I was waiting for somebody to yell we are talking about the real thing & not the movie - so I thought I would clarify right away.

Hello Teresa,

quote:

Is there a way I can upload some pictures to this site so all of you can look at them and tell me of the authenticity of them?

Yep, just click on "Insert Image / Document" below to upload images and follow the steps. If it's an oversized image, click on "Upload Oversize Image".​

Back