What other items were not installed

I was reading the thread "Who Complained" and wondered what other items were not installed on the Titanic?

A lot of people have told me that the table lamps for the Dining Saloon were not installed.

Other items included railings to exterior walls. Did Olympic have missing things on her as well before her maiden voyage?

As Daniel mentioned some furniture was not installed. Which room was this furniture intended to be in?

What else was not installed?

Regards

Nigel

Those mentioned items above that were not added are also shown in photographic archives, note "Titanic and her Sisters". I also corresponded with Eric Sauder, Parks Stephenson and others who clarified about the not installed table lamps. Note the thread "1st-class Dining Saloon-Some questions"

NB

Nigel,
I have looked at that April 11th picture of the Titanic's dining room and for the life of me, I just cannot pick out any table lamps.

In the book, Titanic Voices, a person assisting in Titanic's outfitting said the clockface for the forward grand staircase was not ready by the time the Titanic left Belfast and a circular mirror was fitted in its place until the clock could be installed. It never said further that the clock was/wasn't installed, but I would certainly surmise that the centerpiece of the GSC was in place by the time Titanic sailed one week later.

I have also heard of trivial things here and there, such as the railings outside the gym, etc.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to shed light on the matter.

Regards,
Dan

James,

Your post is interesting. Do you mean the Captain's table, the one in the Dining Saloon? On the Titanic plans it cleary shows the table arrangments and in a another thread "Life Onboard" there are eyewitness accounts from passengers of the Captain sitting at the captain's table, which was a six seater and was located in the forward end, near the oak buffet cabinet in the Dining Saloon.

What would they do with such a large space if the table was missing. The would have bolt marks, and the pinions for the chairs sticking up everwhere from the floor.

Best,

Nigel

The Captain's table is the one that should have been in his cabin. It was made by Gilbert Logan, he made quite a few other items for Titanic.
In 1920 he left H&W and started his own business and it's still a very successful firm.
They make and sell copies of Titanic furniture to the same standard as Gilbert Logan, but they are expensive.

Eric,
The table is W: 147(cm), H: 76(cm), D: 320(cm)
It can be reduced to 196 cm by turning the brass handle. I'll be over home next week and I can pop into the Harbour Office and take a photo of it.

Back