Who has been on a cruise

Peter,

Check www.cruisecritic.com and www.cruisemates.com. I think you'll find they have everything you're looking for.
happy.gif

-John

>>The most basic thing is to attend the muster drill, and know how to get from any place on the ship to their muster station.<<

VERY wise counsel, that.

>>Some people look at this as waste of time, or being beneath them.<<

They would be wise to get over it. There isn't a ship I've served on I couldn't get out of if I had to and that's because I took the time and trouble to get to know as much of her as I could. In all likelihood, you'll never need to use that knowladge, but if things do go to hell, it'll be a lifesaver.

Hi Kyle,

I haven't had time to post these last few days. I want to clarify that I do not consider people of non-US nationality to be inferior seamen as any general rule. I hope you didn't think this and that I have not offended you.

In the shipping world in general, FOC vessels still have a poorer safety record than those flying the US flag. Of course there are many other nations with a long and honorable seafaring tradition. Norway and Britain come to mind and there are certainly others with a reputation for quality. Then there are other countries, Greece and Liberia being two examples, that tend to have a certain reputation for lax standards and as such, they generally warrant a little extra effort on the part of the CG.

Unfortunately, in the ocean going business, the dollar rules and companies will squeeze anything they can to increase profit in an industry where the profit margin can be relatively small. This, of course, holds true for just about any business you can think of. Some more than others, of course.

While many vessel owners do play by the rules, there are and will always be those who try to cheat. Rules are perhaps better enforced among passenger vessels but this does not by any means prove that corners are never cut.

As for the CG, yes, the do inspect the ships that enter US waters, citing violations where found. They do not, unfortunately, travel on those vessels as a regular part of their duties. This is in part because once a vessel is out of US waters, the CG has no jurisdiction. I whish they could do this as I think it would go a long way toward instilling some conscience in those who wish to cut corners. Alas, the CG budget is always threatened with being cut while their responsibilities grow. Were I a member of the CG, I would LOVE to have taking constant cruises as my duty assignment! Given the other options, who wouldn't? Sort of like being in the Navy and being assigned for a tour of duty on the USS Constitution.

I am not surprised that the US flagged vessels left in the trade do not get high marks in customer satisfaction. By flying the US flag, they are bound by a whole host of regulations that an FOC vessel does not have to abide by. This should insure the highest quality in safety and ship ops but also makes the ships more costly to run. Something has to be cut somewhere to turn a profit and it is not at all surprising that passenger comfort and luxury are where the cuts are made.

I do agree with you and with the other members here that anyone going on a cruise should take the time to learn the different routes to the deck when they come on board; that they should acquaint themselves with all of the relevant safety equipment; know where to muster and to which lifeboat they are assigned; and that they should participate in drills. Those who consider themselves to be above this must also be deluded into thinking they are above dying.

I continue my concern over crime on ships simply because we have no way to run the type of criminal background check on many of the nationalities serving on board cruise ships that we do on the US citizens doing so. Our own background investigations are by no means foolproof but at least they are run. It is a given that as a woman, I am highly conscious of my potential to become a victim of crime and so I do think about these things. I blame no nationality in particular as being more likely to commit a crime, just for the record. I have also been witness to, as well as subjected to, some rather bizarre, shocking, and shady behavior while working offshore. From both US and non US personnel. There was no great harm done to me and in the end, it makes for some great stories.

I am sure the passengers are responsible for acts of crime on these vessels as well, in many forms. I can not say which group would concern me more, cruise employees or passengers, as I am generally wary of anyone I don't know very well! I grew up in a city and that's just part of the experience.

I also agree that many of the high profile incidents which have been publicized lately most likely involve a great deal of alcohol and foolish behavior. You can talk safety until you are blue in the face but there will always be at least one idiot who may end up paying for doing something incredibly stupid. Climbing up on a rail is high on the list.

While I respect and understand your opinion, I still maintain that safety on FOC vessels is and should be of concern. As I stated in my earlier post, I would definitely not let this prevent me from taking and enjoying a cruise. Several of them if my financial fortune ever goes that way! Based on my own seagoing experience, I would simply pay close attention to the details that any intelligent traveler should notice. I might notice a bit more having worked offshore but that in no way makes me superior to any of my fellow passengers. A bit more paranoid perhaps but not a better person.
happy.gif

Respectfully Yours,

Kammy

Mmmm, I don't think I could go without cocktails on deck and a bottle of wine with dinner every night! And I would really miss playing beer quoits!

>>The most basic thing is to attend the muster drill, and know how to get from any place on the ship to their muster station.<<

What happens during the drill depends on the cruise line.

Some just get you to go to public lounge and hear / see a demonstration. Others - not always the most expensive lines - get staff to check cabins to see if anyone is skipping the drill, and after the demo., they take you to your designated lifeboat and do a role call of names.

If one is say on a world cruise - they are normally divided into legs - so passengers are joining and leaving very often, so drills maybe held every 7 days or so. What tends to happen is that the passengers stop going to the drills after the first couple.

We had been to 4 drills in row and I ignored the call to "muster" and stayed in my cabin reading, but a vigilant member of the crew spotted me - I said "Will it be ok for me to stay here?" - to my astonishment they said "I will have to check with Captain".

As one of Golden rules on any cruise is "Do not get on the wrong side of the Captain", I abandoned my book and went to the drill.

As whether I went to the next drill - that's my secret, but if I am ever asked I will reply "Yes - always Captain!".

Back