Who is most responsible for the sinking of the Titanic?

I have wondered about that, because like you see in the 1997 film, surely the force of hitting the first compartment would have sheared off the chunk of protruding ice off the berg and the other compartments would have been okay.

Then again if the Titanic had turned into the berg, would't the damage have been really severe as the impact tore open major holes / large dents instead?

I think in that case it would depend on the shape of the underwater shelf of ice, which for certain we will never know. The very forward portion of Titanic's bow had an upward slope, so maybe the initial contact was relatively soft, as both the bow and ice could have been wedge shaped. The damage very well could have been done, as Parks Stephenson suggested, by a racking stress.

Miichael -
One of the many things I like about this website is that there are those, such as yourself, who have had a lot of experience in a lot of nautical subjects to set those of us straight who haven't . We may have been in the navy, but we may have been in such a specialized "Specialty Rating" that we were totally ignorant about a lot of these nauticals terms and subjects of discussion on these forums, That is the reason some of our comments may look a bit stupid or foolish to you.

In this subject, I would just base my opinion that the question is problematical whether more persons would have been saved if there had been more lifeboats would have also depended on how many trained persons there were to load those lifeboats, in particular if they were expert enough to know just the maximum number of persons who could have been loaded in each lifeboat......Just basing this on what I have read so far.
Good post. First...I was in the Navy but I was a brown shoe. According to my dad who was a U.S. Navy gunner on liberty ships during the big one being on an aircraft carrier like I was didn't even count as sea duty...LOL. Second...it has been argued that more life boats on the Titanic might have made it even more difficult to launch the boats because of the way they would have been placed and using the davits. You always have situations like Lusitania and The Empress of Ireland where it didn't matter how many boats you had. I would vote for more boats just on the outside chance you might get to use them. There's a segment on this on the Titanic Channel by Parks Stephenson that covers this. Its pretty good.

Situational awareness is the perception of environmental elements and events with respect to time or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status after some variable has changed, such as time, or some other variable, such as a predetermined event.

It is also a field of study concerned with understanding of the environment which is critical to decision-makers in complex, dynamic areas such as ship navigation.

Situation awareness involves being aware of what is happening in the vicinity to understand how information, events, and one's own actions will impact goals and objectives, both immediately and in the near future. One with an adept sense of situation awareness generally has a high degree of knowledge with respect to inputs and outputs of a system, an innate "feel" for situations, people, and events that play out because of variables the subject can control. Lacking or inadequate situation awareness has been identified as one of the primary factors in accidents attributed to human error. Thus, situation awareness is especially important in work environments where the information flow can be quite high and poor decisions may lead to serious consequences.

The formal definition of Situation awareness is broken down into three segments:
1. Perception of the elements in the environment
2. Comprehension of the situation
3. Projection of future status.

1. Perception of the elements in the environment and 2. Comprehension of the situation:

Iceberg Season; The April Iceberg Season was well known to all officers.

Ice message; Ice messages provide vital information of the utmost importance. These messages shall be ordered by the Master to be treated in priority over passenger’s traffic.

Approach of the Labrador Current; Pilot Books and Pilot Charts clearly indicate the position of the Labrador Current. The drop in temperature was a good indicator of its presence.

Sea state; Sea of oil, without waves or swell prevents the sea from breaking against an ice field edge or at the base of a growler or iceberg. It so deprives an observer of perceiving the sea breaker photoluminescence during nighttime.

Moonless; A moonless night significantly lowers the luminous flux and its refraction on the ice. Visibility is reduced by darkness.

Falling air and seawater temperature; One can expect to encounter an ice field in the region of the Labrador Current when there is a significant drop in air temperature subsequent to sea water cooling.

Unusual refraction; Could have suggested that the ice would be perceived at a distance different than usual.

Routine Navigation Watch; No real additional activity was conducted that would have suggested the seriousness of approaching suspected ice infested waters, like for instance, the constant presence of the Master on the navigation bridge.

Lookouts without glasses; Ensuring that the crow’s nest was outfitted with glasses would have motivated the lookouts to pay more attention to the situation.

Night; Fatigue trigger by night shift decreases alertness and concentration.

Cold; Chill contributes to eyes water leading to impair vision. Fighting cold causes shivering, fatigue, loss of concentration and space-time consciousness to the extent of mental confusion.

Vessel’s Speed; A 21½kts pace was considerable for the time, compared to the average speed of say a dozen knots. At 21½kts, the reaction time is greatly reduced but a flotsam will still not be more visible than at 12 kts.

Lifeboats; The fact was known that the lifeboats capacity was insufficient

3. Projection of future status:

A collision against an iceberg at 22½kts, during a dead calm moonless night, on board a brand new passenger vessel carrying insufficient lifeboats capacity, could lead to disastrous human, financial and reputation consequences.

If my calculations are good, reducing speed from 22½kts to 15½kts (Half Ahead / 50RPM / Turbine Engaged) between 20h00 and 05h00, would require an average speed of less than 22¾kts to arrive New York before expected time...

Note:

Escalation of commitment is a human behavior pattern in which an individual facing increasingly negative outcome from the environment nevertheless continues the same behavior rather than alter course.

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. People tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position.

Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

I find the analysis very detailed especially about how the human factor plays a role in the disaster. I really don’t think anyone specific should be up to blame for the collision because anyone on duty are likely to be affected by these factors as they are all human.

Last edited:
Back