Why did Mrs Allison panic?

May I respond? The man did not want to be awakened, he said as much several times. Some of us who enjoy ardent spirits while at sea sometimes over indulge. Take the fact that Hudson didn't not finally get out of bed much later than most (if not all) first class family heads (meaning a man with children) one would assume he was very tired. I think a lot of people here can speak to traveling on cruises where excitement and booze flows more freely. If he was to drink too much, who cares? We have too much of a prudish society these days. The mistake in this whole story lays with the maid who gave Ms. Allison booze to calm her down (supporting my theory that the Allison's loved their alcohol) and then she (Alice Cleaver) bolted with Trevor to a lifeboats, leaving the others in confusion.
I never heard any of these claims to be frank. Could you supply your sources in support of this theory?

As for 'drunk first class passengers', there is only one confirmed case. This being Walter Miller Clark (1884-1912), who based on family stories was an alcoholic and the story goes in the family of his wife that he was drunk on the night of the sinking. Clark at the time of the collision was an observer between a card game between Howard B. Case and the three professional gamblers, the later three likely thought if Case would drop out that Clark would take his spot.

May I respond? The man did not want to be awakened, he said as much several times. Some of us who enjoy ardent spirits while at sea sometimes over indulge. Take the fact that Hudson didn't not finally get out of bed much later than most (if not all) first class family heads (meaning a man with children) one would assume he was very tired. I think a lot of people here can speak to traveling on cruises where excitement and booze flows more freely. If he was to drink too much, who cares? We have too much of a prudish society these days. The mistake in this whole story lays with the maid who gave Ms. Allison booze to calm her down (supporting my theory that the Allison's loved their alcohol) and then she (Alice Cleaver) bolted with Trevor to a lifeboats, leaving the others in confusion. In my mind Alice Cleaver (the real one, not Don Lynch's crazy substitute, it amazes me how he is treated with so much respect, he also helped the Captain Smith being in shock legend) (Alice Cleaver) should have been arrested
Ron, a gentle word in your shell if I may...

"I think this happened - therefore it did !" does not constitute proof for your argument. Charles Pellgrino and the late Robin Gardiner used that rule of thumb and we know how they are regarded in the Titanic community.

Please, could you provide some actual sources ? I have never come across any reference whatsoever to Mr and Mrs Allison being heavy drinkers and am extremely sceptical of your argument to put it mildly.

Alice Cleaver "should have been arrested". What British law of 1912 did she break then ? She was no "villain".

And a word about Don Lynch whom you reference.

The reason he's treated with respect is that he (and his pal George Behe) did a great job during the eighties and nineties interviewing the last survivors with actual memories of the event and presenting new viewpoints to the whole story. Yes, it's true he did unfortunately drop the ball with regard to Alice Cleaver's identity which he has since acknowledged was wrong, and his theory about Captain Smith suffering a mental collapse is today not accepted by the majority of serious researchers but his positive contributions to the field greatly outweigh the mistakes he has made.

White it is possible that Hudson Allison had some wine with dinner, there is absolutely no survivor statement from either Alice Cleaver or Sarah Daniels that he was inebriated. The Allisons were devout Methodists - they taught Sunday school, Bible Classes, and Hudson often served as a lay preacher. That and travelling with a wife and 2 small children, I doubt very much if he would have been drunk.

It's all baseless, nonsensical accusation.

Alice Cleaver bolted with Trevor to a lifeboats, leaving the others in confusion
Alice Cleaver did nothing of the kind. After collecting baby Trevor - for whom she had specific responsibility - she went down to her colleagues in Second Class and woke up the cook Amelia Brown, who appears to have remained with Alice thereafter. Despite her anxiety, Colonel Gracie and Major Peuchen mentioned seeing Bess Allison get into Lifeboat #6 with Loraine, only to get out again; likewise, Sarah Daniles was very likely rescued on Lifeboat #8; both those lifeboats were on the water just after 1:10am. Alice Cleaver, Trevor Allison and Amelia Brown on the other hand, only managed to reach Lifeboat #11, which was launched around 01:30am. That's clear evidence that Alice Cleaver neither "bolted" or left anyone in confusion.

Yes, it's true he did unfortunately drop the ball with regard to Alice Cleaver's identity which he has since acknowledged was wrong
Thanks for that Seumas. May I ask where and when Don Lynch acknowledged his mistake about Alice Cleaver? One of my grouses against him is that he had not done so, not even when Alice's descendants contact him to point out his error. But if he did so since then, I'll be one of those pleased.

And what about Judith Geller? She has posted even more speculative and ridiculous nonsense about Alice Cleaver in her book Women And Children First. In my opinion Geller has more reason to apologize.

Thanks for that Seumas. May I ask where and when Don Lynch acknowledged his mistake about Alice Cleaver? One of my grouses against him is that he had not done so, not even when Alice's descendants contact him to point out his error. But if he did so since then, I'll be one of those pleased.

And what about Judith Geller? She has posted even more speculative and ridiculous nonsense about Alice Cleaver in her book Women And Children First. In my opinion Geller has more reason to apologize.
I should have posted more accurately that Lynch has freely acknowledged to other people in the Titanic community that he badly screwed up his research regarding Alice Cleaver but alas I'm not aware of a printed acknowledgement. I do very much agree with you that he should have issued a formal printed apology and reached out to Alice Cleaver's descendants.

Judith Geller on the other hand, I have no idea if she has acknowledged her errors or revised her opinions.

It wasn't the only identity confusion to befall Alice Cleaver either as a result of some slapdash research !

Apparently during the nineties and early noughties a number of sources falsely stated that upon disembarking the Carpathia and being relieved of her responsibilities toward young Trevor, Alice Cleaver decided to remain in the USA, made a new life for herself in Ohio and eventually died there. What some well-meaning but over eager researchers had actually done was confused her with an Ohio woman of the exact same name.

The problem is that the tabloid press really went to town during the weeks and months following the Titanic disaster and made-up stories often based on irresponsible conglomeration and their own embellishments of several survival accounts for sensationalism. In those days and for many decades thereafter there were none or very few modes of verification of such stories and so over time, many of those were accepted as 'facts' by most except really professionally minded researchers. That's why we tend to get the sort of baseless nonsense that appeared in this thread yesterday when it was renewed.

I do wonder why Alice Cleaver did not also have charge of the other child, two-year-old Lorraine. If she had, little Lorraine would have survived, and probably Mrs Allison, as well. Mr and Mrs Allison simply didn't know what happened to Alice or Trevor and they stayed onboard the sinking Titanic searching for their "missing" baby.
I took this quote from a recent post in another thread because I felt that the point that I am making in relation to it would be better in this one.

First of all, Alice Cleaver was an experienced professional baby nurse who had worked for rich and influential families since her teens in that capacity. Hudson Allison, a devout family man, would certainly have checked her background very thoroughly before hiring her and giving her the sole charge of his baby son Trevor Allison, the traditioinal heir to the family fortune. Trevor was Alice Cleaver's specific and only responsibility and she had none other than the nomal adult to child concern over Loraine Allison. And contrary to some reports, Sarah Daniels had no responsibility over Loraine either - Daniels was Bess Allison's personal maid.

After the collision and when the seriousness of the situation started to become clear, Alice Cleaver first collected Trevor Allsion as she ought to have done and alerted Hudson and Bess about the likely danger. Although Bess was apparently rather panicky, she appears to have heeded to the warning because along with little Loraine in tow, Bess made her way to the boat deck and they found places in Lifeboat #6 on the port side. The important point here is that both Hudson and Bess knew at that stage that Trevor was safe with Alice and as a single woman and a baby, they would be prioritised on any lifeboat.

Alice Cleaver meanwhile, very likely with Trevor in her arms, descended to the Second Class section where her colleagues Chauffeur George Swane and cook Mildred "Amelia" Brown were berthed and warned them about the situation. Miss Brown was reportedly a very heavy sleeper and it took some effort to rouse her and get her ready. The fate of Swane is uncertain but Alice, Trevor and Mildred eventually found places on Lifeboat #11.

It must be noted that Sarah Daniels, Bess' maid, was the first of the entourage to have left the sinking ship on Lifeboat #8.

Primary accounts from Major Peuchen (who was also saved on Lifeboat #6 when he was commandeered to help the crew) strongly indicate that Bess and Loraine Allison were actually sitting in Lifeboat #6 when the former realized that her husband Hudson was not going to be allowed in, as per the women and children only policy on the port side. She got out of the boat dragging Loraine with her and presumably joined her husband on the deck. Statements from Peuchen and Gracie both suggest that she was adament about not leaving her husband behind and NOT, as may later press reports suggested, looking for baby Trevor. It looks like the three of them - Hudson, Bess and Loraine - remained on the port side and went down with the ship.

Now let us consider a hypothetical scenario on what could have happened if Bess and Loraine had remained on board Lifeboat #6. They would have been saved of course, as would have Alice, Trevor and Mildred on #11. I do not want to get into the somewhat different opinions about launch times, but no one would argue with the blanket fact that Lifeboat #6 was launched over an hour before the final plunge of the Titanic. That would have left Hudson Allison either on his own or, more likely, with George Swane the chauffeur. While we cannot be certain, there is at least a chance that the men, now relieved of their family reponsibilities and knowing that there would be no place for them on the port side, might have crossed over the starboard side to check their chances there. Had they done so, there is certainly a good chance that one or both of them would have found places in one of the starboard aft boats on which a lot of men were saved.

My point in posting this is to point out that if anyone wants to blame someone for Loraine Allison's death, the answer is obvious and it certainly was NOT poor Alice Cleaver.

I never heard any of these claims to be frank. Could you supply your sources in support of this theory?

As for 'drunk first class passengers', there is only one confirmed case. This being Walter Miller Clark (1884-1912), who based on family stories was an alcoholic and the story goes in the family of his wife that he was drunk on the night of the sinking. Clark at the time of the collision was an observer between a card game between Howard B Case and the three professional gamblers, the later three likely thought if Case would drop out that Clark would take his spot.

As for 'drunk first class passengers', there is only one confirmed case. This being Walter Miller Clark (1884-1912), who based on family stories was an alcoholic and the story goes in the family of his wife that he was drunk on the night of the sinking. Clark at the time of the collision was an observer between a card game between Howard B Case and the three professional gamblers, the later three likely thought if Case would drop out that Clark would take his spot.

Hey Arun, re drunk individuals...
I thought it was documented that the ship's Baker deliberately drank heavily when found out Titanic was in peril? Or is the baker story just titanic folklore?
He ended up on the stern railing, but survived due the freezing water due to high blood alcohol level. Then pulled into a returning lifeboat.
When first went to watch Cameron's movie i was wondering if the baker would be added in, which he was... hip flask included.

I thought it was documented that the ship's Baker deliberately drank heavily when found out Titanic was in peril? Or is the baker story just titanic folklore?
He ended up on the stern railing, but survived due the freezing water due to high blood alcohol level. Then pulled into a returning lifeboat.
When first went to watch Cameron's movie i was wondering if the baker would be added in, which he was... hip flask included.
It's most certainly folklore. Joughin was not drunk or even tipsy.

Furthermore, Arun (who is a retired physician) can explain you much better than I can why drinking copious amounts of alcohol and going into freezing water is absolutely not a good idea.

Furthermore, Arun (who is a retired physician) can explain you much better than I can why drinking copious amounts of alcohol and going into freezing water is absolutely not a good idea.

I always wondered whether the story and the high alcohol claim was just toi-toi's
Personally i don't drink, but even if i did it would be to my mind a super dumb thing to do, one would want to be at full wits in a time like that

The story that Joughin was "drunk" is very likely part of Titanic folklore, one of the countless newspaper embellishments or outright lies of the kind that was bread and butter to reporters in those days.

As Seumas said, a high blood alcohol level is a certain way of accelerating hypothermia and death under freezing conditions. The feeling of "warmth" caused by a sip or two of brandy for example, is due to dilatation of the skin blood vessels and additional flow of warm blood there. But in doing so under cold conditions, blood is diverted away from vital organs like heart, brain, kidneys etc thus making the risk of fatal hypothermia much greater.

The story that Joughin was "drunk" is very likely part of Titanic folklore, one of the countless newspaper embellishments or outright lies of the kind that was bread and butter to reporters in those days.

As Seumas said, a high blood alcohol level is a certain way of accelerating hypothermia and death under freezing conditions. The feeling of "warmth" caused by a sip or two of brandy for example, is due to dilatation of the skin blood vessels and additional flow of warm blood there. But in doing so under cold conditions, blood is diverted away from vital organs like heart, brain, kidneys etc thus making the risk of fatal hypothermia much greater.

Hi, I heard, that Thomas " Paddy" Dillon, the surviving crew member, was drunk likewise, while surviving. Is this statement true ?

To all,

The story of Charles Joughin being drunk is not an absolute fabrication. The level of his intoxication, however, is subject to debate and will never be known with any degree of certainty. I only believe Joughin exaggerated the amount of time he spent in the water but who was counting minutes in a fight for survival? It must have seemed like an eternity to him in those frigid waters. I'm sure he wasn't checking his watch as he struggled for life immediately after stepping off the stern.

I know several of his descendants who live within miles of my home and ALL have told me the story of how Joughin (pronounced "Jockin") was drinking during the sinking. He even told his great-niece that he sat in his cabin an hour before the sinking and had a few drinks contemplating his fate. He and some of his fellow shipmates had made a makeshift distillery in an area of the ship where they all usually imbibed during their off-duty hours. It was an open secret. He told Walter Lord the same thing during their correspondence during the 1950s. Walter Lord even told me of some of the conservations he had with Joughin in 1955 when I visited Walter's apartment in 1996. Sadly, Joughin had died by the time A NIGHT TO REMEMBER film was released in 1958. In Joughin's own testimony before the British Inquiry, he indicated that he had been drinking prior to his heading to the boat deck for the final time. His family wonders what he would have thought of his visual portrayal in all of the Titanic films. He was able to read Walter Lord's book the year before he died and wrote to Walter that everything that he been written about him was true and thanked Walter for including his entire story within one chapter of the book.

I seldom post to this forum anymore but couldn't resist clarifying points that I believe to be true regarding Joughin's survival. One contributor a few years back made the declaration that Joughin had never even made it to collapsible B but rather had left in a regular lifeboat (I believe #10). That person seemed to forget that fellow crew member Maynard confirmed that he held onto Joughin's hand as he clung to collapsible B after the Titanic sank.

The films that depicted Joughin 's level of intoxication were somewhat overdramatized, in my opinion. However, I find it difficult to understand why some researchers dismiss some accounts and act as the final arbiters of someone's testimony when none of them of them were even there. So many have been 'experts" following the 1997 film and from research done by the computers. Theories are one thing and can be discussed but ironclad dismissals are not. Out of Joughin's own mouth came the declaration that he had been drinking that night, and he told his family that he had done so. He was always known in the family as a "drinker" even in his later years. He told his family that while he had been drinking, he was still able to save himself which might suggest he was only slightly "tipsy" rather than "stone cold drunk." Even if he lied to the inquiry, what objective did he have to relate the same details to his family? Many researchers also claim that he came out of the water unscathed when the fact is that both of his feet and lower legs suffered from extreme frostbite. He somehow recovered but always suffered from the effects of his immersion in the water in the last years of his life where he had difficulty walking without the aid of a cane.

As an aside, I am one of the directors of Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Paterson, New Jersey where Charles Joughin was laid to his final rest in 1956. We also have three Carpathia passengers who were present during the rescue also within our cemetery, as well as two Morro Castle survivors. Despite having a Vice-President of the United States, in addition to a former U.S. Attorney-General and several New Jersey governors also buried in our cemetery, the number one grave that more visitors come into our office to inquire about is Charles Joughin! Jougin's grave is always well tended and flowers and other poignant momentos are left by complete strangers honoring his memory and remarkable survival of the sinking. I think he would be pleased and proud that future generations would remember him so affectionately.

These are just my two cents since I happen to much more familiar with Joughin's story since he was one of our local survivors and his family have been so kind in relating stories and sharing information on this extraordinary man.

Arun Vajpey - as an aside, I recently came across some correspondence from the late Persus McMillan, the granddaughter and niece of Percival and Richard White. I remember you had expressed interest in these two gentlemen and I had accumulated a huge pile of information and photos when I visited Winchendon Springs, MA several years ago. If you are still interested, I would be happy to share whatever I find in the White file.

Best regards to all.

M

The true story is that Hudson had A LOT to drink that night and didn't want to be woken up. It's happened to the best of us. The man did not want to be awakened, he said as much several times. Some of us who enjoy ardent spirits while at sea sometimes over indulge. Take the fact that Hudson didn't not finally get out of bed much later than most (if not all) first class family heads (meaning a man with children) one would assume he was very tired. I think a lot of people here can speak to traveling on cruises where excitement and booze flows more freely. If he was to drink too much, who cares? We have too much of a prudish society these days. The mistake in this whole story lays with the maid who gave Ms. Allison booze to calm her down (supporting my theory that the Allison's loved their alcohol) and then she (Alice Cleaver) bolted with Trevor to a lifeboats, leaving the others in confusion.
It is this kind of nonsense that triggers stories about who was drunk that night and so was responsible for the deaths of themselves, their family or even the entire ship. People accused of being inebriated have included Murdoch, Hudson Allison, Charles Joughin, Paddy Dillon and God knows who else. With Murdoch, the accusation was nothing short of blasphemy of course, but even with the others, there is no evidence that they were in any way incapacitated. And how someone can generalize their own tendency to "over indulge" while at sea to everyone else is beyond me.

Specifically with Hudson Allison, the poster makes a blanket statement that he had "a lot to drink" and said "several times" that he did not want to be woken up. The poster also claims that Alice Cleaver gave Bess Allison booze to calm her down - as if he was a fly on the wall monitoring all that. Anyone can see that such 'assertions' amount to little more than speculative nonsense. Hudson Allison was a devout Methodist, Sunday School Teacher, occasional Lay Preacher and a very responsible family man travelling with his wife and 2 small children. Somehow, I cannot see such a man being incapacitated with drink on a Sunday to the point that he could not be woken up.

From what Alice Cleaver and even Sarah Daniels said, Hudson was at first somewhat reluctant to believe that the Titanic was in any danger, something that applied to a lot of passengers and even crew members in the early stages of the sinking. But on Alice's urgng, he did go out to investigate and by then the nervous Bess Allison might have been very anxious considering the situation. But panicky or otherwise, Bess did take Loraine and get to the boat deck and according to Major Peuchen was actually sitting inside Lifeboat #6 before leaving it just before lowering when she realized that her husband would not be allowed too. Peuchen was also very clear in his statements that the panicking Bess Allison was searching for her husband Hudson and never said anything about her being worried about Alice and Tervor; the press made that up.

"Mrs Allison could have gotten away in perfect safety," Major Arthur Peuchen told the Montreal Daily Star "But somebody told her Mr Allison was in a boat being lowered on the opposite side of the deck, and with her little daughter she rushed away from the boat. Apparently she reached the other side to find that Mr Allison was not there. Meanwhile, our boat [Lifeboat 6] had put off."

Last edited:
It is this kind of nonsense that triggers stories about who was drunk that night and so was responsible for the deaths of themselves, their family or even the entire ship. People accused of being inebriated have included Murdoch, Hudson Allison, Charles Joughin, Paddy Dillon and God knows who else. With Murdoch, the accusation was nothing short of blasphemy of course, but even with the others, there is no evidence that they were in any way incapacitated. And how someone can generalize their own tendency to "over indulge" while at sea to everyone else is beyond me.

Specifically with Hudson Allison, the poster makes a blanket statement that he had "a lot to drink" and said "several times" that he did not want to be woken up. The poster also claims that Alice Cleaver gave Bess Allison booze to calm her down - as if he was a fly on the wall monitoring all that. Anyone can see that such 'assertions' amount to little more than speculative nonsense. Hudson Allison was a devout Methodist, Sunday School Teacher, occasional Lay Preacher and a very responsible family man travelling with his wife and 2 small children. Somehow, I cannot see such a man being incapacitated with drink on a Sunday to the point that he could not be woken up.

From what Alice Cleaver and even Sarah Daniels said, Hudson was at first somewhat reluctant to believe that the Titanic was in any danger, something that applied to a lot of passengers and even crew members in the early stages of the sinking. But on Alice's urgng, he did go out to investigate and by then the nervous Bess Allison might have been very anxious considering the situation. But panicky or otherwise, Bess did take Loraine and get to the boat deck and according to Major Peuchen was actually sitting inside Lifeboat #6 before leaving it just before lowering when she realized that her husband would not be allowed too. Peuchen was also very clear in his statements that the panicking Bess Allison was searching for her husband Hudson and never said anything about her being worried about Alice and Tervor; the press made that up.

I read in the American Senate Inquiry transcript, that Harold Lowe was also being asked , if he did drink while on duty, and he showed the glass of water being the strongest he ever touched. Arun, thank you for the thorough statement :)

I read in the American Senate Inquiry transcript, that Harold Lowe was also being asked , if he did drink while on duty, and he showed the glass of water being the strongest he ever touched. Arun, thank you for the thorough statement :)
Good on ya Harold Lowe.... Same answer i give when pulled over by our thug cops here "Have you been drinking?" ... Yep.
Then they look like sailors who have sunk their toy boat when breath test me.
Oh, you didn't specify... Did i consume alcoholic beverage's? NO.

Then they demand "your license" .... So show them my Philippine license... "Oh, um, have you got a New Zealand license?"
Yep sure, you didn't specify

Mr Lowe is my type of guy.... Ha ha haa

Last edited:
Back