Why is he shunned

Hello,

I wanted to ask everyone on here a question about Robin Gardiner as there seem to be many experts on the boards. I am keen to know how he is considered amongst his contemporary titanic experts/historians. Whilst his theory is certainly intriguing it looks as though most of his contemporaries simply dismiss him, is this the case?

In addition to this are there any university courses which involved the RMS Titanic and if so would they consider using Gardiner in the process of the course?

I think what I would like to know is whether anyone entertains his theory and thinks he may have something? Or whether he simply dismissed out of hand and if so why is this. For instance there just seems to be a sort of 'isn't this absurd!' response rather than an response with evidence against his case.

I would love to get an idea of why he seems to be shunned.

Many thanks

Oliver,

quote:

I am keen to know how he is considered amongst his contemporary titanic experts/historians. Whilst his theory is certainly intriguing it looks as though most of his contemporaries simply dismiss him, is this the case?

I certainly think it’s true that Gardiner’s work has been dismissed, because it simply isn’t legitimate. Whether it’s his false arguments, inaccuracies or demonstrable falsehoods, there are so many flaws in his work that it is hard to take it seriously. These have been addressed at length.

quote:

I think what I would like to know is whether anyone entertains his theory and thinks he may have something?

Undoubtedly there are going to be people who believe in Gardiner’s theory. There are also people who claim that the Holocaust never happened. In a free society, people are entitled to their views, however absurd or deluded they might be.

quote:

Or whether he simply dismissed out of hand and if so why is this. For instance there just seems to be a sort of 'isn't this absurd!' response rather than an response with evidence against his case.

Not at all. Gardiner’s work has been assessed, with some very specific criticisms, on this forum and elsewhere many times over the past eight years. It is so flawed that not a single peer respected researcher or historian — having examined Gardiner’s case — takes Gardiner’s claims seriously.

(I once participated in another forum, where a participant liked to argue that people had not examined Gardiner’s work and had merely dismissed it without looking at it. The problem was that this argument was not true.)

You may find these links of interest, particularly the bottom one which contains a detailed analysis of Gardiner’s work:

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/TitanicConspiracy_Dossier.html

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/DISSERTATION.htm

Best wishes,

Mark.​

Back