Submarine activity on Titanic wreck

Wow, Phil and Andrew. Thanks so much for sharing the photos...but it is kinda sad in a way. Like the first time that one sees their great grandmother's grave and it is not well kept or perhaps a bicycle tire lying on it. It is just sad.
Maureen.

I'll second my thanks on that...even if it's with a tear in my eye. I know that we haven't seen the last of the dives on the wreck. I just hope they leave the ballast bags elsewhere..

Ahhhhhh....The Discovery just lifted off for the 100th shuttle mission. And without littering the pad with spare parts.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Do we know who left these bags? I haven't been able to spend much time on board lately, so maybe I missed something here. I remember reading in the book about James Cameron that the Russian vessels used water ballast, and that shot ballast had been used by Ballard's original discovery group.

Hello Mike Herbold.
Me thinks it may have been a lighting crew with a lot of lights. But no first hand knowledge on that. But some folks used Diesel fuel in bags to float a piece of titanic to the service and it, I think it foundered with the nets and bags. But I could be wrong on that as well.

And yes, where have you been? I sent the Murder She Wrote crew out to locate you and your wife had some excuse that you were out on the Queen Mary, QEII or some such nonsense. But we;ve gotten Scotland Yard on the case.
Maureen.

Hi Mo, and you weren't wrong about bags filled with deisel used to recover the Big Peice. The good news was that the fuel bag was recovered. The people who were involved in this little snafu couldn't afford to let it just drift around, so they made a special effort to retreive the one that tried to escape.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Thanks Michael. Did I learn that from that great piece of work you referred me to by the Discovery Channel or did I read it somewhere else? I knew I had seen or read something about that. Thanks Michael you are always great to have around in a pinch!
Maureen.

HiMo:
Sorry to be a stranger. Just haven't had much e-time. Not even enough hours to read all the postings lately. Another glance at "Titanic and the Making of James Cameron" and I see that they did drop a shotbag when they had trouble getting Mir back up to the surface on one of their last dives, but it more than likely landed a mile from the wreck. They always used water as ballast, but on this particular dive they were having trouble and used their emergency lead shot ballast also.

G'day all,
Thanks for your interest in the pics. I don't think they are that impressive actually but I guess they convey the point.
When I work out an easy way to lift the stills from analogue video I will ask Phil to replace these with clearer shots.
I also wanted you all to know that the place wasn't over run with junk, I basically saw two lots of ballast bags (each with chains attached), two nets, a few (new looking) ropes and a single beer bottle as mentioned in the GMA section of General Questions. I only captured (on film) one of the ballast bags/chains, a net and some ropes. To be honest I thought I would be showing my video and pics to my family and a few friends so I didn't get too fussy about what I shot! I was also a little under prepared.
For the record, I won my place on the expedition in a supermarket competition!! That my wife Winnie entered me in.
Mike Herbold,you asked if we know where the bags came from. You should try and get hold of a documentary called "The Investigation Begins" (Discovery Ch. I believe), it clearly shows the deisel float bags being weighed down with bags and chains. The float bags were used to lift the "big piece" (which was then dropped) and also used as buoyancy for some light towers that where used to illuminate the wreck.
The nets, well, I think they are obviously left over from salvage dives.
As for submersible ballast, the Mirs do not use any external ballast, only very powerfull pumps and strong ballast tanks. I do not know much about Alvin but I do know that all the film of Nautile that I have seen involves the sub going down with bags attached to it's skids and just like magic the bags are gone when it reaches the surface.
The Japanese sub, Shinkai, has never been to the Titanic.
Some time ago there was a fuss about the Mirs leaving junk on the wreck during the filming of the Imax movie (i think) in 1991, it was actually only one of the small side thruster propellers that was accidently broken off! Not good, but I think RMS T should not have made such a fuss. I suppose they thought they could say what they wanted and no one would ever know any better!
Anyway, it's late and I think I am jabbering on a bit.
Another for the record comment; I am not really sure if I am pro salvage or not but I don't think I like the way it is being handled now. With over 5000 items now recovered I think they have enough!! Maybe they could even send an exhibition down here one day! If we can handle the Olympics, we should be able to handle a Titanic exhibit.
Sleepy time
Andrew

Me again,
Mike,I have never seen the "making of" show but I am a little surprised that they used some ballast bags. I was aware of the Mirs having 350kgs of nickel shot as an emergency backup. I imagine 350kgs of this stuff would be expensive, so it must have been an emergency!
Andrew.

Mo...sorry it took me a day to respond, butthe phone links to my ISP croaked again last night. You may have found out about the deisel bags on The Discovery Channel.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Thanks so much guys for all the information.

And Andrew, where do you and Winnie shop, my grocer gives free pints of icecream about once every year or so,....I want a chance to win a trip.....but with my luck it will be to participate in the Million Family Walk happening in DC on the 16th....our subway is opening at 4am so that workers can get up early to get to work before the crowd who will out in full force by 6:30am! Think I will go out in just a net and a rope drapped on me and watch the Subway clear out.
he he
Thanks everyone for your input and thanks Andrew for sharing and thanks to Winnie for entering you in that contest!
Enjoy your day.
Maureen.

As they say Maureen, "You have to be in it to win it" and I am one of those people who never win anything, well, almost anything!!
At least I know if I never win another thing in my life, I am in front!
How I won is a bit of a funny story. I might write it under the "Introduce Yourself" header when I get a moment one day soon. Time is my big problem these days.
Will tell Winnie you said thanks. Sometimes she wishes she never entered my name in the competition! Lets just say that what I call an interest, she calls an obsession!! My 3 and 1/2 year old son, Terence, even calls the Titanic "Daddy's ship"

Bye for now,
Andrew.

You know Andrew, I was reading about it in the Library, Terence Roger's Daddy's Ship...it was there! Hmmmmmm.
Enjoy your day with Winnie and Terence!
Maureen.

Back