Is the Aft Grand Staircase still in the wreck

I was here wondering is the Aft Grand Staircase is still on the stern os the ship, or if it just floated up, like it is rumoured about the Main Grand Staircase.
I think no explorations inside the back of the ship have ever been done. Why don't they just develop tiny robots that can go inside the windows and explore from there? I know it's expensive... but at least it's a better use of money than when used in the construction of football stadiums or war.

quote:

I think no explorations inside the back of the ship have ever been done.
That's because the stern section is in such a terrible shape that it is prohibitive, if not impossible, to explore those interiors.​

The Aft grand staircase isnt no wheres to be found, the aft grand staircase was located on the aft wall of the recipriocating engine ventilation shaft, in the breakup this whole area broke up to small pieces including the aft staircase. I have heard on this site that they have found the Aft staircase dome most likely just the framework and i doubt its in good shape but i did also hear that theres no glass attached to the dome.

>>Why don't they just develop tiny robots that can go inside the windows and explore from there?<<

It's been tried to a certain point already. Robot drones have been getting smaller with each generation thanks in no small part to the electronics revolution and microprocessors. The interior exploration accomplished thus far by any expedition wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

The problem in this instance is that the stern section is such a shattered and imploded mess that it's considered too risky, even for robots.

Quite a bit of grand staircase wood was picked out of the water by the Minia, one section stenciled 'aft'- so odds are good the aft grand staircase did indeed detach from the stern, but likely crumbled apart....

I think wrought iron decorations and the skeleton of the dome have also been found in the debris field... I know some of the former have been brought to the surface.

The wrought iron and dome skeleton could have come form 2 different places, please remember.

We can pretty much lay to rest that the fwd staircase was ripped to shreds.

From what I understand, the theory on exactly WHERE the ship broke in half is still just that, a theory. If the ship broke as depicted in Cameron's movie (which I doubt) remnants of the aft staircase could well still be buried in the twisted and destroyed secion of the stern.

Now if the ship broke the way Ballard and others have thought it broke, that would mean the aft reception room (and staircase) would have been turned to toothpicks as the first class smoking room along with it.

Either way, either section (smoking room & Staircase reception) would be so far collapsed inward that anybody willing to pay for a robot to climb in there and possibly have the structure of the ship collapse on it would have to be gambling with QUITE a bit of $$$$$$$$. Those ROV's are no cheap toy.

Matthew-

quote:

From what I understand, the theory on exactly WHERE the ship broke in half is still just that, a theory.

Actually, it isn't a theory, really. The ship's main break occurred just aft of the third funnel. The thing about this, however, is that there was no "actual" point, as the missing section merely crumbled away as the bow continued listing to port.

As for for the aft grand staircase, it was first exposed to the sea when the starboard suites were pulled apart (those on port side were simultaneously crunched together as the hull plates on that side compressed). As the reciprocating exhaust fell out, the staircase followed, in pieces, likely out of the forward and top as the ship continued twisting to port upon its descent.

The smoking room didn't collapse, per se. As the aft boat deck pulled apart due to the increasing stress from the weight of the flooding water, the roof and walls were simply torn away, leaving the floor exposed to the sea. If anyone was in there (and it's believed that both Andrews and Stead were), whatever they went through must have been a nightmare, although chances are that the destruction happened so fast that, neither man (nor anyone else who happened to have been there) probably knew what hit him.

As a matter of fact, the top surface of the superstructure on the wreck of the stern, resting on the engines and curved down on either side is what's left of the smoking room.

I am developing an ET article on this, so I have been studying the detailed dynamics of the "break" for some time. If anyone else has any more information related to this, please feel free to share. Thanks!​

Given that the aft Grand Staircase was in the stern section which is a completely shattered mess that nobody even wants to risk an ROV to explore, I would submit that if the stair case was there when it hit bottom, it was in itty bitty pieces.

Compare This with Roy Mengot's Model of the stern as it was found in 1986.

I've already seen, and studied, these, Mike. They are two of my main sources. ;) Rest assured, from the way the ship crumbled and by the appearance of the wreck site, the aft grand staircase was long-gone before the stern hit bottom.

>>I've already seen, and studied, these, Mike.<<

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding but I was aiming that post at Matthew. I see by the time stamps that I was still digging this up when you posted.

>>Rest assured, from the way the ship crumbled and by the appearance of the wreck site, the aft grand staircase was long-gone before the stern hit bottom.<<

I agree. As mangled as this part of the ship is, about the only thing that stayed inside was either in as deep as you could go, or so securely bolted in that short of being hit with a nuke, it wasn't going anywhere.

Mike-

quote:

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding but I was aiming that post at Matthew. I see by the time stamps that I was still digging this up when you posted.

Yes, I know. I wasn't certain whether or not you remembered the research I've done on this. There was the possibility that you might have been questioning what I had said and were directing me to the sources. Sorry about that. My misunderstanding.

quote:

the only thing that stayed inside was either in as deep as you could go, or so securely bolted in that short of being hit with a nuke, it wasn't going anywhere.

And, as it appears, the only items that firmly set would have been the engines, and even the two forward reciprocators fell out due to the second (aft) break in the keel. When the stern hit bottom and the starboard hull flopped off, much of what was inside spewed out.

I will make exception for three other features: the main stairwell in the aft 3C area, the 2C entrance/elevator and the aft mast, but only because these three were a part of the ship's structure in areas that weren't really open or near an expansion joint. They were entrenched deep within the ship, so I can see why they didn't fall away as well.

Of course, there are the freezers, too . . . Such nitpicking, hehe.​

>>My misunderstanding.<<

No big deal.
wink.gif

>>Of course, there are the freezers, too . . . Such nitpicking, hehe.<<

There is that, but I doubt the implosion of this part of the structure did it a whole lot of good. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if some chunks are scattered about in the debris field.

Mike--

quote:

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if some chunks are scattered about in the debris field.

I take it that no pieces of it have yet been found? I am surprised by that. If any are ever found, they would definitely provide evidence as to what actually happened when it came under pressure of the flooding water, hull stresses, and the descent, the latter of which would have raged more than enough havoc on its own. The increasing water pressure is what likely caused the implosion. Imagine the damage it must have created within the ship.​

>>I take it that no pieces of it have yet been found?<<

Not that I'm aware of but I may have missed something.

>>I am surprised by that.<<

I'm not. It's a mighty BIG debris field out there. Surely any wood out in the mud has already ended up as a snack for something. Don't know about any iron fixtures like bulestrades.

Back