The wreck immediately after the sinking

You're right, liam, the explorers found many White Star plates and Port wine bottles. I saw some of them in the Titanic Exhibition that took place in Oporto in 2005. They're in an incredible condition of preservation!

Thanks, João

The teak benefitted by being deep inside the ship so wood boring organisms had a tougher time getting to it in the first place. That this is also a very tough species of wood also helped. Unfortunately, nothing out on the exterior of the ship had the same protection, and however the Grand Staircase left the ship (Ejected in pieces or intact) once it landed in the debris field, it was at the instant mercy of anything on the seabed which found wood to be a tasty snack.

Well some people claim you cant freeze liquor and wine is a type of liquor. I freezed some wine in a jar just to see and it frozed but in the ocean i dont think the wine would be frozen but theres always the possibility that it is frozen

Since the water at the wreck scene is liquid, obviously its at above zero degrees Celsius. Any liquor left in the wine bottles would be liquid also.

Curious things must happen when wine is frozen. The water in it freezes at zero but alcohol freezes at -117 Celsius. There are oodles of other complex compounds in the wine, each with its own freezing point. There's an excuse to get in some booze and experiment!

True dave but just like the case with boiling water, if water is under pressure it wont boil at 212 degs like it would if it wasnt. For instance say you put water in a container at 16 psi pressure and water normaly boils at 212 degs. well since you have it pressurised your looking at a boiling point of 260 degress. I should have probably looked it up before i said but considering ocean water has salt in it,ect,ect im not fully sure if ocean water freezes at the same degree as fresh water would.

Back