The wreck immediately after the sinking

>>does any one know were the lifejackets are now<<

Most of them are lost to history. A few, such as the one worn by Madeleine Astor are in the hands of some museums. Any others that might still extant would be in the hands of private collectors. The rest have long since been sent to the landfill or the furnace.

>>i have seen a photograph of quite a few on carpathia i wounder what happed to them<<

If you're talking about the lifeboats, nobody really knows. They were held for a time as assets while the lawsuits played out. It's not entirely out of the question that they may have eventually found their way to the davits of some other ships though this is questionable since there are problems with wooden clinker type boats that have been too long in the water remaining sound.

If I can translate, I suspect Liam's line in the post above is:

"No, I'm on about the lifejackets. I'll scan the picture in."

Being "on" about something in this context means "speaking of" or "talking about".

I believe the photo he's referring to is the one taken on the Carpathia showing a pile of lifejackets.

>>no im on about the lifejackets ill scan the picture in<<

I think I've already covered that ground, Liam. Other then a few in musuems (THS has one) and perhaps some in the hands of private collectors, it's not really known what happened to most of the lifejackets. Like the boats, it's concievable that they *might* have made it on another ship as equipment but there's just no way to know.

I seriously doubt that the paint would have faded after a week or two on bottom, that paint is very heavly lead based. You can see still white paint on a few of the D deck reciption room pillars and they are still the same brilliant white where paint remained but that is brilliant white after being on bottom for close to a century. I have seen laquor based paint sit for close to 30 years with dust settling on it and the most it did was put a slight dull on it nothing some wax and attention wouldnt have fixed.

Not sure if there would be airbubbles still coming from the wreck a week or two later considering the fact the bow slowly filled with water so the air had time to excape but now the stern one can only immagine.

What someone could do is make a CGI of the Titanic`s bow on how she would look after the water cleared. That is if anyone would take that project on. Me personaly I would but on my list that would be at the very bottom below CGI of her sinking or impact with the iceberg.

Not sure about the bodies would be around there after a week considering a body especially with a lifejacket on it would be a very very slow fall to the sea floor and in that time any number of fish or other sea life could feast on the bodies before they got to the bottom.

>>do you think there would be things still intact in the safe<<

It's possible depending on what the materials were. I would think any precious metals as well as some jewelry would hold up quite well. I'm not so sure about paper items such as cash.

Actually, when the Titanic was first found in 1985, Ken Marschall painted a view of the ship and sent the painting to Time magazine ... they ran the painting on the cover of the next issue. That in itself is remarkable, since it was unsolicited!

But I digress. The painting showed the Titanic sitting on the bottom with a submersible approaching the bow, a stream of bubbles coming from the fantail of the submersible.

Dr. Ballard commented to Ken something along the lines that he liked the painting, but the bubbles were not realistic -- the extreme pressure at that depth compresses air so that it would be miniscule bubbles not visible to the human eye.

So, based on a story that was told me at the time, I'll opine that Dr. Ballard was right, and bubbles wouldn't be coming from the ship at all, let alone two weeks later.

there is still lots of jewelry and personal belonging in the safety deposit boxes or whatever they called them then.didnt the person in charge stop them getting them

I'm amazed that some types of wood have survived, on Cameron's final trip he explored the Turkish Baths and the Teak ( or other hardwood ) carvings are still there. In a dining room pantry unbroken plates are still on their wooden shelves. Yet all the deck handrails probably disappeared decades ago.

Back