Jack Phillips memorials

Today I travelled to Godalming and Farncombe in my home county of Surrey in S.E. England. In particular I visited the Jack Phillips Memorial Gardens and Cloister in Godalming, and the nearby village of Farncombe.

The memorial at Godalming is the largest in the world to a single Titanic victim. Jack grew up in Godalming and sang in the choir of St John's church in Farncombe.

Several websites contain photographs, illustrations and written descriptions relating to the various memorials, eg:

www.godalming-tc.gov.uk/his_phillips.htm
www.waverley.gov.uk/parks/phillips2.asp
www.godalming-museum.org.uk/jack_grave.html
www.godalming-museum.org.uk/jack_history.html
www.godalming-museum.org.uk/cloister_out.html
www.godalming-museum.org.uk/cloister_in.html
www.godalming-museum.org.uk/titanic.html
www.godalming.org.uk/Titanic.html

They are all worth reading, and the actual sites well worth visiting if practical to do so.

I've been there, it was my Holy Grail. It's so beautiful. And there's a pub in the High Street that makes a mean lunch!

Wasn't the Memorial Garden designed by a famous garden designer?

I was there too...lovely as one could ever hope to see. And the garden was designed by Gertrude Jekyll. The memorial itself was designed by Hugh Thackeray Turner.

Hi Tony.

Quick question: have you been to New York's Battery Park? There you'll find, not far from the docks is the Wireless Operators Memorial, for those lost at sea. Second on the memorial is Jack Phillips.

John

Thanks for the additional information. I've not yet been to New York and I didn't know of the memorial you refer to. I'll have to bear it in mind when I do visit the Big Apple, as I intend to one day. I'll be a bit nearer to it later this month when I shall be visiting New England.

Tony

Beautiful site, isn't it, Tony? I used to love popping down for a visit when I lived in London, and perhaps a Sunday lunch. You step off the train and the beautiful Surrey countryside just surrounds you, like the choco-box visions of British villages come to life. The gently flowing Wey, the wooded slopes, Hatch Mill and the Ock, the pubs and churches. The older pubs as well as the newer Wetherspoon's 'Jack Philips'. All my memories of Godalming are very happy and pleasant.

John, I finally got around to visiting the Battery Park memorial with MAB and Ro when I was there last November. Took some great photos of that and the WTC Globe, as well as some of the other monuments there. Thank goodness for the fantastic guides - there's always something to be said for visiting with locals!

Inger

The main memorial is indeed a beautiful site. Your lyrical prose does more justice to it than anything I could write.

I was lucky to choose a day of glorious weather for my visit. Everything looked its best. Godalming is an attractive town with quite a history for several reasons. Even Farncombe still has a little old railway station.

The lady rector at Farncombe was very welcoming. Not surprisingly they say they have quite a few visitors drawn by the Titanic connection.

Tony

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm a little unsure how Jack Phillips would have felt having an iceberg (effectively the cause of his death) used as his headstone. What would have happened if he'd simply been knocked down by a No. 61 bus?

Geoff

I think to visit Godalming and Farncombe in July. I would like to know much those 2 towns where Jack lived.
That must be impressive to be there.
I never went to England then it' s a good occasion.

Nadine - From my book Titanic Memorials Worldwide - Where They are Located I give you the following:
Phillips, John George (Jack). Chief Wireless Operator. Has perhaps the largest Titanic memorial, namely 'The Phillips Memorial Cloister', by the River Wey, covering some three acres, at Godalming, Surrey. Inscribed on the memorial stone is: 'The Cloister is built in memory of John George Phillips a native of this town Chief Wireless Telegraphist of the ill-fated S.S. Titanic. He died at his post when the vessel foundered in mid Atlantic on the 15th Day of April 1912'. Also inscribed on a stone by the drinking fountain is:
'The Postal Clerks Association Provided This Fountain and Contributed towards the Erection Of This Memorial'
also named on large memorial stone in the family grave at Godalming Old Cemetery, Deanery Road., Farncombe, Surrey.
also has a fine brass plaque in the north aisle, of St John the Evangelist Church in Farncombe, Surrey.
also the Godalming Post Office, Surrey, had a memorial copper plaque made showing a portrait of Jack surrounded by a wreath featuring the initials J.G.P. Whereabouts not known at present.
also in Madrid, Spain, Post Office there is a memorial painting/photograph of Jack.
also a large painting presented to the Borough by Godalming Grammar School, Surrey, in 1913. This painting is now held by the Town Clerk's office at Godalming, Surrey and can be viewed by contacting the Town Clerk.
also Godalming Museum, Godalming, Surrey, has a permanent exhibition in memory of John (Jack) Phillips.
also named on a fine memorial (Wireless Operators) at Battery Park, New York.

Your best bet is to go to the above museum and they are most helpful and will give you all the details and directions that you need.
Very best regards

Brian

Hi Brian - Just a quick update for your list. The Ellis Martin oil painting of JGP is no longer in storage at the Town Clerk's office in Godalming. It was restored and is now on permanent display on the first floor of the town museum (which is open every day except Sundays and Mondays.)
All the best
Mandy

Back